• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 +rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• 880 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:09

The article states they have invented a device that fits into the bezel of their phone, which is absolutely true... It's referring to this exact device, as apposed to buying something on the market and sticking that in there... and you can say what you want, this will be the first phone where it's done right and actually useful, and then everyone else will follow..

The title "

Apple invention may reveal fingerprint scanning tech headed to iPhone 5S"

states that they INVENTED IT. Which, in reality, another company (that they purchased) invented it, and they modified it. Pathetic fanboyism saying it's going to be better than the ones on the market AND saying they invented it.

Also, they're attempting to patent an idea that was invented a looooong time ago. Fingerprint scanner in a bezel (see motorola atrix)    It's just another attempt to be able to patent troll anyone who wants to use a fingerprint scanner.

duuurrrrr its gonna be the best because it's shiny and white! ah duuurrrr

#17 Tager

Tager

Neowinian Senior

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:20

what if you don't have fingerprints?

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:20

Apple invention.  Got a chuckle out of me.  I am guessing it is innovative as well.

#19 +rr_dRock

rr_dRock

• 880 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:22

what if you don't have fingerprints?

Alrighty then Agent J Agent T   lmao.

#20 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,919 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:34

Alrighty then Agent J    lmao.

He would be Agent T

#21 +rr_dRock

rr_dRock

• 880 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:36

He would be Agent T

And corrected I stand,   Agent T.

#22 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,475 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:38

Umm what?  You do realize that the scanner will be integrated into the bezel, right?  Try doing a finger swipe on the bezel using one hand.  It's not exactly the best idea since you're loosening your grip.  The only location that it might be okay would be on top next to the power button.  Regardless you have to center your finger for a straight swipe which is pretty awkward.  I can guarantee that more people will drop their phones because of it.

It all depends on the location and then there's also your second hand. I'm sure Apple will think of a good place... Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your research regarding how many iPhones are dropped because of the sensor.

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,044 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:59

It all depends on the location and then there's also your second hand. I'm sure Apple will think of a good place... Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your research regarding how many iPhones are dropped because of the sensor.

Being required to use your second hand isn't a good solution.  Like I said, the top would probably be the only reasonable location for it, but even then, you're applying downward force via the swipe, and the swipe will be at an angle (due to the aesthetics of a hand) unless you re-position your hand.  If it doesn't recognize the crooked swipe, then you'll have to try again.  Even that sensor on laptops is really picky.  Having to repeat a swipe or re-position your hand all will attribute to more drops.  No research is needed because that's common sense...

#24 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,713 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:01

Your fingerprinting it wrong!

#25 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,111 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:12

The title "

Apple invention may reveal fingerprint scanning tech headed to iPhone 5S"

states that they INVENTED IT. Which, in reality, another company (that they purchased) invented it, and they modified it. Pathetic fanboyism saying it's going to be better than the ones on the market AND saying they invented it.

Also, they're attempting to patent an idea that was invented a looooong time ago. Fingerprint scanner in a bezel (see motorola atrix)    It's just another attempt to be able to patent troll anyone who wants to use a fingerprint scanner.

duuurrrrr its gonna be the best because it's shiny and white! ah duuurrrr

AGAIN: It does not say they have invented scanning tech, it says they have an invention thats going to bring scanning tech to the iPhone, which, AGAIN: Is absolutely true.

#26 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,044 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:17

AGAIN: It does not say they have invented scanning tech, it says they have an invention thats going to bring scanning tech to the iPhone, which, AGAIN: Is absolutely true.

+10

It's not worth trying to reason with somebody who, for one, didn't read the actual patent, and two, doesn't have the capacity to understand what's being patented.  It's always comical seeing how some of these Apple haters don't have the slightest clue how the patent system works.

#27 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,044 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:31

Trust me, its funnier seeing apple fans freak out when someone someone says something negative (even as a joke) about apple.

Even as a fan,  you should be able to admit that apple usually tries to patent stuff that shouldn't be patented.

There's lots and lots of people on both sides that are drama queens.  :D

You're right in a sense.  Basically they're just taking advantage of a broken system, so they aren't really doing anything wrong (legally).

The only one that they really shouldn't have gotten was the "rectangle" one, but if they even dreamed of using it against somebody, it would be invalidated in a heartbeat.

All their other patents are generally very detailed and are very precise as to what they want protection on.

#28 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 7,868 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:45

Fingerprint reader/scanner isn't new... it has been around for many years.. I was a tester for a security company that made fingerprint reader/scanner for my PC back in 90's.

Some laptops have fingerprint reader ... which one of my laptops does but I never used it.

#29 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,111 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:54

Trust me, its funnier seeing apple fans freak out when someone someone says something negative (even as a joke) about apple.

Even as a fan,  you should be able to admit that apple usually tries to patent stuff that shouldn't be patented.

To be honest i just get annoyed when people jump on the band wagon and ruin threads because it's about Apple, it's at a stage now it's not even worth talking about Apple on Neowin.

#30 +rr_dRock

rr_dRock

• 880 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 21:20

+10

It's not worth trying to reason with somebody who, for one, didn't read the actual patent, and two, doesn't have the capacity to understand what's being patented.  It's always comical seeing how some of these Apple haters don't have the slightest clue how the patent system works.

Apple hater I am eh?   Too bad I own both an iMac (mid 2007) and an iPhone 4S. Use them both every day. Too bad you don't have the capacity to see that not everyone who thinks this is a ridiculously overstated article, isn't necessarily an apple hater.

Oh, and just so you know. I understand they're patenting something that's already been invented, and put into use by other companies, just like every other thing they've patented over the last few years. No innovation comes from Apple itself, it all comes from other companies. =)

Mkay. So let me explain this again.    The title says they invented tech to put fingerprint scanning into the bezel of a device..... no. They took an existing idea and modified it to fit their needs (that's ignoring the fact that the tech was created by another entity completely).... That's not inventing. Inventing is creating something that never existed.... so. AGAIN. you're wrong.

To be honest i just get annoyed when people jump on the band wagon and ruin threads because it's about Apple, it's at a stage now it's not even worth talking about Apple on Neowin.

You just keep calling the pot black there kettle.