55 posts in this topic

Posted

A Long Island woman collapsed and died in a Bay Shore health club

Posted

2 people like this

Posted

Idiot employee. But nobody else had a cell phone to call 911?

Posted

No one is obligated to do CPR.

And if something goes wrong, you may get sued.

2 people like this

Posted

Not sure this is going anywhere because there is no legal requirement to be a Good Samaritan; apply CPR or whatever. In some states Good Samaritan's also have very weak protections from lawsuits by the very people they're helping or their relatives even if they survive.

No win situation.

Posted

Even if you know CPR, you should not perform CPR on anyone w/o the permit.  Otherwise, you will get sued by their family if something goes wrong.  It's sad, but you have to protect yourself first.

Posted

This is the problem. If you actually try to help and something goes wrong you can end up being sued, which is the height of lunacy. In fact the US actually has legal precedent established to not provide assistance. It seems antithetical for a society to encourage people not to care about their fellow citizens and to have laws that penalise those that do.

The real issue here is the accusation that the gym didn't have the legally required equipment or staff trained in how to use it. If that's the case then the gym is clearly at fault. Further, if the staff member had CPR training then he should have provided assistance. In some countries you can be prosecuted for not providing assistance.

4 people like this

Posted

"But she's drowning!". "I'm sorry mam. No one, even lifeguards, are allowed to swim after 10 PM. If this had only happened one minute ago, maybe I could've done something".

Posted

The real issue here is the accusation that the gym didn't have the legally required equipment or staff trained in how to use it. If that's the case then the gym is clearly at fault. Further, if the staff member had CPR training then he should have provided assistance. In some countries you can be prosecuted for not providing assistance.

I agree and it is an issue and it is probably why the family will win the lawsuit.

Posted

This is crazy isn't it.  Best to not do it and wait for the professionals. 

Posted

Why didn't ANYONE call 911?

Posted

Good samaritan laws protect those who do act.

Posted

RTFA...

Posted

Higgins did -- after 4.5 minutes.

I think most thought that since this was a young woman that collapsed, that it was not that serious.

They didn't realize.

Posted

Higgins did -- after 4.5 minutes.

I think most thought that since this was a young woman that collapsed, that it was not that serious.

They didn't realize.

I wouldn't be thinking it was anything serious either, since she was young. But I would have rushed in there to see.

Posted

what was he going to do ? get the broom and sweep her up ? .... he does not have to save her... his only obligation is to make sure stuff is clean and in its place before he leaves... I hope they family lose the case and are told to shut up

1 person likes this

Posted

Posted

There were two problems.

1) He should have called 911 immediately

2) They were apparently in violation about the auto-defibrillator and trained staff member

I think that all of the rest of the stuff about how he didn't go into the bathroom (to do what? "Yup, she's collapsed all right!") and about the other staff member knowing CPR are pretty irrelevant. "Knowing CPR" and being qualified to perform it at a moment's notice are two different things. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Why would smith perform CPR if the person had a pulse. as far as I know you're not supposed to do at least heart compressions on a person with a pulse...

Posted

what was he going to do ? get the broom and sweep her up ? .... he does not have to save her... his only obligation is to make sure stuff is clean and in its place before he leaves... I hope they family lose the case and are told to shut up

Are you ironic or just plain stupid ? Or maybe you're just an ugly troll ...

Posted

What, no one else could call 911?  Everyone has a cell phone these days.  But hey, blame it on the employee to make a buck.  Yes, the employee should of called 911 but maybe he panicked.  And what else was he supposed to do?  If he didnt know what he was doing, could cause more harm than good.

Posted

I don't even see why a gym should be required to have someone to perform cpr and know how to use a defibrillator.  A gym employee is not a lifeguard who's full time job is saving people and shouldn't have that responsibility.  If you're going to start a precedent like that then you might as well say every place should have someone for it which would be completely unrealistic.  

Also no one else there had a cell phone?  Is this story from like 1995?

Posted

Good samaritan laws protect those who do act.

Sadly, those laws do not exist in every state, and sometimes even when they do exist, they only protect against criminal prosecution, but civil lawsuits are perfectly fine to bring against the Samaritan 

Posted

I don't even see why a gym should be required to have someone to perform cpr and know how to use a defibrillator.  A gym employee is not a lifeguard who's full time job is saving people and shouldn't have that responsibility.  If you're going to start a precedent like that then you might as well say every place should have someone for it which would be completely unrealistic.  

Also no one else there had a cell phone?  Is this story from like 1995?

The gym still has a duty of care to look after it's clients. This guy isn't personally responsible, but the gym is liable, not for her death, but for the very poor handling of an emergency. It's already stated that a violation has been committed and with this guy not having a clue what to do i can only assume more violations have been comitted aswell. 

Posted

Are you ironic or just plain stupid ? Or maybe you're just an ugly troll ...

says the person trying to get a reaction out of me by calling me a troll? pfft what ever :) ....just pointing out with an extra thick layer,,, that he does not have to help her... even if he was allowed in the bathroom...