Invitation only Windows 8.1 Preview test program

Given 8.1 is a public beta, not sure what the difference here is. Maybe you'll just have a different channel to submit feedback to.

I feel left out :(....

I guess it'll be in my inbox in a couple of hours!

Why the heck haven't i gotten this yet.  Does this let you download it early or no?  If not then there's not much point IMO

I guess it's like winpanel, no, no early download, but probably some kind of souvenir like a set of win8.1 disks(with keys).

Better luck in win9, christ. heia_org.gif

preview is out on the 26th, i doubt you will get it earlier.

when I signed up, I was given with a choice to pick up between two days in next week.

This just landed in my Inbox, is this new or MS just making me feel special for an ordinary public beta?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

This is new, and a variant on the Install Fair that Microsoft runs for various OSes and applications.  (I've been in four of these NOT counting this one - one for the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (upgrade testing), Office 2010 C2R, Office 2013/365 2.0, and one for Windows 7 SP1.)  It will be interesting which scenarios they are looking to test - will it be upgrade or clean-install testing they are looking to work over?

didn't get an email here :(

I don't get the reason why they're sending out emails when the public preview is only in a few days

I guess it's like winpanel, no, no early download, but probably some kind of souvenir like a set of win8.1 disks(with keys).

Better luck in win9, christ. heia_org.gif

I'm probably blackballed, Sinofsky didn't like me very much it seems lol.

I just found out(from a PCBeta post) what it is, it is a Install Fair, something that MS has done in WCP, you still need to download from the preview site. 

What happens is on the date of your choice, you could chat directly with MS engineers on problems/ideas on installing win8.1 preview.  :) 

image_673_zps00c05488.jpg

image_674_zpscfc49f8a.jpg

didn't get an email here :(

I don't get the reason why they're sending out emails when the public preview is only in a few days

Different scenario, maybe?  From what I've seen so far, the general rollout is centered on upgrades - this one may be a full-version (non-upgrade-centered) test.  Question - were any of you in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview OR Release Preview C2R Install Fair?

Different scenario, maybe?  From what I've seen so far, the general rollout is centered on upgrades - this one may be a full-version (non-upgrade-centered) test.  Question - were any of you in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview OR Release Preview C2R Install Fair?

Was in the Win8 CP bunch, and I received this email

Was in the Win8 CP bunch, and I received this email

That's why I asked, Spartan - I was in the Consumer Preview Install Fair, and the Office 2010 C2R Fair prior to that (same technology).  I got the same e-mail Faikee refrred to (I picked Thursday), so I await with interest (I'll be doing VM-based tests for the InstallFair).

I'm probably blackballed, Sinofsky didn't like me very much it seems lol.

Hah, I didn't get one either. I'd be sad except Windows 8 was the push that finally made me replace Windows entirely. Oh well! :laugh:

Hah, I didn't get one either. I'd be sad except Windows 8 was the push that finally made me replace Windows entirely. Oh well! :laugh:

Linux i assume?  I don't really take you as the Mac type, although you never know these days  :laugh:

Linux i assume?  I don't really take you as the Mac type, although you never know these days  :laugh:

Yeah, Mint has been doing pretty well for me, though I do have an old Macbook that I use to run my upstairs TV, haha.

Do things like these even matter anymore?

Nope, remember when things like this used to matter?  The days when Paul, Patrick and Wendy were still there.  We'll never see that kind of interaction again.

Nope, remember when things like this used to matter?  The days when Paul, Patrick and Wendy were still there.  We'll never see that kind of interaction again.

Ha! I remember them!  Good times, good times...  It truly is a shame that consumer involvement at that level is over...  Probably due to the thousands of non-participating testers demanding a free version of windows, as if just signing up entitles them to 300 dollars worth of software at no cost to them.  I remember the whole controversy so well...  All those people bitching at Wendy because they didn't get their free copy of Win7...  She didn't deserve the heat she took from all those whiners.