Finally found my dream phone.... Nexus 4!

Ok, its been a ride up and down for the last couple years with me searching for a phone that made me feel like I couldn't find a better one anywhere. As some of you know, I was a long term IOS user, detetsted Andriod for its clunkyness,slowness, illogical menus etc etc.... In the last couple years here is how it went:

1. Used the tried and true 3gs, (still an amazing phone, imagine owning this phone 4 years ago!)

2. Android fanboys always say IOS sucks and Driod rules so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Tried out some Samsung phone with 2.2. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience.

3. Went back to trusty 3gs.

4. Wanted front facing camera so went and got an iphone 4. Same trusty IOS experince as the 3gs. Loved it.

5. Android fanboys said "you have to try ICS, they fixed everything!"... went and got a Samsung 2Sx... Horrible experience once again.

6. Went back to trusty iphone 4 and told my self "I am done with andriod".

7. opportunity came up for a HTC 8x for dirt cheap with windows 8.. liked it but felt very "beta-ish" with none of the apps i liked. Sold it.

8. Back to iphone 4.

9 .Some guy I know needed a PC and had an nexus 7 to trade. Traded. Didn't expect to like it, but LOVED 4.2.2 Jelly bean.

10. Lost iphone 4, assumed i would like the jelly bean experience now platform wide so went and got a Samsung Note 2 with 4.1 (and also andriod fanboys said the same thing they always say:you have to try jelly Bean, they fixed everything!".... HORRIBLE CLUNKY EXPERIENCE. (don't recommend Samsung at all now). Sold it.

11. back to old 3gs LOL... (a classic in every sense i conclude now)

12. Couple days ago took a chance and wanted to see if the nexus 4 was the same great experience as the the nexus 7. guess what... it is!

Had the nexus now for 2 days. Absolutely awesome phone and will recommend it to ANYONE how is looking for a solid UNSUCKY andriod experinece. I can't belive how bad Samsung can take something and mess it up. The phone is beautiful, the perfect size since its big but not too big at 4.7". There is NO lag on anything unlike the Samsung galaxy note 2. the screen is actually better then the Samsung note 2, Immediately when using the NOTE 2, the greens to me on the screen where artificially exaggerated way beyond looking good.  

Added... as I was writing this, was using songza, and got a call, it even hushes (not mutes, just lowers to background music level) and still continues to play while on the call! Nice touch! So many great things about the google nexus I don't even know where to start. All i can say it truly is the greatest phone ANYONE can have. If you are an IOS user, honestly you will very much like the switch to this phone EVEN if you hated andriod in the past. The best part is if you buy new, 100% unlocked world wide and is 1/2 price the competition like the S4 and Note 2.

Added again: I know there is a trick to enable the LTE ability, has anyone here actually done it?

btw: andriod fanboys are still stupid, you guys really have to stop "loving" a product only because it has a name on it... "love" it because it works and works well...

the screen is actually better then the Samsung note 2, Immediately when using the NOTE 2, the greens to me on the screen where artificially exaggerated way beyond looking good.  

Those over saturated colors on S3 and Note 2 make the screen of Nexus 4 look like dull and boring. But as a standalone package, it is pretty good screen

If you are an IOS user, honestly you will very much like the switch to this phone EVEN if you hated andriod in the past.

:laugh:

I wouldn't go as far as saying it will blow everyone off. Its a good device. Probably the only device alongside One and Razr I that I will consider if I were to go Android way, but I strongly disagree that it is an opinion-changer phone of some sort :p

Just curious, could it be because Nexus 4 doesn't get all the bloat ware that Samsung adds to Android?

My experience with Android is that it's a battery hog. I had a HTC Aria and Samsung Note, both batteries sucked. My brother let me use his LG Revolution for a few days and that thing would die in 5hrs.

The white Nexus 4 has me curious. I'll have to see what Nexus 5 brings. To be honest I'm pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem (ie: iMessage, Photostream, etc.)

Just curious, could it be because Nexus 4 doesn't get all the bloat ware that Samsung adds to Android?

My experience with Android is that it's a battery hog. I had a HTC Aria and Samsung Note, both batteries sucked. My brother let me use his LG Revolution for a few days and that thing would die in 5hrs.

The white Nexus 4 has me curious. I'll have to see what Nexus 5 brings. To be honest I'm pretty deep in the Apple ecosystem (ie: iMessage, Photostream, etc.)

i too can't abandon the imessage and facetime since my finace has all her family back in the phillipines and we set them all up with ipod touches. The only thing I miss is that, and the fact that since we have unlimited texting, we can send UNLIMITED videos and they count as a text message rather then data... now we can't do that unless we use the  ipod now which only is avialible if we are home. But... oh well...

btw: andriod fanboys are still stupid, you guys really have to stop "loving" a product only because it has a name on it... "love" it because it works and works well...

I've loved my Captivate for almost THREE years before I got my S4. I took it all the way up to 4.2.2 (shipped with 2.1)- the same version that ships on the GS4.  It was very, very fast but had poor battery life on Jelly Bean.

It's really funny how you say, "you guys really have to stop "loving" a product only because it has a name on it..."  No one, NO ONE does that more than Apple zealots.  And seeing your past posts about Android, you seem to just parrot talking points.  But what ever.  I've been happy with Android since Eclair and I hope 4.2.2 is good enough for you to like as well. 

