georgia jumped the gun facebook page caesars entertainment convicting

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,018 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 20:04

Ahh yes, the real racists are black people because you can't use racist slurs to identify them.

Why would anyone need to identify anyone? There's no need for it to ever cross anyone's mind.

"Oh you know the guy...don't make me say it...... the guy with dark hair... brown eyes, he's tall..."

"Brian?"

"No, not him, the fat, white guy at work, Dave something."

#47 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,612 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 20:18

I think it's more about context than "did she ever use the word'.

OK, so the use of the 'n' word seems almost commonplace here in the south, I grew up in the northwest and rarely heard the word, but when I moved into Florida, it almost seems a common word that is used in day to day conversation, so with Ms. Dean being from Georgia (which is part of the south) I am almost certain that the word would have come up at least once. Why does the Food Network give a crap about her using the word, did she utter it on her show? Even if she did, do they not edit those Freudian slips out during the post processing of the show?

the inspiration behind her idea to staff her brother Bubba Hiers' wedding with black men pretending to be slaves (turns out it struck her when she had dinner at a restaurant where the waitstaff reminded her of slaves):

"The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.

I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America…after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women…I would say they were slaves."

The filer of the lawsuit, Lisa Jackson (the former general manager of a Savannah restaurant owned by Deen and her brother) claimed last year that the chef specifically expressed her desire for bevy of tap dancing "little n***ers" to send her brother off to married life with Southern flair. (Unfortunately, Deen allegedly decided against that plan out of fear the media might somehow twist her cute idea into something racist.) 

In her suit, Jackson alleges Deen said, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

It's just a couple of G, and an N, I E, R and S

.. I don't know why Gingers get so upset about it.

Because gingers have no soul.

#48 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,185 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 20:35

First I want to say that I don't defend racism at all and my wife watches the show but I don't.

The N word should never be used at all and is unacceptable.

Second,  This is all about social networks and why I don't like the social networks on the Internet.

The fact that anyone's life can be ruined over something someone said years and years ago and leaked it to the Internet and knowing that you can get fired over that is just as unacceptable.

Social networks have too much power and that power can be used as propaganda to sink entire companies.

I think that is very scary and that is too powerful. 

And the two groups that LOVE to leverage that capability of social networking are "community activists" (sounds like a code term for "politicians") and lawyers (especially civil, not criminal law practicing lawyers).

#49 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,538 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 26 June 2013 - 20:45

Until everyone is forbidden from saying this word (I'm looking at the Rappers etc). Then we need equal punishment. The notion of "I can say that word, I'm black" is nonsense. "Oh I'm allowed to tell Rape Jokes, I'm a Rapist"

Being black is not criminal, in most neighborhoods, so your analogy is bad. Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying  your analogy if not applicable.

I think it's more about context than "did she ever use the word'.

Yeah, props to her for not lying about it. And I would not have dropped her show for that. Reading the details, extent, and content of the expounded remarks, now public, I probably would have wound her show down too. If nothing else as a business decision.

#50 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,225 posts
  • Phone: HTC Titan

Posted 26 June 2013 - 20:47

Not unless you live in the middle east

Or in an ever increasing number of neighborhoods in the UK.

#51 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,780 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 22:06

Why would anyone need to identify anyone? There's no need for it to ever cross anyone's mind.

"Oh you know the guy...don't make me say it...... the guy with dark hair... brown eyes, he's tall..."

"Brian?"

"No, not him, the fat, white guy at work, Dave something."

The police over here, regularly and automatically ask about race, body descriptions.

#52 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,538 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 26 June 2013 - 22:35

The police over here, regularly and automatically ask about race, body descriptions.

I have no problem with race as a descriptor, it's ridiculous not to. Profiling is OK too. When the profile ceases to be viable and just becomes harassment, profiling will stop. If the behavior makes it viable in certain situations/locations, it's fair game.

#53 McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• 5,266 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:01

Being black is not criminal, in most neighborhoods, so your analogy is bad. Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying  your analogy if not applicable.

It's why I offered an amended comparison  

"I'm allowed to tell Holocaust Jokes, I'm Jewish"

#54 +scumdogmillionaire

scumdogmillionaire

Neowinian Senior

• 2,548 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:41

I don't believe she was fired due to accusations of being a racist. She was fired because she went rogue and started talking to press and releasing YouTube videos. She became a PR disaster. If she would have just kept her mouth shut, done her day in court or settled she would have been fine. But she went off the deep end. And now everyone is just having to follow suit. She's toxic at this point. The woman has always been crazy.

#55 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:00

It's why I offered an amended comparison  

"I'm allowed to tell Holocaust Jokes, I'm Jewish"

Better, I personally agree with that, though it would be in poor taste.

There's also the matter of context, meaning, and intent as well as historical reference to help define those. Having said that, she has the right to feel that way, and Food Network has the right to not want her to represent them or to renew her contract.

The more she talked, the more details that became public, the worse it got. It's not about using the "N" word anymore.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!