59 replies to this topic

#1 +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,063 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:04

iphone-5-home.jpg?w=618

Numerous reports, including one published recently by Reuters, claim that Apple’s next-generation iPhone 5S will include a new fingerprint scanner. Making use of technology gained from the AuthenTec acquisition, Apple’s new iPhone may provide enhanced security and other features that make use of an embedded scanner. While rumors have been flying for months, a newly published Apple patent may finally reveal some specific information regarding how Apple’s new fingerprint scanner will work.

The iPhone 5S may indeed be Apple’s first “S” phone to include a major hardware revision, and a recently filed patent uncovered by Patently Apple could detail the technology that will be featured in Apple’s new phone. The patent describes a fingerprint scanning mechanism that is incorporated into the bezel of a device like the iPhone, and that could be used to provide secure authentication for a variety of functions.

Details can be found on Patently Apple’s site, which is linked below.

apple-fingerprint-patent.jpg?w=942

http://bgr.com/2013/...details-patent/

#2 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,622 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:09

Can't wait to hear the Apple engineers claim it's a first in a mobile device, so revolutionary  :rofl:

#3 rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• 884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:10

How is this new technology? Apple didn't invent fingerprint scanners, nor did they come up with the idea for embedding it in the bezel of a device... HP and Dell laptops, for instance, have had biometric scanners for a long time...

EDIT: Also forgot about the Moto Atrix....

#4 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:13

Are you paid by BGR or something?  EVERYTHING that you post comes from there.  :s

#5 OP +V-Tech

V-Tech

Neowinian Senior

• 3,063 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:16

How is this new technology? Apple didn't invent fingerprint scanners, nor did they come up with the idea for embedding it in the bezel of a device... HP and Dell laptops, for instance, have had biometric scanners for a long time...

EDIT: Also forgot about the Moto Atrix....

You dont get it?! When others do it then it's just "o.k, nice" BUT when Apple does it then it's "NEW, INNOVATIVE, AMAZING, FRESH, NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE"....  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Are you paid by BGR or something?  EVERYTHING that you post comes from there.  :s

Not really, i post from several sources that i read frequently, BGR is one of them, Engadget is another and there are few others.....

#6 rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• 884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:23

You dont get it?! When others do it then it's just "o.k, nice" BUT when Apple does it then it's "NEW, INNOVATIVE, AMAZING, FRESH, NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE"....  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Not really, i post from several sources that i read frequently, BGR is one of them, Engadget is another and there are few others.....

OMG THIS IS TWO FROM THAT ONE SITE IN THE SAME DAY YOU MUST BE PAID BY THEM!  or... they're another source for news?

And lol, of course. FINGER PRINT SCANNERS WERE INVENTED BY APPLE! so innovative.  I mean, it's not like anyone ever has even thought about using a finger print as an identifier! why couldn't I see that?  Thank you V-Tech for enlightening me.

#7 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:24

Personally I hope they don't put this in the 5S or any iPhone for that matter.

I imagine this would cause a lot of people to drop their phone since it would be awkward to scan your finger on the bezel properly.

And because of that, I don't see that feature being something amazing that everybody would use.

Give us something that people would care about, such as a bigger screen or stereo speakers or something.

Or maybe I'm in the minority here. :)

#8 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,465 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:31

Gosh that would mean holding the iphone with one hand and using the other for the scan..........that would never do Apple :woot: :laugh:

#9 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,139 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:32

Personally I hope they don't put this in the 5S or any iPhone for that matter.

I imagine this would cause a lot of people to drop their phone since it would be awkward to scan your finger on the bezel properly.

And because of that, I don't see that feature being something amazing that everybody would use.

Give us something that people would care about, such as a bigger screen or stereo speakers or something.

Or maybe I'm in the minority here. :)

Nah i think this is very useful, using a finger print scanner to access the phone instead of typing a code is amazing, but i do agree it may be awkward it would be cool if you could place your thumb on the screen and have it read that way, not sure if that is at all possible but would certainly be easier.

On a side note: the amount of pathetic posts on here quick to jump down apple's throat. At what point does it say they have invented finger print scanning in a phone? The article states they have invented a device that fits into the bezel of their phone, which is absolutely true... It's referring to this exact device, as apposed to buying something on the market and sticking that in there... and you can say what you want, this will be the first phone where it's done right and actually useful, and then everyone else will follow..

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:34

Nah i think this is very useful, using a finger print scanner to access the phone instead of typing a code is amazing, but i do agree it may be awkward it would be cool if you could place your thumb on the screen and have it read that way, not sure if that is at all possible but would certainly be easier.

Agreed. I was also hoping it would be something integrated into the screen or even the camera.  That would be most impressive.

#11 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,487 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:36

I honestly have no idea what you have in mind, but I put my thumb on the home button countless times a day. Same goes for practically every other iPhone user. And no, I don't drop my iPhone countless times a day on the floor as well. Even if the scanner is located next to the home button it's still just as easy to reach it.

#12 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:44

This will only truly become mainstream when your fingerprint can be read by the screen...  I'm sure Microsoft's PixelSense Technology has legs, maybe at some point it will advance to the point where this would be possible.

#13 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,933 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:51

I'm sure they'll have the prints transmitted and stored securely in a database that no government can access ;)

#14 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,119 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:56

I honestly have no idea what you have in mind, but I put my thumb on the home button countless times a day. Same goes for practically every other iPhone user. And no, I don't drop my iPhone countless times a day on the floor as well. Even if the scanner is located next to the home button it's still just as easy to reach it.

Umm what?  You do realize that the scanner will be integrated into the bezel, right?  Try doing a finger swipe on the bezel using one hand.  It's not exactly the best idea since you're loosening your grip.  The only location that it might be okay would be on top next to the power button.  Regardless you have to center your finger for a straight swipe which is pretty awkward.  I can guarantee that more people will drop their phones because of it.

#15 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:09

I think this is definitely a good feature for those that need the extra security. It will just depend on how well it works. I'm guessing size has prevented them from including one in the past. It would definitely be a better implementation if you could just hold your finger in one spot rather than sliding it though.