What do we think of the Xbox One Kinect?

(I can't quote on IE11 so whatever.)

I just think 'crowded expo hall' isn't really a proper place to demo Kinect....and there likely won't be too much use out of it except from first party titles and AAA with voice control, but we'll see.  That it actually is capable this go will likely make it a bigger thing than it was last go but I imagine at first it'll be more about the OS control and communication apps and such than the games.

That's just ridiculous in my opinion. I get the feeling your just messing around, but it still sounds ridiculous.

First of all, I'm pretty sure Kinect will carry the same warranty as the console so you would get a free replacement. Secondly, why is the assumption that the hardware is going to be so unreliable that it requires regular replacement? The first Kinect seem to do just fine, heck it had a much better track record than the Xbox itself.  Finally, its cute to try and spin a conspiracy theory around MS forcing out faulty hardware in order to guarantee that they make loads of money off replacements, but come on lol.

That would probably be the worst business decision one could make. MS especially know what happens when you put out faulty hardware.

Still, I think MS will have an option to boot the system without Kinect connected. It could even happen before launch.

I am not talking about unreliable hardware I'm talking about what if you drop it and it brakes, what about if you take it with you on a trip and loose or forget the kinect on your trip, etc.. these are not covered on the warranty and in those examples in the xbox 360 you have the option of buying another one or if you don't think it's worth spending more money then you were free not to buy it but now if you want to keep on using the xbone then you have to buy anotherone even when the xbone is fully capable of functioning without the kinect. Microsoft is just putting artificial restrictions.

I'm pretty sure microsoft can figure out a way of implementing "if kinect detected then use fancy stuff else use controller" as easy as that.

So am I not allowed to have an opinion or something? I don't understand you guys. I'm giving my opinion, which is all I ever presented it as.

I've wrote multiple news posts about "Ryse" mentioning its Kinect integration, so yes, I'm well aware of it. I would hardly call it "deep," however, as it's just voice commands that we know of.

Geez, seems like everyone gets so defensive. What's wrong with discussing an opinion. No insults were thrown around, just bringing up points.

This is why its hard to have debates online. You get shot down for debating opinions.

I  think that red "editor" badge is like a red rag to a bull on this forum sometimes.  :rofl:

lol, I guess we aren't allowed to debate such posts.

Regarding the topic, I think MS has integrated Kinect as it has in order to insure developers will see a large user base that is worth building software for. I agree that this is mostly an artificial restriction, meant to prove something for pr reasons to devs. I don't know if changing that would depress dev support, so that is something they need to figure out.

I agree with most that MS will have to allow Kinect to disconnected in some fashion.

As far as MS showing off Kinect game titles, I agree that MS needs to showcase the improved hardware through games, but I don't think E3 was the place for that. MS has been attacked by the gaming media and many in the gaming community when they devote time to showcasing Kinect only titles, so MS made a rare good pr move and focused on Core titles instead. The thing about Kinect only titles is that they can easily be showcased outside of those events, so I expect to see more of that leading up to launch.

One thing I think everyone should keep in mind though is that we probably won't see much in game content focused on using Kinect at launch. Like any non-traditional control, its going to take time for devs to pick it up and take risks building games.  Now this being the 2nd version of Kinect should help since it won't be completely new to devs, but its new hardware with new api, so it won't happen overnight.

Seeing how it's more advanced and able to do way more stuff I don't expect to see it used in cool new ways right off the bat.  I bet games that are coming in 2nd half of 2014 will be the ones to look at.   Voice commands are the easy thing to add to a hardcore controller based game though, so it's what they do first.   Head tracking or controller tracking should be next up.  Since the Kinect can track the controller you're holding then it could be used in different ways in games also.  Tiling it left or right to lean over cover etc.  

That's the basis of my problem, though: If Kinect is so important that you've determined it key to your console's success and require it to be connected to every console, then you better show a reason why it's so vital. They only showed, what, two or three gaming implementations at their E3 press conference? And all of those were basic voice commands or something similar. Those aren't killer features.