I had an iPhone 3G but it was too locked down for me and what I want to do.  I gave Apple a shot, I didn't like it.  So it's just like what you experienced, but I favored Android and not iOS.

No one, NO ONE does that more than Apple zealots.

out of hundreds and hundreds of daily interactions with all walks of life, I have not once met a single apple fanboy, but dozens and dozens of  extreme andriod fan boys. The only time I ever hear of an apple fanboy is when a Android fanboy (on neowin or google+) is saying they exist, hopefully i will meet one someday to see one for myself.

I've loved my Captivate for almost THREE years before I got my S4. I took it all the way up to 4.2.2 (shipped with 2.1)- the same version that ships on the GS4.  It was very, very fast but had poor battery life on Jelly Bean.

It's really funny how you say, "you guys really have to stop "loving" a product only because it has a name on it..."  No one, NO ONE does that more than Apple zealots.  And seeing your past posts about Android, you seem to just parrot talking points.  But what ever.  I've been happy with Android since Eclair and I hope 4.2.2 is good enough for you to like as well. 

I had an iPhone 3G but it was too locked down for me and what I want to do.  I gave Apple a shot, I didn't like it.  So it's just like what you experienced, but I favored Android and not iOS.

I'm just curious what you are trying to do on an iPhone that you could do on an Android? I can live with stock firmware on the iPhone if I wanted, and now with iOS 7, I don't really see the need to jailbreak anymore.

Added again: I know there is a trick to enable the LTE ability, has anyone here actually done it?

last I read about this is google disabled the ability to do this in an android update for the phone. I don't think its currently possible now without possibly using a different ROM

I got my Nexus 4 earlier this year and loved it :)

I came from a Blackberry of some form (no idea but it was a work phone) and it was like stepping into the light. I had considered going into Apple but the price got me and I am so glad it did.

That's definitely not the case around here.  If somebody even whispers the name "Apple" around here, a posse of trolls come crawling out of their caves.

Give it time, this thread won't be any different.

Let's stay on topic (no fanboy talk :argue:) ....

.... but glad you found the phone you love. Android works for me and I tried Samsung Focus (Windows Phone 7) and iPhone 4/4S when those came out and just found them to be restrictive. I've always loved Android (had the Nexus One and even a T-Mobile G1 before that) but figured it's worth it to try out the other platforms as well.

I have a Nexus 4 as well and wouldn't trade it for anything now. I always have my eye out for the next hotness but definitely loving my current hotness :p

last I read about this is google disabled the ability to do this in an android update for the phone. I don't think its currently possible now without possibly using a different ROM

you just need to flash the last version of the modem software (2.0.1700.33) (so you do need to be rooted) then go through the whole getting into the testing settings (dial *#*#4636#*#*) and going to phone information and changing 'WCDMA' to 'LTE only' or 'LTE/GSM auto' or 'LTE/CDMA only' [it is still required to do this every time you reboot though'

I agree. The Nexus 4 is a fantastic device that also was the one to really convert me to Android. The only difference between us is I was coming from Windows Phone (Lumia 900) and it was the first time I went to something other than Windows Mobile.

I would love to pick one but the camera is crap even though it has 8mp which is a deal breaker for me.

Leave it to Touchwiz to ruin a good experience - I don't know why people like it but it's way too bloated for me. All the features are way too gimicky, and mostly useless. Pure Android is a great experience, glad you like your Nexus 4. I do miss having my Galaxy Nexus as my primary phone, as it just had a massive mod community, but the HTC One is a fantastic phone in its own regards. 

Also, it's not just the Android fanboys. Any and all fanboys are stupid :P These companies should be fighting for us (market share), and instead everyone on the internet has allegiances to company <x>

Awesome phone!! I'm very happy with mine, absolutely love it.

Very well built, design is awesome, features are great, and it's superfast.

Besides, being a Google phone, updates are instant. No waiting for the latest Android version like other phones.

I hope you are not planning to pair your Nexus 4 with in-car bluetooth. Contacts don't transfer over and car call controls don't work.

Bluetooth is borked for the Nexus 4 in 4.2.2 . So much so mine's going back for a refund, they've had a bug open for it since November and the amateurs still haven't fixed it.  Cyanogenmod fixes it but having to load a custom rom to fix something Google should have gotten right is not a good solution.

Also the screen on the nexus 4 is really washed out. Bizarrely it is Googles saturation settings at fault. Look at a Nexus 4 with paranoid android installed and the colours really pop.

The nexus 4 is Ok, not great, and it is let down by things Google could easily fix with software updates but don't. No more than a 5/10 from me.

I didn't have much choice but to go for a Samsung Galaxy S III as I needed a phone with a removable battery.

I would have considered the Nexus 4 if it wasn't for this, though.

I handled a Nexus 4 for the first time last night (my brother has one) and I think the screen felt just bad compared to S3 or my Lumia 920. This is admittedly from a 2min look I had at it. I didn't really play with it to know for sure but that was my first impression (right at the lock screen)

Wife moved from her old iPhone 3GS to a Nexus 4 a few weeks back and she really likes it. Obviously the phone is a big upgrade from the old iPhone but she uses a lot of google products (mail, calendars etc) as part of her job so having a platform that works in a seemless and integrated way was a plus for her.

I've had an android phone (HTC though) for about a year and can't wait to ditch it. I'm not really invested into any platform so I'm probably going to switch to a WP8 device as it'll likely play good with my Win8 PC