Rumour: Xbox One family sharing was a "45min demo"

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#91 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 21 June 2013 - 20:18

It doesn't seem clear that it's not true. We won't know because it most likely won't see the light of day anytime soon. If they had implemented a time limit, it won't be there in the future. 

None of the official posting or wording about sharing said anything or hinted at any type of time limit.  The limits where probably in other forms, like 10 members max and you probably couldn't change that list often, maybe you had to wait 30 days or something to remove and add someone new for all we know. 

The other limit was probably in the form of how many could actually play at the same time.  The majority expected it to be you and one of the 10 people which meant the other 9 had to wait their turn and so on.  If so then you don't need a time limit at all, why would you?  At that point if it's limited to 1 friend at a time it'd be no different than actually lending them your disc like today.

I'm hoping the 'opt-in' feature will be coming myself. Family sharing would be a great feature.

I think the best way to do it, and maybe how they will, is that gold members get it only and that it's only for games you get to digitally which will leave out your disc copies.  After that they could have a opt-in that will then let you turn those disc copies into digital and make it how it was going to be originally.   I don't think they're going to take very long in bringing back these features they took out, it's not in their long term plan to do so.  I think that within 2-4 years we'll be able to select our Xbox One work as originally intended and get all the sharing benefits that come with it.

#92 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 June 2013 - 20:45

Yeah, you do not know that. All Microsoft said was that you could share it with 10 family members from you friends list. If user A, shares a games with user B, then there is nothing stating that user B can not share his own games with C.  Families are massive. Brothers, sisters, cousins of all kind, in-laws etc and could well excede 10 people.

What that means is that the 10 family members that my brother share his games with, of which I am one of, do not necessarily have to be  the same family members that I have to share my games with.

Even if we allow that peopel could be members of multiple familes as I stated, your math isn't based on the real world.

your "math" would only work if Main user A, shared CoD5 with B in circle one, Then B shared A's CoD5 with circle 2, and Then user C shared user A's CoD5 again with circle 3 and so on.

And while we don't know if people could only be part of one family circle(but it's a fair assumption) we DO know that other uses can't re-share the main owners games. The only people who can access a shared game are the ones that are members of the owners circle. so your math is BS. still only ever 10 people who can access one Copy of CodD5, Still only 1(maybe 2, but I really doubt it) that could play it at one time(if it was 1, then anyone else would get booted when user A wanted to play it, if it was 2 then it's the owner and one other, and anyone else in the circle trying to play it would get a message it's "busy").

You math only works on cascading loans. 

Hmm front page says 60 mins this says 45

doesn't matter since it was made up anyway. and the pastebin said 15-45 with some titles 60. FTR. But again,k it was made up attention ###### BS. 

#93 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 20:46

Still worth it to get rid of the disadvantages of discs while still getting the advantages of it.

MS/Sony are not? going to offer digital copies you can buy directly through the console?

#94 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 21 June 2013 - 20:51

MS/Sony are not? going to offer digital copies you can buy directly through the console?

Yes but now they're just locked to you and that console.  It sounds like you can still access them if you login to your account on another Xbox One but the sharing is gone and you can't also give them away/sell them which also sounded like it was going to be the case.

It would've been cool if I could sell any XBLA type titles I'm done with instead of being stuck with them forever since I'll never play them again. 

#95 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 21 June 2013 - 21:52

From Paul thurrott

“At the present time we're no longer going forward with [family sharing], but it is not completely off the table,” the anonymous maybe-engineer writes. “It is still possible to implement this with the digital downloaded versions of games, and in fact that's the plan still as far as I'm aware.”

I guess we’ll see how limited it is if and when that happens.

Update: I was right to be suspicious of that Pastebin post: It's baloney. Xbox's Aaron Greenberg has tweeted that There was no time limit [in family sharing], it was as we described. Team still investing in more digital features over time." I'm not a told you so kind of guy, but... well. :)

#96 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 22:25

Like i said in another thread, there would be no way it would be unlimited usage. Buy once let 10 people play unrestricted?? Effect would be worse than piracy :woot:

#97 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:19

It's confirmed that it's not limited

#98 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:41

People get worked up about rumors, they announce everything.  

People get worked up by the true, the revert everything.  

People get worked up about rumors....

#99 Superboy

Superboy

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:19

Thank you, now I can go back to bitching about not having it anymore. *sigh*

I think everyone who wants this feature (and others like the fast switching) should just download all of their games. We need to be in preparation of this feature. I know I am.

so he posted

@EvilFiek No, that would be silly. Don't believe everything you read online!

and you go and believe him?????

#100 Zedox

Zedox

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:11

so he posted

@EvilFiek No, that would be silly. Don't believe everything you read online!

and you go and believe him?????

Yes. Because he said don't believe "EVERYTHING", and I chose to believe what he says compared to what a random pastebin said.

So if he said "Yes, it is true. Don't believe everything you read online." would you believe him or no?

I think I have a little bit more faith in someone who exposes his true self online instead of being an anonymous person.

#101 Rodrigo

Rodrigo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:47

Yes. Because he said don't believe "EVERYTHING", and I chose to believe what he says compared to what a random pastebin said.

So if he said "Yes, it is true. Don't believe everything you read online." would you believe him or no?

I think I have a little bit more faith in someone who exposes his true self online instead of being an anonymous person.

But... BUT... BUT... YOU ARE DELUSIONAL MAN! Someone probably hacked their Twitter accounts! Or better yet, they are lying and trying to save their asses (and you are a fool for believing them)! No, no... I just think it's unrealistic to think the Family Sharing feature worked this way, so I'll say it's impossible it could have been this way! :woot:

I think this deserves its own thread, I don't doubt this confirmation will get lost somehow in the following days' discussions.

I hope they ban this CBoaT guy now. :laugh:

#102 ~Nikhil~

~Nikhil~

Neowinian

• Phone: lumia 800

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:56

case closed ...now lets wait for next rumour

#103 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:21

Told you so.

Now maybe idiots will stop posting stupid rumours that were found on Pastebin, i mean FFS, we're supposed to be grownups. 

A few users on here are turning the site in to the tech worlds version of 'Hello' magazine.

#104 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:46

So, not true then.

I still think there was more to the family sharing than we know though. Microsoft are the last company I'd expect to give away something for nothing, and the gaming industry as a whole is perennially greedy. Just didn't add up to me as a good enough deal  for developers and Microsoft for it to function as many here were believing it to. 

#105 Graimer

Graimer

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:08

40gb is a completely random number you pulled out of thin air, but if it was true, wouldn't you have to download the shared game anyway? If it was cloud based, it would be prohibitive for anyone without a fast enough connection rendering the function useless for a lot of people.

Yes. 40gb is random. 10-20gb is more realistic, but the point is I'd like the digital features like family sharing while being able to install it fast with disc (since I, unlike my family, paid for the game :-)  ).  And as I said in the same post: did anyone say that the family couldn't install from disc too? The game license is shared using the cloud (requires internet) and you could download from the cloud. However, I didn't see anyone specify that downloading was the ONLY option for the family members. Also, for me personally, every one I share with has 25/25 mbit/s or faster, so it would be a problem.