Law Suit: Worker didn't help woman dying in gym bathroom

People shouldn't be damned for trying to do the right thing. I understand the need for health and safety laws but they were never meant to hinder people that try genuinely to save lives. A legal rethink on such matters is needed in my opinion.

Problem is that America is more worried about people using "protection" laws as workarounds to to harm people or such things, instead of helping people. 

2) They were apparently in violation about the auto-defibrillator and trained staff member

i think this are the only issue in this case that can make this family win in court; the gym should have, by law, trained staff and equipment to handle an emergency situation; unfortunately in this case neither was available to help the young woman.

Also taking 4.5 minutes to call 911 is too much, again show lack of trained staff.

on a more deep level, society is getting more and more dehumanized; once i was in my country's capital city walking in one of the most busiest and populated streets and saw a old man lying on the ground, in a unusual fashion; people were jumping onto him, without even trying to help him out or caring; i had to ask for help and ask for people to call the equivalent of 911 (it was in the 90's, cellphones weren't available like today), learned after he was having a stroke. People on the street didn't care and that image shocked me how insensitive are we becoming, as a society.

i think this are the only issue in this case that can make this family win in court; the gym should have, by law, trained staff and equipment to handle an emergency situation; unfortunately in this case neither was available to help the young woman.

Also taking 4.5 minutes to call 911 is too much, again show lack of trained staff.

On the first point, they are wrong, you don't actually need any training to use the automatic deliberators, you just follow the pictographs and hit a button, heck most of them will even voice guide you and tell you what to do and what you did wrong(provided you're a complete idiot).  While most of the companies that supply and services these(the cover with perishable stuff like the glue pads needs to be replaced regularly by the company delivering it) do provide training, it's absolutely not necessary for usage and is more to make you comfortable with the situation not for learning how to actually use it, as you'll forget that anyway and will just follow the instructions. 

regarding the time to call. well yeah, BUT the guy at the desk didn't really know if this was a serious case or not at this point, and he couldn't go in to check. again, an issue with a country that is more concerned with laws protecting people from abusing "protection" laws like good samaritans, than helping people by providing good samaritan laws. 

Given the poor attitude towards other peoples' well being displayed in this thread by some members I really hope I never collapse and need help from any of you guys.  :(