Let’s talk about the Xbox Live Cloud

xbox live cloud xbox one

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 TITAN XO-16

TITAN XO-16

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:53

Yes, some of the BF games which really ****ed people off because there were so few servers and people started hacking them to make custom servers because EA or whatever the company was didn't release an official server.

It's not free for the gamer, you have to pay for xb live gold to use any multiplayer features.

Honestly, are half the people commenting above just ****ing blind or what? I didn't even say the MS cloud was JUST for dedicated servers, I said the move from player servers to dedicated servers is nothing amazing, yes it's a great improvement over the 360 multiplayer but it is certainly nothing new.

I see you have a certain superiority complex going on there buddy.
Anyway, so what if its not new? I don't think anyone was saying it was new,
what's new is
1) that the servers are offered to every devs (never been done before, if it has prove it = new)
2) devs won't have to worry about the upkeep, bandwidth and latency of those servers ( has been done for other apps/OS but not for games on the scale = new)
3) devs can use those servers for whatever they want, eg. For matchmaking, compute, etc. (again, new)

So once again maybe if you think about it a bit more you would see that Microsoft is doing for dedicated servers what they did with Xbox live introduced with the original Xbox in the early 2000s.

Sure it's not "free" for Xbox live users because we're paying for Xbox live but then what will PS4 users pay for if they won't be getting the same benefits as Xbox live users?

#17 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:18

Sure it's not "free" for Xbox live users because we're paying for Xbox live but then what will PS4 users pay for if they won't be getting the same benefits as Xbox live users?

AFAIK sony didn't limit online to using the online parts of the SDK like MS did with the 360, heck I KNOW sony didn't do that because that FPS game with 256 players per map had a huge PS3 cluster hosting the dedicated servers for it.

997953788_01bf388d5c_o.jpg997953862_f602966618_m.jpg

'devs won't have to worry about the upkeep, bandwidth and latency of those servers'

That is pretty much the only benefit, gamers don't care if they're using dedicated azure servers or ordinary dedicated game servers, it doesn't make a single bit of difference to them.

#18 TITAN XO-16

TITAN XO-16

Neowinian

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:25

AFAIK sony didn't limit online to using the online parts of the SDK like MS did with the 360, heck I KNOW sony didn't do that because that FPS game with 256 players per map had a huge PS3 cluster hosting the dedicated servers for it.

'devs won't have to worry about the upkeep, bandwidth and latency of those servers'
That is pretty much the only benefit, gamers don't care if they're using dedicated azure servers or ordinary dedicated game servers, it doesn't make a single bit of difference to them.

Wht you happen to post pictures of are actually not real servers they are PS3 machines running as "server" cluster for a specific game this wasn't available for all games.

Plus the game followed the same mark that users host the games (just like on Xbox 360), the ps3 clusters were there so it would be easier for players to rank up level up etc for a single game, even Sony said so.
http://blog.us.plays...arhawk-servers/

What I think you're still trying to prove is that dedicated servers has been done already. And what you're failing to understand is that no one is saying you're wrong, but there's way more going on here than you're allowing yourself to see.

And you only see my #2 point as the only benefit? What about #3 where devs can use those servers as compute clusters? and #1 that all this is offered to all devs to use at very good prices?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!