georgia facebook without permission apology federal law constitutional rights

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,907 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 22:36

[size=4]I don't see this going anywhere as long as the school official didn't deliberately go to her facebook knowing that she was a former student to get the picture.
>

According to the OP getting potentially embarrassing pictures of current studens for his "class" was the whole point. Not getting permission to use her image in a public forum was also a mistake, just ask any photographer / videographer about the release forms they have to get signed.

The guy's a total tool.

#32 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,645 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 22:45

It wasn't posted publicly... If you read, it said she had it set for friends of friends. 

Actually, what I read is that she thought only friends (and their friends) could see it.  Quite likely that she doesn't know how Facebook privacy works and hadn't changed any of her settings, just assuming it was only her friends.  Obviously the school was able to see it.

From another article on the same subject:

Although Chelsea Chaney admits uploading the picture to Facebook, she has claimed that she only thought friends and family could access her profile and not strangers.

Ironically, however, her reaction does seem to prove the point the Fayette County School was trying to achieve about Internet safety.

On the other hand, her admission does seem quite a common thing for many Facebook users to say, as shown in The Inquisitr’s article asking how you can stay safe when using the site.

#33 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• 2,921 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 22:59

I'd sue too, if they posted me in a bikini. :p

if they posted you in a bikini... i would also sue...

#34 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,885 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 23:01

Whilst I do agree she's probably milking it, people need to stop assuming that being posted on Facebook makes someone's property ripe for being reproduced without their permission. This "slut shaming" thing is also very archaic, join the 21st century please folks.

#35 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,173 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 23 June 2013 - 23:04

Here's a nice tip: don't wear a bikini, go to public pkaces, take a pic and then post to facebook if you don't want others to see it. moron.

#36 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,032 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 23:14

^ I would sentence her to being Amish, for Life. :laugh:

#37 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 00:57

^ I would sentence her to being Amish, for Life. :laugh:

I punish her to a life of being a bikini model. :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!