Stock Android edition Samsung GS4 and HTC One hit Google Play Store

gs4goog3.jpg

Look, you said you wanted pure Android. You said custom skins were always second best. Well, today's the day to show Samsung and HTC that you're not just all talk. The two best Google-powered phones on the market, Samsung's Galaxy S 4 and HTC's One, are now available directly from the Play Store running an unadulterated version of the OS. The One will set you back $599 and it comes with 32GB of non-expandable storage. Samsung's GS 4 is a bit more expensive at $649, and you get only 16GB of space, but you'll be able to augment that with a microSD card. Both devices support AT&T's and T-Mobile's respective 4G LTE networks and are fully unlocked. Unfortunately, you can't buy either of these if you live outside the US, at least not yet. We have a hands-on with these two mythical creatures up now.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/google-play-edition-samsung-galaxy-s-4-htc-one/

$600 and $650 for a phone? Are they serious?

You do realize that's normal for a unsubsidized high end smartphone? 

The HTC One 32 GB (international version) runs about $700 on Amazon, and the GS4 16GB (international version) runs about $630 on Amazon.

This. Most consumers fail to realize (from my experience working with Verizon) that the phone is not $200. The phone generally is $600-$700 and we take the hit in exchange for you signing a contract. Don't want a contract? Pay the full price.

$600 and $650 for a phone? Are they serious?

Do you know of any good smart phone today that cost less than $600?

Except Nexus 4 which is subsidized and cost around the $400...

The HTC One 32 GB (international version) runs about $700 on Amazon, and the GS4 16GB (international version) runs about $630 on Amazon.

My Nexus 4, unlocked, was only $399. $599 is ridiculous.

$349 is Google taking a hit on the cost of the device while getting them out there. Just like Microsoft did with the first Xbox360. They were down millions every quarter and it wasn't till 2-3years later started making a profit. Sony did the samething for the PS4 also.

I bought my SGS2 (GT-i9100) for $550 and loved it, still works to this day. I was thinking of getting the HTC One Google Edition but backed away since i'm still loving my Nexus 4.

$349 is Google taking a hit on the cost of the device while getting them out there. Just like Microsoft did with the first Xbox360. They were down millions every quarter and it wasn't till 2-3years later started making a profit. Sony did the samething for the PS4 also.

Who cares who's taking the hit. The price for the customer is the only thing that matters.

I don't know why you're so surprised. It is the normal price of high end smartphones. The Nexus 4 is the only phone that is cheap - but it's cheap for a reason. First it isn't targeted for your everyday consumer, it's targeted more for developers. It's not high end anymore, the specs of both GS4/HTC One are far better, and include more features. Just look at the prices of other high end smartphones unsubsidized.

iPhone 5 $649-$849 (16GB-64GB)

HTC One 32GB $700

Samsung GS4 16GB $630

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB $540 

Google isn't being unreasonable here. It's your understanding of high-end smartphone prices in today's market. I also think they're expensive unlocked/unsubsidized, but it's market value. No one is forcing you to buy a phone, let alone unsubsidized. If you don't like it, just don't buy it. 

Who cares who's taking the hit. The price for the customer is the only thing that matters.

Companies need to make money too. They spend a lot of time on R&D, marketing, ...

Do you know of any good smart phone today that cost less than $600?

Except Nexus 4 which is subsidized and cost around the $400...

I don't know why people aways feel the need to get these very latest smartphones. I got an un-subsidized galaxy s2 for ~250 dollars and it works great, android seems perfectly quick and responsive on it. I definitely don't see the need to go out and get an s4 for 600+ dollars for sure...

I don't know why people aways feel the need to get these very latest smartphones. I got an un-subsidized galaxy s2 for ~250 dollars and it works great, android seems perfectly quick and responsive on it. I definitely don't see the need to go out and get an s4 for 600+ dollars for sure...

Status is the only thing I can think of.  Still using my GNEX.  Works great.

Meanwhile on T-Mobile, the S4 is $580 out-of-pocket. Seems like Google Play pricing needs to catch up.

I think you will find that it is locked to T-Mobile and the unlocking fee will be around $70. Much the same price.