Can't Update to Windows 8.1 Preview (Windows Store update)

But theyre useless for RT, Uh online installers are such a massive PITA :angry: 

Has anyone managed to get a UK Surface RT up to 8.1 ? Cant believe they bungled this update so bad.

Has anyone managed to get a UK Surface RT up to 8.1 ? Cant believe they bungled this update so bad.

Just finished the update on mine, using the "Install the US language, and do a quick registry edit" method posted earlier in the thread. Worked fine, no problems at all.

... well, it is a preview release.

... well, it is a preview release.

Yes but you realise its not a new OS its the modern equal to a service pack beta or has everyone forgotten XP SP2 added features, get it right Microsoft yikes they name it a preview and everyone forgives them and I love the company. Don't suppose I can use the ISO in any way to do an upgrade really don't want to reformat?

Finally managed to get it installed. Getting blinded by the brightness on this laptop though which is now no longer adjustable. Need the Nvidia drivers I think.

Are there issues if the US language is set via the registry hack, especially when it comes to updating to the final?

My base language is currently EN-GB.

is the store being hammered at the moment or something had a little mess up with the install for the store update got it back and running got the pop up for the store to download update, then when i click the picture and click install I get a error saying it isnt available right now anyone else getting this?

everytime i try to download from the store it loads for about 3/4 of the file and then stops. the progress bar resets to zero and the download just sits there and does nothing. i tried it several times without luck, it always stops at roughly the same spot. any ideas?

tried to download with the new us lang and the reg edit same error :( must be the store about to give up to be honest

ok i did the wsreset and its letting me download the dl bar isnt filling up quick or much so far but its a start

is the store being hammered at the moment or something had a little mess up with the install for the store update got it back and running got the pop up for the store to download update, then when i click the picture and click install I get a error saying it isnt available right now anyone else getting this?

Yep got this.

Sorry to reply to my own post has anyone had trouble who has used the reg hack/ managed to install the update file but NOT been able to install 8.1 had problems accessing their store tonight? Wondering if I should change my OS base language back to EN UK anyone got the code or a list of them?

PS update to any UKers http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/preview-download note the EN GB url looks like our only option is ISO? Seems to be redirecting me if I click the email Microsoft only just sent me to tell me about the preview.

If you have a VL (Volume) version OTHER than Enterprise and are failing to update via the Store, try updating via the ISO.  Not one attempt at updating via the Store worked (8 x64 Pro VL) - however, both ISO-based updates worked.

Also, I found out where some Office 2013 x64 VL installs fail - if you are installing from the rollup that includes the JUNE 2013 updates, it will invariably fail in the bootstrapper (problems in the install of the Proofing Tools) - however, going one month back (MAY 2013) works just fine.  This ONLY happens if you install Office 2013 *after* updating to the 8.1 Preview, though.

So far, I have no (as in none whatever) major (and few other) application issues.  IE11 is decidedly quicker all around (and it's better-behaved on Flash-heavy pages, even in Facebook).  My only issues with IE1`1 and Facebook involve three browser-based games hosted on Facebook (all from the same publisher - Plarium).  I may finally be able to stop playing Musical Browsers and just use IE11 (desktop) for everything.

When attempt to upgrade from ISO on my Windows 8 Pro PC, it offers only two options: (1) Keep personal files only and (2) Keep nothing. Will it wipe out all my desktop applications and everything outside the Users folder if I go with "Keep personal files only"?

Thank you.

When attempt to upgrade from ISO on my Windows 8 Pro PC, it offers only two options: (1) Keep personal files only and (2) Keep nothing. Will it wipe out all my desktop applications and everything outside the Users folder if I go with "Keep personal files only"?

Thank you.

Ditto anyone know if you can keep NON STORE applications if you upgrade via the ISO? Think I might just end up dual booting.... kind of sucks Microsoft all this trouble....

Ditto anyone know if you can keep NON STORE applications if you upgrade via the ISO? Think I might just end up dual booting.... kind of sucks Microsoft all this trouble....

You can through the ISO. It will give you the option to Keep files and apps. I just updated through the ISO. It took a while and it's tough fighting the urge to do a clean install :P I only plan on wiping this out when the final comes out.

Yes, you can - in fact, you should be able to keep everyting (I did in both upgrade runs).  Depending on what happens, I will likely be doing yet another runthrough over the next two weeks due to hardware changes.

You can through the ISO. It will give you the option to Keep files and apps. I just updated through the ISO. It took a while and it's tough fighting the urge to do a clean install :p I only plan on wiping this out when the final comes out.

Thank you likewise I love wiping but only for RTM/ new major OS updates.

Yes, you can - in fact, you should be able to keep everyting (I did in both upgrade runs).  Depending on what happens, I will likely be doing yet another runthrough over the next two weeks due to hardware changes.

Thanks.

Done upgrade from ISO. It wiped out all my desktop applications but I keep all my files though. Upgrade process completed very smoothly. And my PC is extremely fast and stable.

Done upgrade from ISO. It wiped out all my desktop applications but I keep all my files though. Upgrade process completed very smoothly. And my PC is extremely fast and stable.

What I thought upgrade was suppose to keep desktop applications? I was just about to upgrade my system god I've got like 80 or more application I need,

What I thought upgrade was suppose to keep desktop applications? I was just about to upgrade my system god I've got like 80 or more application I need,

You will have 3 options:

- Keep files and apps (yes, this include desktop applications and this is what I chose)

- Keep files only

- Wipe out everything

Just read carefully and make sure that you choose the option that suits you.

How did you wind up losing your desktop applications?  I kept all of mine (I did a minimus install of Origin due to a single game - the SimCity reboot - having upgrade issues being installed after upgrading to 8.1; therefore, I did the upgrade beforehand).  Firefox won't likely be reinstalled except in extremis - IE11 (desktop) is that solid performancewise.  I'm going with VS 2013 (also in Preview) - therefore no VS 2012.  No issues with Steam (which will be reinstalled last).  I mentioned Office 2013 in a different thread.

You will have 3 options:

- Keep files and apps (yes, this include desktop applications and this is what I chose)

- Keep files only

- Wipe out everything

Odd I went to burn the ISO booted from the DVD and it told me I had to reboot into windows to do an upgrade fine, but I only have two options Keep personal files only and Nothing.

You will have 3 options:

- Keep files only

- Wipe out everything

You should try the ISO. It offers only 2 options, keep files only and keep nothing.