"Kinect Sports Rivals" was shown off in a trailer, though they said nothing about it. And supposedly the new Kinect sensor has insanely improved tracking recognition, which is fantastic. One of the main problems gamers have with the current-generation Kinect is the lag, and that's understandable. Supposedly the next-gen sensor is nearly lag free. If so, why not show that? That's a big selling point.

I was honestly more excited about "Ryse" when it was a Kinect-only title. I'm not a fan of the quick-time events or weak voice integration. I don't think Microsoft was scared to show off Kinect, I think they simply don't have much planned for it at the moment, which strikes me as odd given the emphasis they've placed on it. If they had stuff to show off, they could have done so before or after the press conference, but all they showed was "Kinect Sports Rivals."

Like I said, I'm a fan of Kinect and I have no qualms paying for it. Microsoft still hasn't given a reason why it's as vital as they claim, however.

I think it's DR3 that is making the best use of Kinect IMO...the zombies react to ambient noise in your room and sense your presence etc. That is true next-gen gaming. :) Imagine them doing the same with the camera and reading your heat beat to adjust game logic based on it.

Devs won't bother to add such things if they can't be sure that every single player will have a Kinect.

Imagine this.. You are playing and Adventure game...

You made it to the end... And the final boss looks just like you.., Kinect was their the whole time to Get your face and voice..

That would be nuts...

Or playing a game and you yell out ice shields, and your guys outs up ice shield...

Or just playing a game and calling for rockets to be fired at coordinates that you give...

Or if you playing a survival horror game and you flinch, your character on screen reacts the same way...

If imagination is opened up for Kinect... It can be special...

And I'm not a game developer... But I love games enough ... To keep an open imagination...

Imagine this.. You are playing and Adventure game...

You made it to the end... And the final boss looks just like you.., Kinect was there the whole time to Get your face and voice..

That would be nuts...

Or playing a game and you yell out ice shields, and your guys outs up ice shield...

Or just playing a game and calling for rockets to be fired at coordinates that you give...

Or if you playing a survival horror game and you flinch, your character on screen reacts the same way...

If imagination is opened up for Kinect... It can be special...

And I'm not a game developer... But I love games enough ... To keep an open imagination...

ftfy :)

That's the basis of my problem, though: If Kinect is so important that you've determined it key to your console's success and require it to be connected to every console, then you better show a reason why it's so vital. They only showed, what, two or three gaming implementations at their E3 press conference? And all of those were basic voice commands or something similar. Those aren't killer features.

"Kinect Sports Rivals" was shown off in a trailer, though they said nothing about it. And supposedly the new Kinect sensor has insanely improved tracking recognition, which is fantastic. One of the main problems gamers have with the current-generation Kinect is the lag, and that's understandable. Supposedly the next-gen sensor is nearly lag free. If so, why not show that? That's a big selling point.

I was honestly more excited about "Ryse" when it was a Kinect-only title. I'm not a fan of the quick-time events or weak voice integration. I don't think Microsoft was scared to show off Kinect, I think they simply don't have much planned for it at the moment, which strikes me as odd given the emphasis they've placed on it. If they had stuff to show off, they could have done so before or after the press conference, but all they showed was "Kinect Sports Rivals."

Like I said, I'm a fan of Kinect and I have no qualms paying for it. Microsoft still hasn't given a reason why it's as vital as they claim, however.

They should of just showed it, and how it relates to gaming on the XB1...

But the "Angry Mob", make it hard to do so...

As soon as Microsoft tries to show something the "Angry Mob" are there with their pitchforks and torches before Microsoft gets to even finish...

ftfy :)

Yep...

I'm the new guy..,

Never ventured into the forums until now...

I do post on the main articles on the front page...

lol, I guess we aren't allowed to debate such posts.

Never said that. But when Anthony posts it seems he's always having to argue with someone about something he has posted.

Kinect 2.0 doesn't require as much Space anymore.

