Free e-mail service that doesn't deactivate due to inactivity?

I have a housemate that only uses his e-mail address a few times year. Outlook often deactivates his account due to this, so the rare e-mails he does get, bounce.

Any other provider suggestions?

Your Outlook.com or Hotmail account will become inactive if you don't sign in for more than 270 days or within the first 10 days after signing up for your account.

Can't he just make a point to sign in once every 6 months?

I think the outlook policy is that you have to login at least one for 270 days.  So I guess your friend didn't use email a few times a year.

Gmail is 9 months, and Yahoo is only 4 months.

Can't he just make a point to sign in once every 6 months?

I think the outlook policy is that you have to login at least one for 270 days.  So I guess your friend didn't use email a few times a year.

He doesn't own a computer or smartphone, so sometimes he only signs in once or twice, usually when a service (such as TVCatchup, which he uses on his PS3 via. the browser) requires him to verify an e-mail.

^ he can just use his PS3 to login his email from web browser.  It will work and keep his account active.

He doesn't know how to use websites, and I don't fancy teaching him (he's a housemate upstairs, not a friend).

So anyway, as per my original question guys... :P

He doesn't know how to use websites, and I don't fancy teaching him (he's a housemate upstairs, not a friend).

So anyway, as per my original question guys... :p

I feel your pain. Tomorrow I get to go teach a woman how to use her "Gmail" ( on the Gmail website)

He can use email from his Internet provider.  As long as he still have service with them, the email should be active :) ...

We live in a House of Multiple Occupancy and can't even physically access the modem or wireless router, so getting an e-mail address with the ISP via. the Letting Agents is next to impossible.

Does the login time limit still count if you automatically forward emails to another account?

I'm guessing it probably does.