Can't Update to Windows 8.1 Preview (Windows Store update)

"If you're running Windows 8 Enterprise or the Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation on your PC, you'll need to download the Windows 8.1 Preview ISO files. " - Microsoft.

Running x64 Win 8 Pro with media here so not relevant to most of us I don't think. So bets thread as to when this would be fixed?

Suppose if I install en-US language pack I guess even then it might not work. Will it? Got this from the FAQ.

• If you're running Windows 8 and have installed a language pack or a language interface pack (LIP), they'll be removed when you install Windows 8.1 Preview.

I'm getting some BS "not enough space" error...the system reqs say it needs at least 20GB for the 64-bit install, whereas I have 40GB on my Windows partition and no less than 25GB free on other ones...I have an 120GB SSD as my Windows partition, there's only so much I can free :( They should update the requirements...

I'm getting some BS "not enough space" error...the system reqs say it needs at least 20GB for the 64-bit install, whereas I have 40GB on my Windows partition and no less than 25GB free on other ones...I have an 120GB SSD as my Windows partition, there's only so much I can free :( They should update the requirements...

20 Gbs total, or 20Gbs + Windows 8?

Maybe you have too many files on your user account and Windows install detects it doesn't have enough space to move them? Weird one.

Actual drive size: 111GB, free space: 40.9...I really fail to see what it wants, downloading the ISO now. I figured it might want to keep temp files on the other drives so I made sure they also all have at least 25GB, still nothing with the store installer...did anyone install it on 20-40GB free space?

Tried to install via store. Installation fails on reboot for "Setting up a few more things", and then reverts back to old version. Looks like the ISO was pulled, as I get a page that says it isn't available yet.

I get error code 0x80070714  when I try to install from the store. When trying to install from ISO it also fails, but with even less info. Nothing in Event Viewer. Weird :(

Worked on my Surface RT. Seems nice, but I want it on my desktop!

I installed the update, but nothing appears in the store afterwards, there isn't a trace of Windows 8.1 anywhere in the Store after I install this thing.

Same. Are you in the UK by any chance? I am, and I feel it may be issue.

No I'm in the US.

Holy ######ing ######, is Microsoft incapable of doing ANYTHING right? What is WRONG with these people?!

• Like 1

UK here something seriously wrong what I don't get is why they just didn't push it as an optional windows update after all it's got a metro version. Why this big deal over fundamental OS updates over the store it isn't like 8.1 is an app.

Oh by the way, if you think you can get an answer over at the Microsoft Community section, think again, they're basically just copying and pasting the generic post below, and then marking them as answered, and then complaining that there are 15 or so more identical questions that need "answered" too. Seriously, ****ing infuriating.

This has nothing to do with Windows Update functionality.

If you're having problems downloading Win8.1 Release Preview, post here instead:

If you're having problems installing or using Win8.1 Release Preview, post here instead:

FYI, there is no official support for Win8.1 Release Preview or any other beta software. If you encounter a problem you cannot resolve on your own, your only recourse will be a clean install of Win8 - so it's best NOT to install Win8.1 Release Preview on a "production" (or your only) Win8 computer!

1. I am in the US.

2. My Asus G75VX gaming laptop comes with Windows 8 Preinstalled.

3. I cannot install Windows 8.1 Preview VIA store or via ISO i get error after download/ install and it reverts back to old OS!

4. I upgraded Nvidia drivers to win 8.1 support, still same ****** problem

Don't know if it helps but I am running the x64 version of Windows 8 (en-us) with Media Center add on pack and I was able to upgrade to 8.1 just fine. Maybe download the en-us version (change region first) and after the upgrade completes, simply change the region back to en-gb?

In Region (Control Panel) I have format English (United States) and location as The Netherlands.

Some people have a driver problem, it could be a intel thing with the IGP or it could be chipset related.  They have talked about drivers needing to be updated by OEMs before you can install 8.1 and that they're working on this as quick as they can.

For others it could be a weird language pack issue as well, I don't know.  I'm going to play it safe and wait for the public ISOs and install it in vbox to mess around.  Once I get a driver update for my Samsung ativ smart pc 500t I'll install it natively on that as well.  Just have to wait a bit longer for the ISOs.

I have an Asus Laptop with an I5 Intel HD so pretty generic system and I have that same error as in the blue picture it reverted me back to Windows 8 x64. I tried running the installer from the store twice ugg.

Not sure what the deal is, I'm running the en-US version, I was able to install the update just fine, I go into the Windows Store annnnnd nothing, no update, or trace of Windows 8.1.

Don't know if it helps but I am running the x64 version of Windows 8 (en-us) with Media Center add on pack and I was able to upgrade to 8.1 just fine. Maybe download the en-us version (change region first) and after the upgrade completes, simply change the region back to en-gb?

In Region (Control Panel) I have format English (United States) and location as The Netherlands.

trying this now, changed all languages to United Stated and rebooted and i'm not installing an en-us language pack from Windows Update, not sure if it'll work though.

Made no difference, still have the issue

Edited by Robbie Ride

I'm on Windows 8(en-us) with Media Center so I don't know that that's the problem because I have that same error with the blue screen that was posted earlier.

What I find incredibly mind boggling is why the hell isn't EN-GB supported? What's so different between the two versions of English that they feel the need to exclude the UK?

Doesn't the Windows 8.1 installer spit out any debug files or anything to see where it failed I mean WTF? It makes no sense to me that it's just like "oh btw your install failed and we reverted back to Windows 8 sucks to be you good luck trying to figure out what the heck went wrong."