The reasons for making Kinect mandatory is most likely:

- The use it for controlling the OS itself, skype etc. (that's why there isn't a headset included)

- MS wants to push NUI. Devs won't make AAA games that requires Kinect features if they can't be assured that 90-100% of the Xbox One users can use it, becasue that would hurt their market. If players are able to disconnect it, many probably would and the devs would only be able to sell the game to ex. 60% of the users. (remember that People would "forget" to bring their kinect when they moved the Xbox, maybe lose it etc. so they wouldn't be able to just reconnect it if the game requires it.

- The Kinect is included with the console and covered by the same warranty. As far as I know it's not going to be sold as an accessory, so if People disconnected it, they could lose it and wouldn't be able to use it. Again, this would stop devs from making games that uses it because they wouldn't be able to sell as much.

As long as it's required to be connected, you won't lose it, will you? :p

This guy gets it, first 2 reasons were a headshot of an answer.

If players are able to disconnect it, many probably would

Sort of speaks volumes about gamers views towards Kinect though, doesn't it?

The first gen Kinect did earn the title such "Gay Kinect"  on some review sites.

The first one wasn't used much so gamers didn't care for it.  Those who had some games that did use it liked those but it was the minority.   The fact the first one was an option and didn't come with each system meant that devs didn't use it much if at all.   That can all change now with the XB1 and once devs can use it more and in cool ways then gamers will use it as well.

It does. That view will never change if there isn't content that makes use of it in a way appealing to gamers.

So its on MS to prove that bundling it in this way is a good thing for gamers. Sort of how Nintendo has to prove that a tablet controller being 'forced' on gamers is a good thing for them. Sony gets a pass since they separated their camera from the system, allowing it to whither away as is often the case for such peripherals, although Sony does need to prove that forcing a touchpad on the new controller is a good thing (which should be pretty easy)

The question is how patient are we in these situations?

The bundling doesn't annoy me as much as the "you always have to have it connected" bit.

I just hope the touchpad on the DS4 isn't over-used or always gimmicky. I think maybe some indie type devs might find a way to use it in an interesting way. Although, I thought that about the motion sensing/sixaxis thing too. :laugh:

Never said that. But when Anthony posts it seems he's always having to argue with someone about something he has posted.

We are on a discussion forum.  There might be a few lunatics about but most of us are reasonable most of the time.

(Nah, not me, being reasonable sucks. ;) )

I am not talking about unreliable hardware I'm talking about what if you drop it and it brakes, what about if you take it with you on a trip and loose or forget the kinect on your trip, etc.

What if you drop your Xbox and it breaks? What if you go on a trip and forget your control pad? What if, what if, what if?

- The use it for controlling the OS itself, skype etc. (that's why there isn't a headset included)

Not much of an argument either unless you can start up the X1 with voice commands (which could be cool). If you have to use the controller to power the device on, you already have a reliable input device to control the console with.

Not much of an argument either unless you can start up the X1 with voice commands (which could be cool). If you have to use the controller to power the device on, you already have a reliable input device to control the console with.

Yes, you can.  Just say Xbox On.  It was one of the first things they demoed and why they're still debunking all this 'it's going to listen to and upload all your conversations to the NSA' garbage.

Yes, you can.  Just say Xbox On.  It was one of the first things they demoed and why they're still debunking all this 'it's going to listen to and upload all your conversations to the NSA' garbage.

And that's also a option, you can go in and have it not do that if you're that paranoid about things for some reason.

The first Kinect actually worked really well for voice navigation, and it's tracking (if you had the space) made for some entertaining games. I think space will always been an issue, and I think Microsoft is too likely to take every menu-driven voice input and say "let me Bing! that for you", but certainly someone can do something good with it.

Whether or not it's worth the $100 you're forced to pay for it, I'm not sure.

As sad as it sounds, this is one of the things i'm most excited about and probably something that will have me using the XB1 more than the PS4. The ability to sit on my arse, say "Xbox on" and have everything there ready for me.

I could even start up a game with Kinect while i'm trying to hunt for where-ever i last left the pad. lol