Question about Xbox One and Kinect

xbox one

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:05

So if Kinect is required for the console to even function, do you HAVE to use it for some functionality?  Why is it required?

I would like to get the Xbox One, but the space where I put my consoles are not that big so it might be an issue if I have a required camera for the console.

#2 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:09

So if Kinect is required for the console to even function, do you HAVE to use it for some functionality?  Why is it required?

I would like to get the Xbox One, but the space where I put my consoles are not that big so it might be an issue if I have a required camera for the console.

just put it on top of the console?  I think the main reason its required is because developers will have the option to make use of it (require it) because they know that all xbox one owners will have one (think about this generation where there were issues when developers couldnt force use of the xbox hard drive because it was originally sold as an option).  I do not believe we have heard of any scenarios where it will be required for the dashboard.

#3 OP xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:11

just put it on top of the console?  I think the main reason its required is because developers will have the option to make use of it (require it) because they know that all xbox one owners will have one.  I do not believe we have heard of any scenarios where it will be required for the dashboard.

Vertical space is limited.  I only have a couple of inches left above the console.

Does it have to stay plugged in at all times?

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:13

Sadly Microsoft has not given a specific answer as to why it is required, however, i think it might have something to do with a more cohesive UI experience as they use it to navigate the base Xbox UI now.

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:14

just put it on top of the console?  I think the main reason its required is because developers will have the option to make use of it (require it) because they know that all xbox one owners will have one (think about this generation where there were issues when developers couldnt force use of the xbox hard drive because it was originally sold as an option).  I do not believe we have heard of any scenarios where it will be required for the dashboard.

I don't even see why they'd bother with traditional menus except for the system settings.  Nested menus suck.

#6 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:24

Put it on top of your TV?

#7 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:29

If it has to be connected I'd just throw it behind everything where the cables hide. Let it point at the wall, I'm not using it.

#8 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 June 2013 - 15:31

Does it have to stay plugged in at all times?

For now yes.

#9 TITAN XO-16

TITAN XO-16

Neowinian

Posted 25 June 2013 - 16:21

Put it behind your tv if you do not intend to use it and turn off the kinect through the Xbox one settings. Or put it behind any other equipment for that matter.

Anyway, the new kinect tech is pretty sweet. Looking forward to using it with Skype and hopefully oovoo (hope they release and app for the xbox One).

#10 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 25 June 2013 - 16:32

Just dump it somewhere else, i'm sure the lead will be long enough.

The reason it is required is because this is the only way it's going to push lazy devs and users in to using what will be a very interesting piece of kit. I for one applaud the effort.

#11 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 25 June 2013 - 16:36

Including it with evey console is enough to get devs to think about making use of it.

Forcing it to be connected when it's not a technical requirment, is just being a jerk.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:04

Including it with evey console is enough to get devs to think about making use of it.

Forcing it to be connected when it's not a technical requirment, is just being a jerk.

You're kinda making a contradiction.  First you say that it's enough to get devs to think about using it.  So, what would devs think if MS "didn't" require it be at least plugged in but just gave it away and people could toss it in the closet?   It seems like you get the why already but call it a jerk move.