QTEs (quick time events) suck and should be abandoned posthaste

God I hate QTE.

Instead of focusing on what's going on with cutscenes, you have to sit there and focus on any QTE that might pop up and don't get to enjoy the cutscene.

###### QTE.

I hate quick-time events. They make a game completely lifeless, and I'm not sure why developers are so insistent upon them.

When "Ryse" was shown to be heavily QTE-based, it killed pretty much all my interest in the game.

Ryse does not use quick time events.  That is wrong information.  They are basically bonuses, but if you don't get them then no problem.  Whoever told you that is wrong.  One of the many misconceptions at E3. 

Ryse does not use quick time events.  That is wrong information.  They are basically bonuses, but if you don't get them then no problem.  Whoever told you that is wrong.  One of the many misconceptions at E3. 

My eyes told me that. You can call them euphemisms if you want, but they're still quick-time events, regardless of whether they're bonuses.

My eyes told me that. You can call them euphemisms if you want, but they're still quick-time events, regardless of whether they're bonuses.

Are you serious? Whatever dude.  Seems like to me you are being shallow. 

I have played quick time events.  In the ones that I have played you cannot progress unless you get the button presses correct.  I have to play the sequence over to complete a task or to fight like in Shenmue. 

This is not that.  This is an OPTIONAL thing, you can press them or not, they just give you a bonus if you do.  This is not the same thing to me at all. 

To not buy a game because you can't handle something optional is pretty shallow.  Not trying to insult you, but sorry I call it like I see it.  

Are you serious? Whatever dude.  Seems like to me you are being shallow. 

I have played quick time events.  In the ones that I have played you cannot progress unless you get the button presses correct.  I have to play the sequence over to complete a task or to fight like in Shenmue. 

This is not that.  This is an OPTIONAL thing, you can press them or not, they just give you a bonus if you do.  This is not the same thing to me at all. 

To not buy a game because you can't handle something optional is pretty shallow.  Not trying to insult you, but sorry I call it like I see it.  

There are plenty of games with "optional" quick-time events, but they're still quick-time events. I said I lost interest in it when I saw the extreme reliance on quick-time events; great if you like them, but I don't. They take all the fun out of gaming in my opinion, and "Ryse" features them extensively. It's not like you can turn them off, either -- they're going to be in the game regardless.

I'm not sure why you're so upset that we have different opinions on what kind of gameplay we like. It's not really anything to get worked up over. I'll play what I like and you'll play what you like.

There are plenty of games with "optional" quick-time events, but they're still quick-time events. I said I lost interest in it when I saw the extreme reliance on quick-time events; great if you like them, but I don't. They take all the fun out of gaming in my opinion, and "Ryse" features them extensively. It's not like you can turn them off, either -- they're going to be in the game regardless.

I'm not sure why you're so upset that we have different opinions on what kind of gameplay we like. It's not really anything to get worked up over. I'll play what I like and you'll play what you like.

I don't like Quick Time Events either.  I hate them with a passion.  This isn't the same though.  The game play isn't the same, the idea isn't the same.  The only thing is that same is that you can press a button to get a bonus or not.  It's optional.

If you don't like to press buttons for doing things, then don't play games.  I am not upset about anything, I just think calling something when it's really not what you are calling it is missing the entire point. 

If you don't like to press buttons for doing things, then don't play games.  I am not upset about anything, I just think calling something when it's really not what you are calling it is missing the entire point. 

:rolleyes:

They're quick-time events. I'm calling them what they, by definition, are. Yes, they are "optional" in the sense that you don't have to press them, although they're still in the game; I get that and never said otherwise.

:rolleyes:

They're quick-time events. I'm calling them what they, by definition, are. Yes, they are "optional" in the sense that you don't have to press them, although they're still in the game; I get that and never said otherwise.

So, you are not buying the game because they are optional and won't affect the play-ability or the outcome of the game?

Yeah, that makes no sense what-so-ever. 

I could understand if you don't like that type of game, fine.  I don't like Strategy games and I can accept that.  However, your excuse is just lame.  

"I don't like games because I have to press buttons"

So, you are not buying the game because they are optional and won't affect the play-ability or the outcome of the game?

Yeah, that makes no sense what-so-ever. 

I could understand if you don't like that type of game, fine.  I don't like Strategy games and I can accept that.  However, your excuse is just lame.  

"I don't like games because I have to press buttons"

You're getting dangerously close to flame baiting me. You know darn well that "I don't like games because I have to press buttons" is absolutely not what I'm saying, yet you're choosing to goad me in an attempt to make me attack you. It's not going to happen.

Moving and pressing buttons as an equivalent of regular functions is drastically different than saying "press button 'X' to perform an execution!" Those regular functions are meant to mimic real-life actions without being prompted -- they don't take you out of the game, and they're the same button you use no matter what. It's a seamless experience.

I already told you I find quick-time events to dull games and make them less fun. I still don't understand why you have such an issue with someone having a different opinion than you. Like what you like! I'll like what I like. It's not a big deal.

• Like 2

Is this like, when fighting a boss or such you get X Y LEFT A on screen and have to perform that combo?

They suck!

Yes, they're the buttons that pop up on a screen and request you press them in a certain amount of time.

You're getting dangerously close to flame baiting me.

You were being charitable after the first insult.

