• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,825 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:30

Ahh yes, the real racists are black people because you can't use racist slurs to identify them.

Way to fail reading comprehension, I said if anyone thinks black people should be treated differently, because they're black, they're racist. 

Did I say "Blacks are racist because I can't use racist words!" I'm seriously struggling to even comprehend how you even came to this summary of my post. 

#32 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,819 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 13:23

At least people wont be making fattening recipes now from watching her!

Yeah -- like there's a shortage of fattening recipes, cooking shows, and advertisements on TV.

#33 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,400 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 17:21

I'm so upset, I can hardly eat my Paula Deen chocolate cake !

Lol! It is so funny, today I was searching for a recipe for strawberry cupcakes to make my girlfriend. I pulled up one clip of her show and at one point she said, "Don't have a heart attack, but we're adding 7 cups of powdered sugar". Yeahhh, all cupcakes are unhealthy but that was for the icing alone and it is quite frightening, lol.

#34 xpablo

xpablo

XPablo

• 2,908 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 17:39

Why all this fuss over one word? Really America get a grip.

It's okay if black or (African American) people call themselves that, so why can't white or should I say Caucasian people say it.? 

Hell in the movie Django UnChained that word was mentioned about 40 times.

USA is a crazy country it was founded by Geniuses, but now it's run by Morons!

#35 Juddy

Juddy

formerly compl3x

• 7,796 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:06

It's just a couple of G, and an N, I E, R and S

.. I don't know why Gingers get so upset about it.

#36 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 00:54

USA is a crazy country it was founded by Geniuses, but now it's run by Morons!

Truer words were never spoken. :)

#37 Scroogled

Scroogled

Neowinian

• 228 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:51

Being fired over saying an offensive word without knowing anything about the context in which it was used is absurd.

With that being said, the Food Network probably added about 5 years to the lives of millions of people with this move.

#38 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,926 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 18:04

Racism in America is alive and well because the government wants it to be.  The first step of eradicating racism in America is to eradicate from the government.

#39 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,278 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 18:05

Maybe they just should ban that N* word.  I am hanging out with my Black buddies, and they are calling each others like that all the time.  It has become a normal word for me.

It is weird that they don't get offended by that.  However, the world is falling down, when it comes out the mouth of other races.

#40 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 25 June 2013 - 18:18

Being fired over saying an offensive word without knowing anything about the context in which it was used is absurd.

With that being said, the Food Network probably added about 5 years to the lives of millions of people with this move.

But in Deen's case the context was known in at least one instance because she provided the context of recounting her encounter with a black robber to her husband.

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?

Deen: Yes, of course.

Lawyer: Okay. In what context?

Deen: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Deen: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.

Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Deen: Absolutely not.

Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Deen: Probably in telling my husband.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3467287.html

And, it was during a deposition in a lawsuit that claims that her and her brother, Bubba Deen, discriminated against blacks in the workplace, amongst other things, and made racially derogatory statements regularly.

Now, more employees are coming forward with allegations that back up the woman who's suing.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3484607.html

#41 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 18:24

OK, so the use of the 'n' word seems almost commonplace here in the south, I grew up in the northwest and rarely heard the word, but when I moved into Florida, it almost seems a common word that is used in day to day conversation, so with Ms. Dean being from Georgia (which is part of the south) I am almost certain that the word would have come up at least once. Why does the Food Network give a crap about her using the word, did she utter it on her show? Even if she did, do they not edit those Freudian slips out during the post processing of the show?

They probably don't, but since it got out and it's being hammered by the media, they have to feel that they are protecting their image, so they're firing her for that. Personally I think she shouldn't be fired, it's the southern mentality, doesn't make it right, but she doesn't know any better either.

#42 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• 1,324 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:41

It doesn't matter if it was 20 years ago, or 20 minutes ago. It's unacceptable now, and it's unacceptable then. When people keep racism alive by defending such blatant racists, it'll never go away.

I am not defending her actions or statements, those are despicable. Racism can't be defended, it has no place in society.

I take issue with it coming out 20 years later and being used as a tool. IMO, this action takes the racist comments and puts them front and center as a tool while never touching on them and getting her to see the error of her ways. She apologized and in this apology-demanding world we live in... it sounded like an attempt to reduce the impact to her career. Not an apology for spewing hate.

#43 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,819 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 15:51

^ You can't outlaw people's feelings, either.

#44 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• 459 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 15:55

dumb

#45 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 16:02

You can't change people, I don't see why there's a fuss over it if she didn't say it on live tv

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!