Community rules, warns and consequences updated

Consequences:

All actions have consequences and Neowin is no different, Neowin Moderators follow a standard policy when warning members.

If a member accrues a certain amount of points, they will not be allowed to post content in the following stages:

• 4 points - 2 days
  • 6 points - 10 days
  • 8 points - 15 days
  • 10 points - 30 days
  • 12 points - Permanent Ban
All of the above is automated.

We can also give null warns that have no points addition or post restrictions, this precedes formal warning(s).

Repeat offenders can also be moved into the following groups before being eventually banned, this is always optional for staff to carry out:

• Restricted (Gamers) - banned from Gamers' Hangout and sub forums
  • Restricted (Mac) - banned from Apple related sections of the forums
  • Restricted (News) - banned from commenting on the news posts
  • Restricted (no edit) - banned from editing any own post content
  • Restricted (PM) - banned from sending PM conversations
  • Restricted (Profile) - banned from editing profile
  • Restricted (Ratings) - banned from adding ratings to topics
  • Restricted (view) - banned from creating any content on Neowin

Added to the bottom of our Community Rules.

Since the new system is automated, this should stop everyone from assuming that different people get away with punishment, or are treated more harshly than anyone else.

Moderators are all volunteers, and we really do not need the crap we put up with all too often.

We, like other forums have house rules, and although they are probably different than other places, we all agree they are fair. We want a community where people aren't openly attacking each other,. and one that is friendly to the whole household old or young.

If you are a decent person that thinks before posting, you should never have a run in with us. If you do, there are consequences.

Thanks.

Out of interest, the ability to restrict someone in various ways - I would assume relates to the cause of the warns?

Also, "preferential treatment" is always an argument brought up when someone causes their own trouble - lol.  It does make me laugh "Oh I'm so hard done by" (include myself in that previously too - lol).

Nice update, I hope this will clear things up for those that think that there is preferential treatment.

Out of interest, the ability to restrict someone in various ways - I would assume relates to the cause of the warns?

If you're referring to the restriction masks, then yes. Fortunately, I can't even remember the last time we used it (as far as I'm aware) which is a good thing.

Nice update, I hope this will clear things up for those that think that there is preferential treatment.

Indeed.

Also, "preferential treatment" is always an argument brought up when someone causes their own trouble - lol.  It does make me laugh "Oh I'm so hard done by" (include myself in that previously too - lol).

Yes, if someone keeps trolling in Gamers' hangout but not anywhere else we can ban that member from that section, but not others.

• Like 2

It sounds like a fair system and should make rulings more consistent.

The restriction that I found amusing was this one:

• Restricted (Ratings) - banned from adding ratings to topics

Have you ever had to enforce that restriction? It strikes me that someone would have to seriously abuse the rating system for that to be considered necessary.

Anyway, it's good to see these have been added to the Community Rules as that's much more effective than a pinned topic.

Have you ever had to enforce that restriction? It strikes me that someone would have to seriously abuse the rating system for that to be considered necessary.

Anyway, it's good to see these have been added to the Community Rules as that's much more effective than a pinned topic.

Sometime in the past, I think certain members were abusing the topic ratings especially in areas such as the console subforums. Members belonging to one section would always downvote another member's threads that they don't like.

Can't think of any uses of that recently.

I already have 4 points from the past, will I be banned for 2 days :s ?? I have significantly turned around the way i post compared to the past. Neowin is such a great place for getting and sharing technology info!  I do like the new system compared to the old, and you can see your warning points which is nice to know.

I already have 4 points from the past, will I be banned for 2 days :s ?? I have significantly turned around the way i post compared to the past. Neowin is such a great place for getting and sharing technology info!  I do like the new system compared to the old, and you can see your warning points which is nice to know.

4 points = 80% out of a 100% on the old system. So you're getting a bit of a break here.

Behave and you have nothing to worry about. ;)

Sometime in the past, I think certain members were abusing the topic ratings especially in areas such as the console subforums. Members belonging to one section would always downvote another member's threads that they don't like.

lol, I can actually picture that happening.  :laugh:

PS - Have any of the other moderators ever tried giving points to Neobond?  :shifty: 

These 'points', do they expire..??

