Outlook or Gmail?

If true, that's ridiculous!

I just tested this again just to be sure I remembered it correctly.

If exe is zipped you can send it from outlook and also receive messages with exe attached. Gmail doesn't allow messages with exe files even when zipped, thats for both send and receive.

I noticed this when I tried to send one VS project into my gmail from my work email. There is Google drive though but old habits die hard :/

• 1 month later...

I think they're both basically good, they'll do the job. It is more about the "environment". If you want a windows phone, a Surface, and a Windows8 PC...I would go with outlook. If you want an android phone and chrome OS...I would go gmail.

Also, if you're creating a new email address - make it something simple and usable for the "general public" (you're giving it to an employer!) also, on the same account, because its easier, create a "spam" alias - I use "_1" as my spam alias. so myemail_1@hotmail.com for when you have to register, and you know you're going to be spammed =P If you alias starts getting a little too much spam, delete it and create another.

• Like 2

I think they're both basically good, they'll do the job. It is more about the "environment". If you want a windows phone, a Surface, and a Windows8 PC...I would go with outlook. If you want an android phone and chrome OS...I would go gmail.

That's my thinking too. 

Been using both gmail and outlook from long time, Outlook works best for me, syncs well with my Symbian device and xperia android phone, plus it feels less bloated then gmail. Try both, chose whichever you like.

Since Outlook still does not have IMAP support, Gmail.

I like the layout of Outlook and the feature set of Gmail :rofl: .

If it were easy to change email addresses I probably would... but it seems more often when I attempt to change my email I actually just add another email address to check or forward or w/e.  I got rid of a bunch of these extra email addresses and settled on my Gmail one a few years ago.

I use GMAIL since it integrates better with my Android phone.  If I ever go WP, I may switch over to Outlook.

I did this.

Used to use Gmail but then since I left Android, I found Outlook much better to use.

For some reason I just like it more than Gmail and with Gmail's new pop-out for compose, I don't like that at all. Plus, they openly said you shouldn't expect your email to be private, whereas Outlook pride themselves on you privacy, coupled together with Microsoft leading the way in "do not track" features on their browser and such.

But then it's like Intel and AMD, nVidia and ATi... every tech company has good years and bad years. Gmail is entering their bad years, while Outlook is just coming into their good years, in my opinion.

But then it's easy for me to switch and change as I have a custom address which just forwards mail to another address, so I never actually use the @gmail or @outlook addresses.

I use Outlook, simply because I feel Microsoft is the lesser of two evils when it comes to privacy. Frankly, I'm in search of a 3rd option. I'd like to find a reputable service that donates some of their ad profits to charity.

I've used Gmail since 2005. I originally used an email client (Thunderbird) but I found the web interface to work well enough. Through all those years, my experience has been nearly flawless. I've had some problems with syncing contacts with my Android phone, but that's about the worst of it.

Outlook.com, on the other hand, looks great but it doesn't work well for me (unresponsive, random reloads). However, I'll admit It could be something I'm doing wrong and I haven't bothered to troubleshoot the problem.

Use both, they have their plusses and minuses. See which you prefer.

However, why not get a domain, buy some hosting and all the privacy concerns you may have will be irrelevant as you'd be the only one reading your email.