58 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,219 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:06

Windows RT facing pressure from being isolated

Microsoft's Windows RT operating system may fall to the same fate as Hewlett-Packard's (HP) webOS as most brand vendors have already stopped developing related products, leaving Microsoft's second-generation Surface RT, the only Windows RT-based device in the next-generation tablet competition, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Microsoft is also having trouble gaining growth in the smartphone industry, the company currently only has less than 1% and 3% shares in tablet and smartphone markets, respectively, the sources said.

Although Microsoft has been pushing measures including adding Outlook e-mail and calendar applications to its Surface RT, dropping Surface RT's prices in Japan, and providing students special prices for its Surface RT, to promote the ARM-based operating system, the efforts are unlikely to be answered with demand, the sources noted.

As for the smartphone segment, players such as Acer, Asustek Computer and ZTE, have also recently started postponing development of Windows Phone 8-based products, making Microsoft face difficulties gaining momentum in the mobile device market, the sources added.

The sources pointed out that Microsoft is also facing competition from operating system such as Chrome and Tizen, in the PC industry, and Windows 8.1's success will be important for maintaining Microsoft's morale in the IT market.

Source: Digitimes

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,687 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:08

Wow. They can't compete with Surface so they gave up. Shameful.

#3 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,342 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:13

the beauty of windows rt is that it doesn't have to do anything at all to become huge, it can rely on windows 8 to do all the work. ARM is still cheaper than intel,so RT will still exist. 

#4 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,488 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:20

this article is funny: a few days ago a article claimed that all the indicators show that a second gen RT was coming soon; now the same indicators show that RT is a failure? this product has only a year of life, give it time to grown.

#5 glen8

glen8

Neowinian

• 1,080 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:28

as an RT tablet and Win8 Pro desktop owner I'm not surprised.

as much as I try to like RT tablets (or Pro tablets) the operating system just isn't properly designed.

Example....(it's just one of many btw)

iPad/Android.....  Perform a system update (2 minutes) DONE.  Factory reset device (1 minute).  Device is still up to date

Windows RT/Pro....  Perform Windows Updates (2 Hours & 4 Reboots).  Then do MS Store App Updates (9 times out of 10 they hang).  Reboot, try again.  Factory Reset (30 minutes).  Device now needs fully updating again.

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,937 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:36

this article is funny: a few days ago a article claimed that all the indicators show that a second gen RT was coming soon; now the same indicators show that RT is a failure? this product has only a year of life, give it time to grown.

The two are not mutually exclusive. The Surface RT has significantly underperformed in the market place but Microsoft wants Windows RT to be a success, so it will push ahead with a second gen model regardless. Third party manufacturers have all but abandoned the platform and consumer demand appears to be weak, so I think it's fair to class Windows RT as a failure.

#7 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,582 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:41

I've actually read today that beyond Microsoft no other companies are actively developing a second generation of Windows RT devices.

Or consumers just aren't all that interested.

#8 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,843 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:43

The sources pointed out that Microsoft is also facing competition from operating system such as Chrome and Tizen, in the PC industry

:D :laugh: :rofl:

#9 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,630 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:47

The sources pointed out that Microsoft is also facing competition from operating system such as Chrome and Tizen, in the PC industry, and Windows 8.1's success will be important for maintaining Microsoft's morale in the IT market.

Source: Digitimes

What the hell?  Tizen hasn't been released yet.  Chrome, maybe since it has been recently announced that Chromebooks will be available in three times as many locations soon than it is now.  But that depends on if they sell.

Or consumers just aren't all that interested.

And with Office for iPhone, and probably soon for iPad...will not help RT any.

#10 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:51

Who's ass did you pull that gem from?

#11 nMIK-3

nMIK-3

Neowinian

• 235 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:53

Does ARM processors facing pressure from being isolated?? Short answer: NO they are awesome and they are everywhere.

So why the Windows (RT) version that is design to specifically support ARM, is facing pressure from being isolated?

#12 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:56

Windows RT/Pro....  Perform Windows Updates (2 Hours & 4 Reboots).  Then do MS Store App Updates (9 times out of 10 they hang).  Reboot, try again.  Factory Reset (30 minutes).  Device now needs fully updating again.

Holy ######! 2 hours?! What the hell are you doing? I've restored Windows 8 in less than 30 minutes, that includes updates.

#13 Tegument

Tegument

Neowinian

• 147 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:57

Im soooo tired of retarded articles like this...as soon as I see this uninformed garbage I move on

#14 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,692 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:58

Holy ****! 2 hours?! What the hell are you doing? I've restored Windows 8 in less than 30 minutes, that includes updates.

That and you can use RT with managed update services so downloading takes seconds

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"WUServer"="https://wsus.me.com:8531/"
"WUStatusServer"="https://wsus.me.com:8531/"

#15 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,687 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:59

Who's ass did you pull that gem from?

Not once did OEMs even try to release a competing RT tablet, they simply gave up instead of trying to do anything meaningful.