FREE Razer Surround Software for Windows (Gamers/Music) was $19.95

O1cFV9d.png 

From the creators of Razer Computer Peripherals; this offer is for a limited time only.

Razer Surround gives gamers the best virtual 7.1 channel surround sound experience with any stereo headphones.

Current generation virtual surround technologies are often inaccurate given that every individual has a unique response to simulated sound stages ? as such, virtual surround sound is often regarded as inferior to discrete surround sound set ups.

Using state-of-the-art technology, the surround sound algorithms powering Razer Surround creates an unbelievably accurate surround sound environment and allows gamers to calibrate positional sound to match their own unique preferences. This level of calibration allows Razer Surround to provide an incredible level of precision in-game, allowing gamers to have the unfair advantage.

I don't really know much about this. I'll just leave it here.

Source

Note: It looks like you need synapses account to use this.

My "review" from the news post about this software.....

The demo is completely dramatized on the site. It doesn't sound anything like that through the headphones.

Having installed the software and tried running through the calibration and stuff, it does do a fairly convincing job.

The front 'speakers' are always clear and sharp. These seem to come from the upper-most point in your ear. So far, so good.

In order to represent the rear, it seems to basically muffle and deaden the sound. This gives it (for some reason) the illusion of coming from a (physically) lower point in your ear. So far, so good, I guess. If you don't have a proper set up.

Also a warning, it does mess up your current sound config a little. So to revert back you have to disable the virtual speakers it has created in your "playback" devices. (Edit: Got that wrong, you just have to disable the virtual setting in the software, not the virtual speakers completely.)

I played a few minutes in 'Payday: The Heist' (great game) and I can see that it would be effective once you've gotten used to it. The over "muffly-bass" effect does dampen a lot of the weapon sounds though. The ricochets and rear bullet hits sound very different to when they come from the proper rear surrounds on my Z5400.

Overall, it's good for some light gaming at night so that you don't disturb people, but let's be honest, it won't replace a real system. (Not that it is meant to.)

I'd certainly recommend it if you don't mind "learning" how to distinguish the sounds also.

I think that rather than creating a horizontal (front-rear) surround, it seems to (in my head anyway) create a vertical (front-upper and front-lower) speaker set up in the ears. This is what might take getting used to.

Cool. Thanks for posting your review. I haven't checked out the software yet myself.