Windows 8.1: What to Expect

The First Major Update To Windows 8 is Coming

The public beta release of Windows 8.1 should be available from 26th June 2013 and, according to the Windows Blog, will support both Windows 8 and Windows RT devices. This first key update to Windows 8 will be released at the annual Microsoft Build Conference (26-28 June 2013), at the Moscone Center, San Francisco ? typically the home of the Google I/O developer conference.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/windows-8-1-what-to-expect/

Unless they get rid of the start screen I don't see how the haters aren't still going to hate it.

I expect a lot of upset people as they do not read what is required to upgrade from the beta to the full version (requiring you to re install all of your desktop apps)

I've had to use Windows 8 for a couple weeks now in work and I quite like it. Hardly ever use the Start screen for anything other than a large start menu, don't need to use Apps (which are really only for tablets from what I can tell), spend all my time on the desktop and it's fast and responsive for what I need.

The hot corners are pretty easy to get used to, particularly for the start screen and if anything I find it faster and cleaner than the old start menu. I've stripped out the junk apps and just kept the software I use on there - Adobe CC, MS Office and various other things.

The Apps are the only things I find a waste of time but at least you can ignore them without any nagging.