Photos app in Windows 8.1 Broken?

Has anyone had any problems with the Photos (modern) app since installing the Windows 8.1 preview?

It worked fine the first couple of times I launched it but has since stopped working. Now when it opens I simply see an empty Pictures folder on "This PC" but don't actually see any of the content in the folder. There is no drop-down to select a different folder (SkyDrive, Windows Phone, etc.) either... I've attached a screenshot for reference.

The only thing I did between the time it was working and now is uninstall the SkyDrive desktop client which was installed prior to the 8.1 upgrade, and install Windows updates (and app updates, but I don't think Photos was one of them). Anyone see something similar?

I'm installing on another machine now to see if I can reproduce it.

post-39384-0-70721800-1372292391.png

This app always has had the most problems. I don't understand.

Hopefully the removal of skydrive/facebook pictures is temporary. Can't even see homegroup at the moment. Yikes.

This app always has had the most problems. I don't understand.

Hopefully the removal of skydrive/facebook pictures is temporary. Can't even see homegroup at the moment. Yikes.

Maybe it's tied to a skydrive/facebook api glitch that also stops it from looking up local files?  Well, on the bright side, this is why we have previews/betas. 

Maybe it's tied to a skydrive/facebook api glitch that also stops it from looking up local files?  Well, on the bright side, this is why we have previews/betas. 

Ha, yeah I guess that's true. I just thought it was odd that it was working at first. The fact that it was broken when I did the upgrade on my other machine, and on a clean install just made it more interesting.

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem and couldn't find an answer anywhere.  Then I ran across something on the internet that mentioned it might be a problem with the default libraries.  This is what I did to fix it.

Open windows explorer and click on View, then Navigation Pane and select Show Libraries.

When I clicked on the Pictures Library I got an error.  I deleted the pictures library and then right clicked and selected New, Library.  Name it 'Pictures'. Double click the folder and then click on 'Include a Folder'.  Select your pictures folder for your user account and that should fix it.

Hope that helped.

For 8.1 users that find this thread...

The Pictures App uses SkyDrive and the Pictures Library.  If either of these are busted (like in your personal profile), it can't work as it doesn't have permission outside of the Photos area assigned by the OS. I have seen some users get a URL path for their Picture Libraries because of how they move it in an earlier version of Windows.  Check your Libraries and the 'Defaults' on all your Libraries, so they are pointing to the correct location.

Windows 8.1 Update replaces the SkyDrive Desktop App automatically, you should NOT be uninstalling it.

If you don't want to use the features of SkyDrive, don't put anything in the folders or disable it in the group policy - Bing/Google it.

Side Notes:

The SkyDrive App in Windows 8.1 is a semi-full file manager, it is not limited to just SkyDrive locations and can be used anywhere on your PC. browse your entire PC and use its tools.  Click the SkyDrive title at the top and Select 'This PC'.

While your Pictures Library App isn't working, use the SkyDrive App to manually get to your Picture Folder inside the Modern UI.

(If fixing your Libraries doesn't work, check your security settings specific to your login/MS Account in the Users folder.  Ensure the OS can access all locations identified in the list of 'Libraries'.