Photo

How much of a temp diff does thermal paste make?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 25 June 2013 - 22:28

There is very little difference in compounds, look at the link or check out TPUs, its all within a few degrees. Again paste is paste. Regarding method of installing paste I will not argue a out, you have the pea method, the line method, the x method it depends on the compound you choose to use

TIMBestTemp5-535x600.png

I also suggest everyone look at this video http://www.youtube.c...yXLu1Ms-q4&NR=1 x method seems to be the best not pea, but it also depends on type of paste and type of heatsink

http://www.youtube.c...notation_461720 here is with mx2

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 June 2013 - 23:05

Well, the only component I ever had die of overheating was a video card that had gobs and gobs of thermal paste on it from the factory. 

If you look at a factory cooler (and trust me, Intel / AMD engineers probably know more about thermal transfer than you do), it's always a small square in the center of the heatsink, and fairly thin. 

#18 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 June 2013 - 00:30

again im backing my info with sources; obviously they know more but if you read anything I typed it depends on sink what type is best and its a circle pattern not square on the intel sinks, its also pre applied of course they wont pre apply with a drop but a thin layer

#19 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 26 June 2013 - 00:43

I guess it depends on your definition of "center" and "corners"

300px-AMD_Phenom_die_equalized.png

but okay, tonight I'm gonna try reapplying it using a centre pea like in the video.  I think it's too much, as I believe the resulting extra thickness will add too much thermal resistance, but maybe I'm wrong.  I only have so much paste left in the tube.

#20 Scorpian8867

Scorpian8867

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:18

That only shows a shot of the die, not the entire chip. Here's what a delidded CPU will look like:

cpu-delidded.jpeg

Granted, that's a different chip from what you have, but it's the same idea. That reddish part in the middle is what generates all of the heat. As long as the thermal paste covers that particular area, you're fine.

#21 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:14

300px-AMD_Phenom_die_equalized.png

but okay, tonight I'm gonna try reapplying it using a centre pea like in the video.  I think it's too much, as I believe the resulting extra thickness will add too much thermal resistance, but maybe I'm wrong.  I only have so much paste left in the tube.

you do realize that isn't the entire processor and only the die, with the IHS on the cores are in the middle ....

edit someone beat me to it

#22 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:56

I always make an x, 2 diagonal lines from corner to corner. I tried different methods from pea sized dot, to a happy face. X gave me the best results.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:44

I always make an x, 2 diagonal lines from corner to corner. I tried different methods from pea sized dot, to a happy face. X gave me the best results.

I REALLY hope you use quality paste if you use the x method and especially if you use that large an x, because that's a LOT of paste and will result in at least a 1mm thick layer of paste. 

#24 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:29

I REALLY hope you use quality paste if you use the x method and especially if you use that large an x, because that's a LOT of paste and will result in at least a 1mm thick layer of paste. 

well if youre doing an x, of course you're going to use a fine tip syringe so you don't get too much on there. anyone whos put thermal paste will know if there is too much on there when applying it. I might get a little overshoot sometimes, but overall,it gives the most consistent spread IMO. I always use mx-4

#25 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 28 June 2013 - 20:23

Well you definitely don't want big gobs of paste or it'll do more harm than good. I've had a couple of Macbooks and an iMac where they applied paste like it was mayonnaise. Also, make sure you're using a quality thermal paste that's actually a thermal paste. Some of the cheap stuff I've seen is practically a rebranded Elmer's Glue.

Does Mayonnaise Last as a Thermal Compound? (hardwaresecrets.com) :shiftyninja:

Spoiler

#26 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 July 2013 - 00:52

when you say quality what do you mean exactly? How much higher will your CPU/GP/APU clock with Indigo or other expensive TIMs compared to MX-2 or AS5? The answer is it won't.

That being said buy whatever makes you happy as long as you understand there is no useful performance advantage to any one of the top ~(25) TIMs vs. the others.

#27 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:32

jesus man when I bought this tube, Arctic Silver 5 was called "high end expensive".  Never even heard of Indigo or MX-2.  

Forget the brand name and the price, what's most important is the thermal conductivity [W/m-k] and thermal resistance [C-in2/W] (and to a lesser extent, the trustworthiness of the brand in reporting those values).  This no-name tube I bought had similar values as AS5, along with the exact same % of silver, and was 1/5th the price.  This single tube that I bought over 10 years ago has lasted me through 3 different CPUs of my own, as well as dozens of applications on friends' PCs, and it still has 1/3rd left in the syringe.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:45

when you say quality what do you mean exactly? How much higher will your CPU/GP/APU clock with Indigo or other expensive TIMs compared to MX-2 or AS5? The answer is it won't.

That being said buy whatever makes you happy as long as you understand there is no useful performance advantage to any one of the top ~(25) TIMs vs. the others.

Depends. if you're doing a thick layer like the X method, it'll make a "big" difference. if you're doing a thin scraped layer or the rice grain method, not so much. but again, the scale of "big" is another matter, in percentages not so much, but the temp value difference could be. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!