• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:02

Since when are business deals considered bullying?

#62 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 17:55

I get tired of seeing this bull about MS not being good to indie game developers and making their lives harder and stuff. Being a good friend of one (James Silva, creator of The Dishwasher) through XNA (will forever be sad about it dying) and his take (positive) with MS, it seems to me that everyone has different experiences (good or bad) but it's always business stuff. People forget that Microsoft has Xbox Live Indie Games, it's pretty straightforward (basically like the App Store) and there are thousands of "indie" (which really is a misused term) games that got through that fine. It's the games that want to be on Xbox Live Arcade (more "pro" than "indie") that have "issues."

Yes, they lose stuff like achievements and stuff, but if you want those features and charge different prices, you need to deal with MS. Otherwise, use Xbox Live Indie Games and release your game.

Oh and Playstation and Nintendo both don't have an Xbox Live Indie Game equivalent, yet those companies are praised while MS isn't. Granted, I do feel bad that MS and "indies" have a hard time with MS because it sucks for the games. 

#63 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:00

I get tired of seeing this bull about MS not being good to indie game developers and making their lives harder and stuff. Being a good friend of one (James Silva, creator of The Dishwasher) through XNA (will forever be sad about it dying) and his take (positive) with MS, it seems to me that everyone has different experiences (good or bad) but it's always business stuff. People forget that Microsoft has Xbox Live Indie Games, it's pretty straightforward (basically like the App Store) and there are thousands of "indie" (which really is a misused term) games that got through that fine. It's the games that want to be on Xbox Live Arcade (more "pro" than "indie") that have "issues."

Yes, they lose stuff like achievements and stuff, but if you want those features and charge different prices, you need to deal with MS. Otherwise, use Xbox Live Indie Games and release your game.

Oh and Playstation and Nintendo both don't have an Xbox Live Indie Game equivalent, yet those companies are praised while MS isn't. Granted, I do feel bad that MS and "indies" have a hard time with MS because it sucks for the games.

Exactly.

Regarding these stories I often don't take them too seriously. Its not like MS are going to defend their corner is it? You only ever hear one side of the story.

Id watch the Indie Games Documentary on Netflix guys.