Photo

Is Microsoft abandoning its mobile operating systems?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,824 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:41

those were "foot in the door" products

Windows Mobile once had 42% market share in USA hardly a foot in the door.

#32 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

• 1,175 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:51

Windows Mobile once had 42% market share in USA hardly a foot in the door.

"Foot in the door" as in they were getting into a just growing market - I haven't checked the numbers exactly, but I can bet there were nowhere near as many smartphone owners back then as there are now. It's not too hard to get 42% market share in a relatively small market with just a few players about the same in terms of usability/app support, but when you get a consumer-faced OS like the iPhone competing and the market exploding, that old 42% market share doesn't really mean much. Windows Mobile, IMO, was really more of a way for Microsoft to get into that industry - if they wanted to do way better they could have, but at that time there really wasn't that much competition.

If you have the smartphone ownership numbers and they show that it's pretty much the same, please correct me (I honestly haven't seen any hard numbers either way)

#33 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:53

The funny thing is that most people who are worrying about Microsoft future are those that anti-Microsoft. 

Hope the OP realized that even the zdnet took down the article, because it was stupid.

#34 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,175 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:52

If Microsoft is abandoning the platform then why is Nokia about to introduce a very high end smartphone with a 41MP camera in July?  That would make no sense what so ever.

#35 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 19:55

Zdnet trolling again.