19 posts in this topic

Posted

Despite Australia

Posted

The Acting Director of the Classification Board, Mr Donald McDonald announced today that Saints Row IV was the first computer game in Australia to be Refused Classification under the Guidelines for the Classification of Computer Games that commenced on 1 January 2013,

Posted

Changes still aren't going take full effect until younger or gen y workers get in the classification board. 

I'm sure slapping prostitutes with a dildo is outside the scope of fun game play for the 40+ year old's that work there. 

Posted

lol^ too true.

Plus, I think the criteria used to judge this stuff is from 1995. Might be just a tad out of date.

Posted

It's just a video game. Is Australia the only country that banned Saints Row IV? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

Posted

I don't know of any other country that has banned it. Everyone who has R18+/adult ratings actually use them. 

Posted

"implied sexual violence" LOL

No wonder people pirate games. If you can't even get them in store it leaves little choice.

Posted

and for some reason, they just loves lump sexual & violence in same group.

Posted

If the reports that Volition are going to release a censored copy for Australia is true I'll have to cancel my pre-order and get it via some other method.

The content might be tasteless or whatever, but I should be the one to decide I don't like it, not some random guy who took offense to it.

Posted

Would it matter if some one in Australia were to paypal some one money who lives in the US or another country and have that person buy them the game as gift?

Interesting to note that the pc version of Saints Row IV is listed as $49.99 where the console versions are $59.99 on amazon.

Posted

Yeah, that works fine, I got L4D2 that way.

Posted

I guess Mad Max game has no hope then :woot:

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know of any other country that has banned it. Everyone who has R18+/adult ratings actually use them. 

I remember reading somewhere that Australia got R18+ rating a while ago. What happened to that?

edit: Yap, I remembered correctly:

Subject to this, the national R18+ category for games will come into effect on 1 January 2013.

http://www.cnet.com.au/australia-officially-introduces-r18-for-games-339339917.htm

So not everyone.

Posted

The content might be tasteless or whatever, but I should be the one to decide I don't like it, not some random guy who took offense to it.

I thought that was entirely the point of content sticker: it allows the consumer to decide whether or not the content is something that is appropriate for them or the person they are buying it for.

Posted

Donald McDonald, ha!

1 person likes this

Posted

I remember reading somewhere that Australia got R18+ rating a while ago. What happened to that?

We did, but we still have a classification process that is apparently run by people that, if they find content in a game objectionable, can refuse to classify the title (effectively banning it)

Posted

threads merged

Posted

We did, but we still have a classification process that is apparently run by people that, if they find content in a game objectionable, can refuse to classify the title (effectively banning it)

Yeah, and they decided an "alien anal probe" weapon was too far, so that's what they want cut or changed.

Posted

I import all my games anyway so I guess it doesn't effect me all that much.