Which monitor is better

I have two LCD monitors, one is a 2010 21.5" Samsung Syncmaster EX2220 and the other is a 2006 24" Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP. Although the 24" inch Dell monitor would obviously be better because its bigger, the Samsung has more richer colors and better response time.  The Dell monitor also has lots of inputs like composite, component, svideo, SD card/CF flash readers but the Samsung doesn't. The Dell monitor is lit by florescent and the Samsung is lit by LED.  Which do you think I should use?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS22CLUSFY/ZA-specs#

http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/snp/UltraSharp%202407WFP_EN.pdf

Depends on your usage...Office work, coding web browsing the Dell (ultrasharps are lovely for this)

Gaming and movies the Samsung for the richer colours and faster response time. 

I'll vote for the Samsung out of the 2, partly because I haven't tried any of the Dell monitors yet

(I do get asked to test and if possible, repair sammy's often <most of the time there are 3 capacitors that need replacing on the power board> but not always)

I am not sure I understand the question (I mean I do... but...) if you have both monitors, why not plug them in one at a time, or at the same time if your graphics card supports it, look at them both in action, and decide which you prefer?

Otherwise I would say I have always had decent luck with Dell monitors.  Also 6MS GtoG isn't bad.  But unless you are a designer who needs truer colors I think monitors are a very subjective choice.  I prefer BenQ's myself.

In this case the Dell one. It's a proper IPS panel (or PVA if you're unlucky) and it's most certainly better than the Samsung thing.

I am not sure I understand the question (I mean I do... but...) if you have both monitors, why not plug them in one at a time, or at the same time if your graphics card supports it, look at them both in action, and decide which you prefer?

Otherwise I would say I have always had decent luck with Dell monitors.  Also 6MS GtoG isn't bad.  But unless you are a designer who needs truer colors I think monitors are a very subjective choice.  I prefer BenQ's myself.

I think he meant he has narrowed it down to these two as a buying choice, not that he physically had them...else yeh just use both :) dual screen!!

In this case the Dell one. It's a proper IPS panel (or PVA if you're unlucky) and it's most certainly better than the Samsung thing.

Yeah if the Dell is an IPS pannel which an ultrasharp should be then that's a big plus point for it.

Thanks for the answers, but this is a tricky one to decide. I like my Samsung monitor because its sharper, has better picture and the colors are crisper. The Dell one is bigger, but is older and has many more features. I do have both monitors physically  and I have very limited space on my desk.

The Samsung monitor has:

21.5" screen

1920x1080 resolution

5ms response rate

1,000:1 contrast

16:9 aspect ratio

LED back lit

Has VGA and DVI components

The Dell is:

24" Screen

1920x1200 Resolution

16:10 aspect ratio

6ms response rate

1000:1 contrast ratio

Fluorescent back lit

Has component, composite, SVideo, VGA, DVI, and 2 usb ports & card readers.

Sounds like you really like the way the Samsung looks/performs.  I'd go with that.  Size is nice, but if you don't NEED the extra features and the image is inferior... go with the better image.

...Also... fluorescent lighting releases slightly more radiation than LED lighting, I believe.  If you worry about such things.

My mom claims that my grandfather (he was a scientist, one of his projects was the mercury capsule heat shield, for example) brought home x-ray film and held it behind his hand, in front of the TV (obviously an OLD TV, ages ago as he died decades ago) and it generated an x-ray image of his hand.  :)

Thanks for the answers, but this is a tricky one to decide. I like my Samsung monitor because its sharper, has better picture and the colors are crisper. The Dell one is bigger, but is older and has many more features. I do have both monitors physically  and I have very limited space on my desk.

Unless the fluorescent backlight in the Dell has degraded significantly, that observation is just wrong. The Dell is superior in every way aside from the backlight. There's simply no comparison between a professional IPS monitor and a cheap TN piece of generic crap.

Sounds like you really like the way the Samsung looks/performs.  I'd go with that.  Size is nice, but if you don't NEED the extra features and the image is inferior... go with the better image.

...Also... fluorescent lighting releases slightly more radiation than LED lighting, I believe.  If you worry about such things.

My mom claims that my grandfather (he was a scientist, one of his projects was the mercury capsule heat shield, for example) brought home x-ray film and held it behind his hand, in front of the TV (obviously an OLD TV, ages ago as he died decades ago) and it generated an x-ray image of his hand.   :)

not necessarily, but in this case, 200cd/m2 more radiation.

your old TV was CRT, which works literally by hurling electrons at a phosphor layer which creates x-ray as a by-product.

• Like 2

Unless the fluorescent backlight in the Dell has degraded significantly, that observation is just wrong. The Dell is superior in every way aside from the backlight. There's simply no comparison between a professional IPS monitor and a cheap TN piece of generic crap.

not necessarily, but in this case, 200cd/m2 more radiation.

your old TV was CRT, which works literally by hurling electrons at a phosphor layer which creates x-ray as a by-product.

I like to game,watch videos and do many other things. The colors on my samsung look very sharp and the darks are very dark.  Why do you so vehemently insist the dell is better? I will have to just compare the two.  Samsung does make very good displays.

You'll have to play with the settings on the Dell a little, but there is no doubt that it's better than the Samsung monitor really. It's an IPS panel, which by itself means that the colour reproduction is more accurate and the viewing angles are a lot higher.

You'll have to play with the settings on the Dell a little, but there is no doubt that it's better than the Samsung monitor really. It's an IPS panel, which by itself means that the colour reproduction is more accurate and the viewing angles are a lot higher.

Exactly, just becasuse something is more vivid doesn't necessarily make it better, colour accuracy is really the goal of displays and the Dell's IPS pannel will give that, its the same deal with mobile displays, a lot of people like the displays on Samsung phones (AMOLED) these are very vivid and eyecatching, so people like the look of them when compared side by side with something like an iPhone, However the iPhone like the Dell focuses more on accurately representing the colour spectrum so yes the image may look slightly duller to your eye but it'll be more accurate and as the content author intended.

Having said that, the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" applies here.

In the end specs are just specs, the Dell maybe better on paper, but if you prefer the vivid colours go for the Samsung....choose the one you are happy to spend all day looking at, not necessarily the one with the best specs.

You titled the thread which is better, the Dell on paper is, but none of us can see the monitors, so as far as the question at the end of the OP, which should I use..only you can decide.