Jump to content



Photo

Taco Bell rebranding some meat as 'protein'

ohio power protein healthier menu fda sodium calories secret recipe

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,996 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 25 June 2013 - 17:27

Taco Bell will soon start marketing some of its "taco meat fillings" under an even more ambiguous name: protein.

That's the plan for a handful of restaurants in Dayton, Ohio, where the chain will test out a new "Power Protein" menu featuring four new chicken and steak entrees starting July 25. The rebranding is not about moving away from the word "meat" itself so much as it is about offering healthier menu options, according to the company.

All the new offerings will have at least 20 grams of protein and fewer than 420 calories, making them the first items "created with our new nutritional guardrails in mind," according to a Taco Bell press release. Among items on the existing menu, a Cantina Burrito with steak packs 780 calories; the vegetarian option isn't much better at 740. The Volcano Nachos, meanwhile, contain 970 calories and 1,670 milligrams of sodium, more than half the FDA's total daily recommended intake.

In April, Taco Bell announced that it wanted to start offering more balanced, healthy fare. The company said it hoped to have 20 percent of its menu contain one-third or less of the FDA's daily recommended guidelines for fat, sodium, and calories (based on the assumption that most people eat three meals per day) by the year 2020.

The rollout of a protein-branded menu comes months after tests found Taco Bell beef in Britain contained traces of horse meat. The company said its own testing confirmed that finding, but added that no U.S. beef was affected.

Back in 2011, Taco Bell endured another public spectacle over the quality of its meat after a class-action suit alleged the company's beef was really made of just 35 percent beef and a whole bunch of question marks. Taco Bell responded with an ad campaign to "set the record straight" that its meat was actually made with 88 percent beef, with the other 12 percent made with a "secret recipe." :shiftyninja:

After the lawyers who brought that lawsuit dropped their case, Taco Bell gloated over the victory, asking in another press release, "Would it kill you to say you're sorry?"

source




#2 Growled

Growled

    Neowinian Senior

  • 41,508 posts
  • Joined: 17-December 08
  • Location: USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 20:04

If I want healthy I'll stay home and fix something. When I go to Taco Bell I want a laded to the gills taco.



#3 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

    LittleNeutrino

  • 16,166 posts
  • Joined: 25-July 05
  • Location: Ohio
  • OS: Windows 8.1u1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 25 June 2013 - 20:09

its healthier because there is no meat and its all soy lol.



#4 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 62,996 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 25 June 2013 - 22:24

Labeling it protein, they could have flies or road-kill in it. :laugh:



#5 Gaffney

Gaffney

    I have no title

  • 1,783 posts
  • Joined: 24-September 09

Posted 25 June 2013 - 22:50

Why don't they just admit the real reason, to reduce costs by using the worst parts of an animal and other substances.



#6 Growled

Growled

    Neowinian Senior

  • 41,508 posts
  • Joined: 17-December 08
  • Location: USA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 22:56

Labeling it protein, they could have flies or road-kill in it. :laugh:

I wonder what kind of road kill? They say possum is good. :D



#7 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

    Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

  • 3,699 posts
  • Joined: 20-August 12
  • Location: Black Mesa Research Facility, USA
  • OS: Windows 95 with Microsoft Plus
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 25 June 2013 - 23:00

When ever I go to taco bell I get try to get chicken burritos  and get the "meat" tacos . They use this special beef mix which is like wheat with a little meat. Chicken is the safest way to go at fast food because chicken is chicken. Taco Bell is not even real Mexican food, its yes-mex. 



#8 shadodemon

shadodemon

    Neowinian

  • 231 posts
  • Joined: 16-March 06

Posted 25 June 2013 - 23:20

Where is the meat? I guess it isn't here :p