Windows 8.1 Preview - no network access

So, I've installed the Windows 8.1 Preview in a virtual machine in VMware, and no matter what I do, it point blank
refuses to go online. I set the Network Adapter in the VM settings as NAT so it can share the host system's IP
address ... No network access. So, I set it as "Bridged: Connect directly to the physical network" and give the
network adapter settings in Windows it's own IP address (192.168.1.38). I should point out the my network is
set without DHCP enabled, so each device added to the network gets it's own manual IP settings.

I try running the Windows Network Diagnostics troubleshooter, which in 99% of cases is completely and utterly
flaming useless, as it very rarely fixes any network issues. The troubleshooter tells me "The default gateway is
not available: Not fixed.". This tells me there's a problem with the router, which in most other cases wouldn't
surprise since it's a Thomson/Technicolor branded piece of crap. Ironically, I've had no problems in the last
couple of months with this current router as it's from a different ISP from my last one.

FWIW ... I rebooted both the Thomson/Technicolor Plusnet router as well as the BT Openreach FTTC modem,
even though none of my other networked devices are having any network connection issues at the moment.
This made no difference at all. The VM is still refusing to connect to the network whatever I try.

Any ideas? An operating system without network access is an effectively dead operating system.

Hi,

I encounter a similar problem: I just installed the win 8.1 preview with all defaults, in a hyper-V VM on windows 8, and it cannot connect to network.

Network adapter is there, and shows a self assigned apipa address (169.xxxx address), symptom that it did not receive one.

When I explicitly set ip address of win81, I can ping this address from inside win81, but not from the host, and from inside win81 I cannot ping the host

* ip addresses are in same subnet

* network adapter is "working normally", as of device manager

* other guests in same host do ping in both direction (windows 8 host, windows 8, windows 2012 and windows 2008R2 guests)

any idea?

I feel disappointed that the MS hyper-V environment would not run its new guest...

Pierre

I have the opposite problem - I have installed the preview in 3 different VM's - 1 with a M$ account, 1 with a local account and 1 with the Administrator enabled.

When I boot and log in the internet is "on" for the browsers but when I try to access shared folders, resources and certain tasks that require to be online, I get the message that I am not connected to the internet!!! even the help menus that pop up tell me that I have no internet connection! but I can access the internet through IE11 and Firefox. Also Windows Update tells me it can't connect to the internet!???

To resolve the issue I have to log out and log back in to be "online" for shared folders, resources etc...

weird bug - did not change anything in the security or network adapter settings.

I have the opposite problem - I have installed the preview in 3 different VM's - 1 with a MS account, 1 with a local account and 1 with the Administrator enabled.

When I boot and log in the internet is "on" for the browsers but when I try to access shared folders, resources and certain tasks that require to be online, I get the message that I am not connected to the internet!!! even the help menus that pop up tell me that I have no internet connection! but I can access the internet through IE11 and Firefox. Also Windows Update tells me it can't connect to the internet!???

To resolve the issue I have to log out and log back in to be "online" for shared folders, resources etc...

weird bug - did not change anything in the security or network adapter settings.

Same bug here. Even though I can connect and browse just fine, the connection icon usually shows a red x indicating that there is no internet connectivity. It's never like that when I first sign on, but always shows up after I've been using the PC for a while.

Wow ... all these people rushing to help resolve this problem. I'm really overwhelmed. Much appreciated.

:rolleyes:

You're welcome

• Like 3

Did you install Windows 8 first, then do an upgrade?

Nope ... a fresh install from an ISO file, not the upgrade path from Windows 8 via the Windows Store.

Nope ... a fresh install from an ISO file, not the upgrade path from Windows 8 via the Windows Store.

With Hyper-V, make sure your VM is connected to the right virtual switch, as it isn't by default.  You can have multiple virtual switches as well - one per adapter.

VirtualBox - make sure you use the same adapter settings as Windows 8.0, in addition to applying the fix referred to elsewhere.

I had the same issue earlier and manage to find the culprit.Do you have VirtualBox or any other virtual machine emulator installed? Right after I upgraded, I started being unable to connect to any internet via ethernet or WIFI. After digging around and researching it, I found the problem to be the filters that virtualbox was adding to the networks. Once I disabled them from the network properties, I instantly connected. Then I just continued to uninstall virtualbox and havent had any more problems at all. Strange considering it working perfect in windows 8.0. I dont know if that is everyones issue here but that was what caused mine.

Ok I registered just to share my solution after coming across this thread googling with the same problem.

What Happened-

I installed the Windows 8.1 Preview gui

Symptoms-

- I could not ping or connect to any of my machines on my home network or my virtualbox machines.

- Virtualbox drivers in device manager had yellow exclamation marks and could not be removed or updated.

My Solution-

To get network connectivity back it appeared the 8.1 install changed firewall and homegroup settings so my home network was now currently 'Public'. To change this back I went to Network Sharing center and turn on my Homegroup and set it back to private network. After this was done my other machines were able to ping my Windows 8 machine again.

To fix the Virtualbox errors I uninstalled it completely. To get rid of the stuck Virtualbox entries in Device Manager you need to select them then select to Update Driver, Browse drive then select 'Let me pick from a list of drivers n my computer...". Choose any driver listed, the point here is it attaches a driver to this entry so it can be removed cleanly. Once the driver is attached the name will change from Virtualbox ethernet.. etc to the name of the Device you selected from the driver list. Simply now right click it in Device manager and select uninstall to get rid of it. Reinstall virtualbox and restart.

My Citrix Reciever also spazed out after the Windows 8.1 preview install, I haven't got back round to reinstalling that yet but it should be fine.

I did a fresh install of 8.1 just for kicks.  Same issue still exists.  Red x over the connection icon in the system tray.  It's also there in the Settings Panel.  But my internet connection is fine and I can browse, etc on both my physical box and my Hyper-V machines.  I do have the correct virtual switch selected for each VM.

• 2 months later...

Most likely this is due to the VMware bridge protocol being missing from your Main NIC.

Go into the properties of your host network card. check the list of services. You should see VMware Bridge Protocol selected. If not add it.

Then you should be good to go.

Also explained here

http://blog.unixwiz.net/2010/09/vmware-workstation-there-are-no-un-bridged-host-network-adapters.html