iGEA Responds To Saints Row IV Being Refused Classification

Despite Australia?s newly created R18+ rating, Saints Row IV has been refused classification by the Classification Board as a result of ?interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence?. The iGEA has responded to the news stating that it ?must accept that there will be some video games which will fall outside the scope of the R18+ guidelines?.

The statement reads as follows:

We can?t specifically comment on the Classification Board?s decision to issue Saints Row IV with a Refused Classification as we aren?t privy to the specific content of the game. Broadly speaking though, one of the key reasons an R18+ was introduced was to ensure that we strike a balance between giving adult Australians access to adult games while protecting children from inappropriate content. Under the new guidelines, we celebrate the fact that adults can now access age-appropriate games which may have otherwise been refused classification, but as we have argued, we also must accept that there will be some video games which will fall outside the scope of the R18+ guidelines. Whether we agree or not with this specific classification, it highlights that the classification system is functioning as it should and that R18+ was never meant to open the ?floodgates? for all types of content.

Overall, we remain confident that the Classification Board is applying the new guidelines as they see appropriate, but we also recognise that with any change to a system as subjective and complex as applying classification guidelines, there will always be a ?settling in? period where all stakeholders strive to find an appropriate middle ground. Currently, we?re at the ?high water? mark where there?s a natural inclination to err on the side of caution.

We have yet to learn if the game will be resubmitted, we?ll update when we any new information comes to light.

Source

Derp. Import for me. 

The Acting Director of the Classification Board, Mr Donald McDonald announced today that Saints Row IV was the first computer game in Australia to be Refused Classification under the Guidelines for the Classification of Computer Games that commenced on 1 January 2013,?

?In the Board?s opinion, Saints Row IV, includes interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence which are not justified by context,? a press release explained. ?In addition, the game includes elements of illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards. Such depictions are prohibited by the computer games guidelines.?

Changes still aren't going take full effect until younger or gen y workers get in the classification board. 

I'm sure slapping prostitutes with a dildo is outside the scope of fun game play for the 40+ year old's that work there. 

lol^ too true.

Plus, I think the criteria used to judge this stuff is from 1995. Might be just a tad out of date.

It's just a video game. Is Australia the only country that banned Saints Row IV? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

I don't know of any other country that has banned it. Everyone who has R18+/adult ratings actually use them. 

"implied sexual violence" LOL

No wonder people pirate games. If you can't even get them in store it leaves little choice.

If the reports that Volition are going to release a censored copy for Australia is true I'll have to cancel my pre-order and get it via some other method.

The content might be tasteless or whatever, but I should be the one to decide I don't like it, not some random guy who took offense to it.

Would it matter if some one in Australia were to paypal some one money who lives in the US or another country and have that person buy them the game as gift?

Interesting to note that the pc version of Saints Row IV is listed as $49.99 where the console versions are $59.99 on amazon.

I don't know of any other country that has banned it. Everyone who has R18+/adult ratings actually use them. 

I remember reading somewhere that Australia got R18+ rating a while ago. What happened to that?

edit: Yap, I remembered correctly:

Subject to this, the national R18+ category for games will come into effect on 1 January 2013.

http://www.cnet.com.au/australia-officially-introduces-r18-for-games-339339917.htm

So not everyone.

The content might be tasteless or whatever, but I should be the one to decide I don't like it, not some random guy who took offense to it.

I thought that was entirely the point of content sticker: it allows the consumer to decide whether or not the content is something that is appropriate for them or the person they are buying it for.

I remember reading somewhere that Australia got R18+ rating a while ago. What happened to that?

We did, but we still have a classification process that is apparently run by people that, if they find content in a game objectionable, can refuse to classify the title (effectively banning it)

We did, but we still have a classification process that is apparently run by people that, if they find content in a game objectionable, can refuse to classify the title (effectively banning it)

Yeah, and they decided an "alien anal probe" weapon was too far, so that's what they want cut or changed.