How much of a temp diff does thermal paste make?

I REALLY hope you use quality paste if you use the x method and especially if you use that large an x, because that's a LOT of paste and will result in at least a 1mm thick layer of paste. 

when you say quality what do you mean exactly? How much higher will your CPU/GP/APU clock with Indigo or other expensive TIMs compared to MX-2 or AS5? The answer is it won't.

That being said buy whatever makes you happy as long as you understand there is no useful performance advantage to any one of the top ~(25) TIMs vs. the others.

jesus man when I bought this tube, Arctic Silver 5 was called "high end expensive".  Never even heard of Indigo or MX-2.  

Forget the brand name and the price, what's most important is the thermal conductivity [W/m-k] and thermal resistance [C-in2/W] (and to a lesser extent, the trustworthiness of the brand in reporting those values).  This no-name tube I bought had similar values as AS5, along with the exact same % of silver, and was 1/5th the price.  This single tube that I bought over 10 years ago has lasted me through 3 different CPUs of my own, as well as dozens of applications on friends' PCs, and it still has 1/3rd left in the syringe.

when you say quality what do you mean exactly? How much higher will your CPU/GP/APU clock with Indigo or other expensive TIMs compared to MX-2 or AS5? The answer is it won't.

That being said buy whatever makes you happy as long as you understand there is no useful performance advantage to any one of the top ~(25) TIMs vs. the others.

Depends. if you're doing a thick layer like the X method, it'll make a "big" difference. if you're doing a thin scraped layer or the rice grain method, not so much. but again, the scale of "big" is another matter, in percentages not so much, but the temp value difference could be.