Yes, after 90 days (per warning) old system was every 6 months = reduced by 20%. The old system will be wiped at some point, probably after 3 months because those points won't be auto reduced on the new system.

If this is 'automated', what triggers points?  Are violations weighted?

So two in 90 days results in a 2 day.  Wouldn't a week make more sense for the 6pt violation?

So per the expiration - all points have a decay of 90 days or is it 20% reduction per 90?  Will mods stop badgering members over expired points?

If this is 'automated', what triggers points?

All actions have consequences and Neowin is no different, Neowin Moderators follow a standard policy when warning members.

If a member accrues a certain amount of points, they will not be allowed to post content in the following stages:

The punishments are automated, maybe I should have been more clear. Moderators still issue warnings, but the points = standard punishments..

Yes, after 90 days (per warning) old system was every 6 months = reduced by 20%. The old system will be wiped at some point, probably after 3 months because those points won't be auto reduced on the new system.

Oh, so now you reduce the warning period.  I had to wait a full year for all my warnings to drop off.  :P    haha

Good deal, hope this cracks down on the trolls here.  They can take a good post and ruin it real quick.

• Like 2

If this is 'automated', what triggers points?  Are violations weighted?

So two in 90 days results in a 2 day.  Wouldn't a week make more sense for the 6pt violation?

Additional points = harsher punishments, and eventual ban.

Thanks, Neobond. This site is simply amazing, and you keep making it better and better every day. Keep up the great work, buddy! (Y)

• Like 3

Neowin should have a system that autmatically that detects bad words and simple personal attack sentences and refuses to posts them. It would take some weight off of moderator shoulders.

• Like 1

The punishments are automated, maybe I should have been more clear. Moderators still issue warnings, but the points = standard punishments..

So how does that "stop everyone from assuming that different people get away with punishment, or are treated more harshly than anyone else." if mods are the ones still deciding who gets them and how many?  Just confused on how that different from the 'automation' of the old system from a member's POV.

Are infractions per the CR given a uniform point penalty?

Neowin should have a system that autmatically that detects bad words and simple personal attack sentences and refuses to posts them. It would take some weight off of moderator shoulders.

There is already a swear filter and personal attacks would be hard to filter/detect.  Some try and circumvent the swear filter but leaving letters out of a swear word.  But again, hard to filter that out automatically.

So how does that "stop everyone from assuming that different people get away with punishment, or are treated more harshly than anyone else." if mods are the ones still deciding who gets them and how many?  Just confused on how that different from the 'automation' of the old system from a member's POV.

Prior to this, sometimes some staffers forget or intentionally don't apply posting restrictions when members hit a certain warning level, say 10 days for reaching 60%. Now the forum software automatically places an appropriate posting restriction when it detects a warning level is about to hit a 'milestone.'

That also means that a few members would tend to stay at 100% multiple times, just with posting restrictions piled on and them getting warnings faster than they're shedding them. With this new system, a full 12 points and you're out.

When you reach x points x punishment is handed out, as stated in the community rules consequences section. What's so hard to understand about that? :p

I find it sad that people can't post without resorting to (personal) insults and all the trolling that goes on. I for one am glad there's now a system that automates the points tallies against punishments. Before, staff had endless conversations on "what to do with <insert membername here>, we've given <insertmember name here> x chances already.

Edit: Denis beat me to it :P

That's unnecessarily strict and it also defeats the purpose of the warnings, which is to get members to change their behaviour.

If I were to quote a story posted on say Kotaku in Gamers Hangout and the article has the word ###### in it, why should that post be denied?

• Like 1

I find it sad that people can't post without resorting to (personal) insults and all the trolling that goes on.

Agreed, I used to be bad at some of that a few years ago, but hey...people can change. It is ok to voice your opinion and no one knows everything. It is just how you voice it that is the problem.

I have to say tho that sites like TheVerge are terrible with user comments. WHy I do not read their comments and just pay attention to the news posts. Neowin is much more controlled. Night and day.

• Like 1