[Help]Restrict Wi-Fi Downloads

Hi Guys,

I have a Broadband connection with 60 GB download/upload limit in my place.The thing is that i am sharing this broadband connection with 3 other guys and problem i am facing now is that one guys keeps on downloading things  and other 3 guys are not able to even use internet once this 60 GB is used up.

As my ISP will slow down speed once this 60 GB is consumed.

My query is that whether i can allocate 15 GB to each of these guys laptop's Mac Address.Is there any software out there which will help me do it..??

Can Router QoS be configured like that.???

Thanks in advance.

Router information; type/model and laptop OS will go a long way in helping  :D

Router information; type/model and laptop OS will go a long way in helping  :D

Router : Beetel 450TC1 [ADSL2 + Router]

All 4 Laptops running Windows 7 OS

ISP : Airtel India

QoS is used to limit or guarantee a specific level of bandwidth, so while QoS would be correct method to limit them say to 15KB or 1Mbps, I don't believe you could set a limit to say at 15MB transferred your locked out  or limited to 1Kbps, etc.

If your looking to limit them to a xfer cap like your isp does to you, would be better to use a proxy.  Or install a client on their machine like net limiter.  http://www.netlimiter.com/

Does your router provide statistics on use?  If so just change your wireless password when they go over the limit..

I am assuming you have some statistics if you know its a specific person doing it - so just turn off his access when he doesn't understand how to play nice with others.

60gb is rather ridiculous even for 1 person, not to mention 3. unfortunately i assume you simply don't have any better options where you are? maybe just make the guy pay for his own line.

I think QoS will do the trick for me as i would limit his speed to say 512 Kbps or something.So that he can browse easily and will not be able to download large files.

Can anyone guide me how to set this QoS in my router.???

"512 Kbps or something.So that he can browse easily"

Yeah that is not going to be browsing easy -- unless he is use to watching paint dry?

So for example I show neowin front page at 561KB -- at your 512kbps it would take 9 seconds to load in just a rough guesstimate if he actually got 512 instantly, etc.

Who says he wont be able to download large files?  Just take him longer ;)

And I don't even think you router support it in the first place..  I can not find a manual for it. Nor anything guides on QoS setup, etc.

In my experience, the only thing that works is first trying and explaining things nicely. If/when that doesn't work, simply deny access either via router settings or by blocking the internet altogether and telling the person to get their own connection.

• Like 1

"512 Kbps or something.So that he can browse easily"

Yeah that is not going to be browsing easy -- unless he is use to watching paint dry?

So for example I show neowin front page at 561KB -- at your 512kbps it would take 9 seconds to load in just a rough guesstimate if he actually got 512 instantly, etc.

Who says he wont be able to download large files?  Just take him longer ;)

And I don't even think you router support it in the first place..  I can not find a manual for it. Nor anything guides on QoS setup, etc.

He is not that kinda of Techie.He just checks his mails,visit some small sites and mostly he spents his time on facebook. That is all.

So i will give him around 1 Mbps for lil bit more comfort browsing.

If he is such a small browser - then how do you know he is using all your bandwidth?  Just tell him to limit his downloads to after hours and so many GB per month..  every single p2p client I have ever seen gives stats on downloads

example

post-14624-0-96471600-1372349115.png