120hz monitor recommendation?

Now that Haswell and the GTX 700 series is out, and I have money, I'm contemplating replacing my entire computer including peripherals with something really ######ing sick. First on the list is a 120hz gaming monitor. They're all TN, 1080p panels (I'm aware of the image quality tradeoff vs high-res IPS/PLS panels) and most are 24", however there are a few 27" and that's what I'm aiming for.

So far the most promising model seems to be the BenQ XL2720T. It's among the known working monitors for the Lightboost hack and I can get it at NCIX.com (in Canada) for 500$ + 25$ for zero dead pixel guarantee. My plan is to feed it with SLI'd GTX 760s. Any thoughts on that specific monitor or alternatives?

So I did more research. This is very new knowledge on the internet so there's not a lot of information to find. A good starting place is this article on TFT Central, updated just a few days ago.

A few monitors support what is called strobing or scanning backlight. This achieves fluid motion with very minimal blur, similar to CRTs. It requires a 3D-vision capable NVIDIA video card. Only a select few monitors support this, and so far the best 27" model seems to be the BenQ XL2702T I was referring to.

There are also some 1440p IPS panels that can be overclocked to 100-140hz, like the QNIX QX2710, which sells for a ridiculously low price (~330$). However, you're dealing with Korean vendors, customs, poor packaging etc. Furthermore these do not support strobing backlight so while the higher refresh rate will provide better fluidity and somewhat reduced motion blur, it will not approach what can be achieved with a strobing backlight. Also, doing 120fps at 1080p is taxing enough on video cards, 1440p is really pushing it. I don't think even SLI'd GTX 760s will be up to the task at high settings in most games, and I don't want to go for 770s or anything more expensive.

So basically I'm trying to decide between a beautiful 1440p panel that's less expensive but shipped from the other side of the world and doesn't support a strobing backlight, or one that does and is shipped from Canada, but is a 1080p TN panel. 

I might just get the BenQ for high-speed gaming and think about adding a high-resolution monitor for other purposes later. Decisions, decisions....

Just placed my order for the BenQ XL2720T for 500$ + 25$ for zero dead pixel guarantee with NCIX Canada, free shipping. Price had gone up to 550$ during the week but luckily I still had the item in my cart at the original price. Can't wait to try Lightboost on that sucker.  :woot:

You can pay for zero dead pixel guarantee now?

Paying extra to guarantee that something you bought works as intended... What the ****.

Let me guess, their excuse is like "Oh, the technology used in these displays may lead to dead pixels, but using our patented X-Y-Z proccess it ensures that you will never get dead pixels  

... Or not!

!"

Manufacturer guarantees is usually 5-10 dead pixels before they'll authorize a replacement, and then you still need to pay to ship the item back. NCIX's zero dead pixel guarantee means if there's any dead pixel they'll cross ship a replacement for free. Dead pixels are very common on monitors, even the highest quality ones.

So I did more research. This is very new knowledge on the internet so there's not a lot of information to find.

hardly, I've bought my first Acer GD245HQ more than 3 years ago

hardly, I've bought my first Acer GD245HQ more than 3 years ago

And you were using Lightboost for zero motion blur 2D gaming at 120fps back then? 

So I got my BenQ XL2720T. At first I didn't see any difference, but my driver had defaulted to 60hz. I enabled 120hz and OMGTHEMOUSECURSORITSALIVE! It's like it's actually a living thing moving on the screen rather than a computer generated animation, I don't know how to describe it otherwise. I can still see individual frames if I move it fast enough, but the impression of fluidity is incredible. And I haven't tried any games at 120fps nor the LightBoost trick yet (I'm at work - I'm supposed to give the impression I'm doing something valuable :P).

I have this next to a Dell 24" IPS panel and while the IPS trumps it in image quality, it feels sooo choppy compared to the 120hz monitor. It's really hard to go back to 60hz even after just a few minutes of using 120hz.

That said, you take the toll on picture quality and spatial resolution. I haven't spent much time trying to calibrate it, but so far so bad. 1080p at this size is not terribly precise either, but in games I don't mind. Perhaps one day we'll have affordable 4K monitors at 120hz with backlight strobing but that day is far away.