Invitation only Windows 8.1 Preview test program

blue windows 8.1 microsoft

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 June 2013 - 13:30

I just found out(from a PCBeta post) what it is, it is a Install Fair, something that MS has done in WCP, you still need to download from the preview site. 

What happens is on the date of your choice, you could chat directly with MS engineers on problems/ideas on installing win8.1 preview.  :) 

image_673_zps00c05488.jpg

image_674_zpscfc49f8a.jpg

#17 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 June 2013 - 13:41

didn't get an email here :(

I don't get the reason why they're sending out emails when the public preview is only in a few days

Different scenario, maybe?  From what I've seen so far, the general rollout is centered on upgrades - this one may be a full-version (non-upgrade-centered) test.  Question - were any of you in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview OR Release Preview C2R Install Fair?

#18 Spartan Erik

Spartan Erik

Neowinian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 14:29

Different scenario, maybe?  From what I've seen so far, the general rollout is centered on upgrades - this one may be a full-version (non-upgrade-centered) test.  Question - were any of you in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview OR Release Preview C2R Install Fair?

Was in the Win8 CP bunch, and I received this email

#19 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:16

Was in the Win8 CP bunch, and I received this email

That's why I asked, Spartan - I was in the Consumer Preview Install Fair, and the Office 2010 C2R Fair prior to that (same technology).  I got the same e-mail Faikee refrred to (I picked Thursday), so I await with interest (I'll be doing VM-based tests for the InstallFair).

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:34

I'm probably blackballed, Sinofsky didn't like me very much it seems lol.

Hah, I didn't get one either. I'd be sad except Windows 8 was the push that finally made me replace Windows entirely. Oh well! :laugh:

#21 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:49

Hah, I didn't get one either. I'd be sad except Windows 8 was the push that finally made me replace Windows entirely. Oh well! :laugh:

Linux i assume?  I don't really take you as the Mac type, although you never know these days  :laugh:

#22 Mr. Dee

Mr. Dee

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Professional

Posted 24 June 2013 - 16:57

Do things like these even matter anymore?

#23 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:11

Linux i assume?  I don't really take you as the Mac type, although you never know these days  :laugh:

Yeah, Mint has been doing pretty well for me, though I do have an old Macbook that I use to run my upstairs TV, haha.

#24 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 24 June 2013 - 18:03

Do things like these even matter anymore?

Nope, remember when things like this used to matter?  The days when Paul, Patrick and Wendy were still there.  We'll never see that kind of interaction again.

#25 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 25 June 2013 - 21:15

Nope, remember when things like this used to matter?  The days when Paul, Patrick and Wendy were still there.  We'll never see that kind of interaction again.

Ha! I remember them!  Good times, good times...  It truly is a shame that consumer involvement at that level is over...  Probably due to the thousands of non-participating testers demanding a free version of windows, as if just signing up entitles them to 300 dollars worth of software at no cost to them.  I remember the whole controversy so well...  All those people bitching at Wendy because they didn't get their free copy of Win7...  She didn't deserve the heat she took from all those whiners. 

#26 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 25 June 2013 - 21:54

A few of us still maintain a forum for the old Tech Beta community, affectionately known as the Beta-Cafe (.net) as it's got a many of the hardcore posters in the old Cafe newsgroup as members. It requires admin approval for accounts though (to prevent spam), and you must have been a member of the Microsoft Tech Beta programs in the past.