new york remained frozen loud snoring change policies video footage

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 +Vykranth

Vykranth

Chantez, compagnons, dans la nuit la Liberté nous écoute

• 3,247 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 20:12

If I walk into walmart and suddenly drop with a heart attack or whatever, I wouldn't expect the 80 year old walmart greeter to go beyond their job description and administer CPR.  Would I still do business with Walmart (or whomever), yes.

Not CPR, sure but I would expect that he would alert someone who would call 911.

May be there is an other employee who has CPR training.

One thing that I forgot to mention about French law is that employers are required by law to educate their employees for security and health.

Depending on the company field and size, there are trainings for fires, CPRs, accidents, evacuation exercise.

Makes the workplace safer and it makes that a good portion of people in the streets know first aid.

A long time ago, I was working in Dallas for Arco and the first thing they made me do was taking the safety training, explaining what to do in case of fires, chemical spills, tornadoes, what number to call in case of a problem, ...

And it was good to me even if I was a short term contractor working there

There's always a hope they'd call 911 but not a requirement.  Lawyers have screwed the US system so much that your damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And, really, this is the saddest part of it.

#47 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,368 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 20:18

Another example of how a sue happy society has broken down common decency in fear of being sued for everything you have.

#48 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,630 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 20:19

What is funny is the lady that asked for help, didnt do anything either.  But blame the worker and the place since that will get the biggest payout.   And say the worker did go in to the ladies locker room and help...and there were naked women that he saw.  He would them be sued for that.  

And people can call the guy stupid all they want.  They were not in his situation.  He probably just panicked, like I said previously, and your mind doesnt think right in these situations. 

“I want to know why no one helped her!” Hamlin’s mother, Jeanine, 52, said tearfully last week in her Central Islip home.

Should be asking Stephanie Dick that very same question.  Ask for help, the guy does nothing and doesnt even call 911 so you stay there and argue with the guy.  If I ask for help, no one does anything, then I will go behind the desk, grab the phone, and dial 911 myself.  That is if I dont have my cell phone on me, which I always do.

As Dick talked to the 911 operator via cellphone — eight minutes after members alerted the front desk

So she waited 8 minutes before calling her self?  Now that is stupid.  And if the worker is to blame and is guilty, she is just as much so herself.

#49 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 20:20

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a society has became so litigious that one person can't save another person's life because they're worried about being sued. As House put it "The boy who sued wolf"

#50 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,630 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 20:23

Another example of how a sue happy society has broken down common decency in fear of being sued for everything you have.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a society has became so litigious that one person can't save another person's life because they're worried about being sued. As House put it "The boy who sued wolf"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#51 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 21:59

People shouldn't be damned for trying to do the right thing. I understand the need for health and safety laws but they were never meant to hinder people that try genuinely to save lives. A legal rethink on such matters is needed in my opinion.

#52 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 June 2013 - 22:19

Problem is that America is more worried about people using "protection" laws as workarounds to to harm people or such things, instead of helping people. 

#53 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,500 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 00:39

2) They were apparently in violation about the auto-defibrillator and trained staff member

i think this are the only issue in this case that can make this family win in court; the gym should have, by law, trained staff and equipment to handle an emergency situation; unfortunately in this case neither was available to help the young woman.

Also taking 4.5 minutes to call 911 is too much, again show lack of trained staff.

on a more deep level, society is getting more and more dehumanized; once i was in my country's capital city walking in one of the most busiest and populated streets and saw a old man lying on the ground, in a unusual fashion; people were jumping onto him, without even trying to help him out or caring; i had to ask for help and ask for people to call the equivalent of 911 (it was in the 90's, cellphones weren't available like today), learned after he was having a stroke. People on the street didn't care and that image shocked me how insensitive are we becoming, as a society.

#54 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 June 2013 - 00:52

i think this are the only issue in this case that can make this family win in court; the gym should have, by law, trained staff and equipment to handle an emergency situation; unfortunately in this case neither was available to help the young woman.

Also taking 4.5 minutes to call 911 is too much, again show lack of trained staff.

On the first point, they are wrong, you don't actually need any training to use the automatic deliberators, you just follow the pictographs and hit a button, heck most of them will even voice guide you and tell you what to do and what you did wrong(provided you're a complete idiot).  While most of the companies that supply and services these(the cover with perishable stuff like the glue pads needs to be replaced regularly by the company delivering it) do provide training, it's absolutely not necessary for usage and is more to make you comfortable with the situation not for learning how to actually use it, as you'll forget that anyway and will just follow the instructions. 

regarding the time to call. well yeah, BUT the guy at the desk didn't really know if this was a serious case or not at this point, and he couldn't go in to check. again, an issue with a country that is more concerned with laws protecting people from abusing "protection" laws like good samaritans, than helping people by providing good samaritan laws. 

#55 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,954 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 June 2013 - 00:58

Given the poor attitude towards other peoples' well being displayed in this thread by some members I really hope I never collapse and need help from any of you guys.  :(