You're getting dangerously close to flame baiting me. You know darn well that "I don't like games because I have to press buttons" is absolutely not what I'm saying, yet you're choosing to goad me in an attempt to make me attack you. It's not going to happen.

Moving and pressing buttons as an equivalent of regular functions is drastically different than saying "press button 'X' to perform an execution!" Those regular functions are meant to mimic real-life actions without being prompted -- they don't take you out of the game, and they're the same button you use no matter what. It's a seamless experience.

I already told you I find quick-time events to dull games and make them less fun. I still don't understand why you have such an issue with someone having a different opinion than you. Like what you like! I'll like what I like. It's not a big deal.

I am not trying to do anything to bate you.  I just find it hard to believe you would dismiss a game because of the button presses to do bonuses are completely optional.  That seems to be closed minded to me. 

Optional button presses are optional. 

It's like saying, I won't buy that game because I don't like the box art.  That is a pretty closed minded and airheaded opinion.

It's kind of sad that you would judge a game with something so superficial. 

That is all I am saying.  I don't care what games you buy, but your opinion is just weak and very closed minded and very airheaded in my opinion. 

The stupid button prompts are not optional. They are distracting to anyone not into stupid QTE.

okay, so.....  First world problems?   Sorry, I don't see this as a legitimate problem, I see it more as whining about something that doesn't even matter.  A lot of gamers' whine too much over things that don't really matter.

okay, so.....  First world problems?   Sorry, I don't see this as a legitimate problem, I see it more as whining about something that doesn't even matter.  A lot of gamers' whine too much over things that don't really matter.

When people see something they might enjoy, only to be ruined by a stupid design decision, they tend to "whine". Why are you whining about people whining about QTE btw? Accept that people have different tastes and move on.

When people see something they might enjoy, only to be ruined by a stupid design decision, they tend to "whine". Why are you whining about people whining about QTE btw? Accept that people have different tastes and move on.

Because it's not a typical QTE.  I would call that something else.  How is it a stupid design decision? If you want a game bonus you do it, if you don't it's not a big deal.  It's an optional challenge to get a game bonus, you still kill the guy if you don't use it and you still progress through the game even if you ignore them.  

BELOW IS A REAL QUICK TIME EVENT.....

This is a stupid design decision... Using a real QTE to not being able to progress and it's just a button mashing exercise instead of real interactive game play (I.E. You have to use QTEs to progress further into a game and it's absolutely pointless as there is no benefit to the user other than mashing pointless buttons).

I am sorry and astounded if you can't understand basic gameplay differences.  I don't know how clear I can get.  It's not hard to understand.  I don't like QTEs at all, it's a bad gameplay experience and it's pointless, but it's not the same that has been described in Ryse by their own developers.

It's really not that hard.

Because it's not a typical QTE.  I would call that something else.  How is it a stupid design decision? If you want a game bonus you do it, if you don't it's not a big deal.  It's an optional challenge to get a game bonus, you still kill the guy if you don't use it and you still progress through the game even if you ignore them.

Having letters appear over the head of every single enemy in a game that tries to pass itself as realistic is stupid design. What if you accidentally press the right key during your button mashing and trigger the slow motion execution from time to time, breaking the flow of the action. That is stupid design. They could have done the same thing without prompts or slow motion.

You can call them whatever you like, but fact is (for me and plenty others), they made Ryse go from "Wow, this looks like a great game!" to "Meh" very fast.

Having letters appear over the head of every single enemy in a game that tries to pass itself as realistic is stupid design. What if you accidentally press the right key during your button mashing and trigger the slow motion execution from time to time, breaking the flow of the action. That is stupid design. They could have done the same thing without prompts or slow motion.

You can call them whatever you like, but fact is (for me and plenty others), they made Ryse go from "Wow, this looks like a great game!" to "Meh" very fast.

This was a small demo made for E3, there is nothing that says that it's going to affect game play at all.  The slow motion execution happens without the button press so I am not sure what you are on about here. 

The fact is that you need to play the game for yourself to see, it's far too early to just say "meh" to the entire game because you can't understand game play or basic concepts. 

Some of you hard core guys are just incredible, there are very few games that you actually enjoy and you cry about every little thing, it's becoming impossible to please you. 

If I made a game I would outright make fun of you guys.  You see that kid living in their parent's basement with Anime posters on the basement walls and a plate of stale food on the floor that whines about everything because they think they are entitled, that is a hard core gamer.  "meh"

Some of you hard core guys are just incredible, there are very few games that you actually enjoy and you cry about every little thing, it's becoming impossible to please you. 

If I made a game I would outright make fun of you guys.  You see that kid living in their parent's basement with Anime posters on the basement walls and a plate of stale food on the floor that whines about everything because they think they are entitled, that is a hard core gamer.  "meh"

Well stop being a lazy ****** that argues with people on the internet and make that game so that we hardcore gamers may "whine" about your stupid design decisions, like overused stereotypes.

Well stop being a lazy ****** that argues with people on the internet and make that game so that we hardcore gamers may "whine" about your stupid design decisions, like overused stereotypes.

I am working on my business and that is starting to take most of my time.  However, it's actually not a bad Idea.  I would have to find an artist. 

I thought this conversation was weird enough before you conflated 'people who don't like QTEs' and 'people who live in their parents basement'

...wtf dude.