Poll: Windows 8.1 Preview Experience (How do you like it?)

Anyone notice that using the Modern IE version, if you have youtube in one tab, and switch to another, it will stop buffering the video which causes it to pause quite frequently?

Youtube is working fine for me :)

Can anyone confirm that http://mega.co.nz doesn't load in IE11?

Loads fine on my PC in chrome but refuses to load at all in IE11.

Also, quotes are broken on the forum with IE11 :(

Yeah it's a little annoying :p

Could you try and load mega.co.nz for me please? It just hangs the tab or it just doesn't load.

Till Start screen is out there, Must avoid Windows 8... Damn you MS!! Listen and bring back Start Menu!!!!!!!!!!!!

I(PC User) don't need that silly start screen/metro with those stupid tablet apps on my PC.

Yeah it's a little annoying :p

Could you try and load mega.co.nz for me please? It just hangs the tab or it just doesn't load.

Doesn't seem to be working, doesn't load.  Wonder why?

anyone having a problem with search the start screen, it works for the first search but no additional one after that until I log out....trying to figure out what's causing it at the moment....

anyone having a problem with search the start screen, it works for the first search but no additional one after that until I log out....trying to figure out what's causing it at the moment....

It works fine for me.  I hit start and start typing for a app, it shows it.  I then exit out and go back and type again and it works.

*edit* I also just did the typical hit start, type first few letters of app, hit enter, hit start, type again and hit enter and it worked without issue.

It works fine for me.  I hit start and start typing for a app, it shows it.  I then exit out and go back and type again and it works.

*edit* I also just did the typical hit start, type first few letters of app, hit enter, hit start, type again and hit enter and it worked without issue.

no **** ha, i know how to seach haha.. .my problem is that's its broken :p, it used to work so it's either and "app" or application that i've installed that isn't compatible, just wondering if anyone else is having this issue...

oh on a side note desktop search works fine, just start search...

no **** ha, i know how to seach haha.. .my problem is that's its broken :p, it used to work so it's either and "app" or application that i've installed that isn't compatible, just wondering if anyone else is having this issue...

Just a guess, maybe a search setting is off of some sort?  I don't see how a installed app could mess with it.  Maybe indexing is off?

Just a guess, maybe a search setting is off of some sort?  I don't see how a installed app could mess with it.  Maybe indexing is off?

nah indexing is working, plus it wouldn;t explain how it works for the first search but not the additional ones...

also notice that when I select all apps arrow down at the bottom, the search works fine, so it's the first screen that has the problem...

Till Start screen is out there, Must avoid Windows 8... Damn you MS!! Listen and bring back Start Menu!!!!!!!!!!!!

I(PC User) don't need that silly start screen/metro with those stupid tablet apps on my PC.

They're not going to. The live tiles are part of their branding now, and that's ignoring all the technical problems they had adapting the menu to new Windows 8 features.

Now I have a new issue :(

I have XBMC set up to show on my second screen in Fullscreen.

It loads up in fullscreen on my second screen but spans halfway across my first screen and leaves a huge black bar down the first screen :/

--EDIT-- Fixed it... sort of :/

Installation went great. I enjoy the new features. The only thing is, I had to reinstall a few programs like PerfectDisk, j.river media center, an encoder, my Ceton InfiniTV app/drivers, as-well-as my HP printer/scanner. Digital Cable Advisor doesn't work in Media Center. IE11 is a little glitchy. I get screen flicker only in YouTube on IE11. Also I cannot turn off the Charms Bar (Hot Corners). I check the boxes to disable but nothing happens. Graphics can be jerky at times.

Why did u need to reinstall perfectdisk? Mine works fine

Installation: 2/5

Well, I did the upgrade through the ISO since the 'Store method' keeps on getting errors (to be fair, I've been getting update errors on all my Store apps for weeks now). The upgrade took 2 hours and 1 blue screen :p but it's fine and working well after that.

Compatibility: 4.5/5
I got spoiled with this tiny application called "7+ Taskbar Tweaker" which allows me to have "icon only" on some of the applications on the taskbar and for select applications to not combine (and several other features as well like re-arranging the thumbnail previews). The current version is broken in 8.1 but that's about it. Also, Foxit Reader's scrollbar looks ugly in 8.1 but functionality isn't affected.

Features: 3/5
I really thought they'd support those large tiles in the Calendar app. It'll be great to see more future events from the tile rather than just 1. I love those tiny tiles because apps like Store, Mail, and others that are just meant to notify, as well as desktop apps, can turn into smaller files. I love the way the desktop application tiles are displayed. now (background color). Eye-candy-wise, definitely an improvement. The ability to customize multiple tiles at once is a huge plus as well.

For the desktop, I hope that, since they'd give us an option to disable either or both the upper and bottom right hot corners. The start button is just wasted space for me since I use the keyboard most of the time but it's not really a big deal. Hurray for including Shutdown options on the Win+X menu. Can we re-arrange it? I always hibernate so I'd want to it to be the first option. Then again, I already got used to the "Win+I, down down..." keys

I love and hate what they want to do with SkyDrive. I love that they are going to closely integrate it. I hate that the only use of SkyDrive for me is for archiving old files which means I don't need it to be placed on the nav bar. I hope that they'd give us the option to hide some of the folders from This PC. I may not be in the majority but I find the Libraries useful so I'd want in right below the Favorites.

It's 3 out of 5 because most of the updates, at least on my usage, is for improving the look and feel. I'm still adjusting on the "new" File Explorer but I'll get used to it.

If you have Neowin Forums pinned to your Start Screen, I just noticed the tile supports the Wide and Large tile sizes.

post-420821-0-39731100-1372453139.png

Still just as ****ty. Who decided it was a good idea to automatically clutter the hell out of the start screen when you install programs? Installing VS takes up an entire screen just itself.

Install was horribly slow. Took 3 restarts. Wouldn't install with Microsoft SQL Server installed.

Well the only issue so far are the Bluetooth drivers, the odd thing is that it was working after the update, but now suddenly stopped working and I can't uninstall/install the drivers because the setup of the drivers say that the platform is not compatible

Still just as ****ty. Who decided it was a good idea to automatically clutter the hell out of the start screen when you install programs? Installing VS takes up an entire screen just itself.

Install was horribly slow. Took 3 restarts. Wouldn't install with Microsoft SQL Server installed.

Really? Because 8.1 specifically doesn't add apps to the screen and you now have to manually add them....there must be something wrong....

• Like 2

Apps do not pin to Start automatically anymore in 8.1

Which version of SQL Server?  I had no problems with the first runthrough (with SQL Server 2012 installed).

My nitpick is that some parts of System Center 2012R2 don't seen to care for SQL Server 2014 CTP1 - one of them (Configuration Manager) went and installed SQL Server 2008.

Quite honestly, I'd love to be able standardize on a single version of SQL Server if I am going to use SQL at all.

Apps should see a boost in performance from the start but once they get recompiled and updated to support 8.1 and not just 8.0 we'll see a even bigger boost in performance. 

True.  For the most part, IE11 (desktop) can be my default browser - the only reason I keep Firefox around *now* is for specific sites or pages that have issues with IE11 - and there are, shockingly, darn few.

Has anyone noticed performance improvements in Flash-heavy sites with IE11?  It is now outrunning Firefox 22 - which is something new in and of itself, as IE10 had issues with Flash-heavy pages (especially in Facebook) compared to Firefox 21 or Waterfox 18.

Seems that they "fixed" the part where you can have a taskbar of any color while keeping the window borders white. Setting the EnableWindowColorization to 0 does not change anything.