Photo

Poll: Windows 8.1 Preview Experience (How do you like it?)

win 8.1 preview

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder?

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 mygeotecnik

mygeotecnik

Neowinian

Posted 04 July 2013 - 00:53

In general I liked it. Of course there are some bugs and annoyances, like the fake start button and the lack of consecrated features, but after some customization it's fair.

:rolleyes:

#182 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:48

How is the Start Button fake? It does what it was designed to do... Take you to Start.

#183 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 July 2013 - 14:33

Install was very fast, performance seems to be great, and so far all my drivers have worked. Compatibility is fine apart from Avast (just a matter of waiting for an updated version that works), and Advanced Uninstaller pro which thought it was running in compatibility mode for some reason.

Features: Still not a lover of the start screen, seems much the same as Windows 8 on the desktop side

#184 xankazo

xankazo

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 06 July 2013 - 16:31

My biggest complain is when entering the Start Screen the "cursor" repositions itself to the first Tile (like a micro-second after opening) when moving around with the keyboard. It makes me open the wrong apps.

#185 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 06 July 2013 - 16:55

My biggest complain is when entering the Start Screen the "cursor" repositions itself to the first Tile (like a micro-second after opening) when moving around with the keyboard. It makes me open the wrong apps.

Where would it default to though?  Or is the problem the small delay it has in doing so?   I think it's expected behavior that it goes to the first tile.  Of course when you're on KB hitting winkey and just typing what you want to open still works best.

#186 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 06 July 2013 - 18:44

I have a WIndows.Old folder from when I installed 8.1 which I'm trying to delete, but I get an error: 

The files name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.

The file name(s) go something like 0-Namespace-https=$$next-services.apps.miscrosoft.com$browse$6.2.9200-1,$............ they are really long file names.

Anyone know how to get rid of these? I can't rename them or anything, the rename option etc isn't available for some reason.

#187 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 06 July 2013 - 18:46

I have a WIndows.Old folder from when I installed 8.1 which I'm trying to delete, but I get an error: 

The files name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.

The file name(s) go something like 0-Namespace-https=$$next-services.apps.miscrosoft.com$browse$6.2.9200-1,$............ they are really long file names.

Anyone know how to get rid of these? I can't rename them or anything, the rename option etc isn't available for some reason.

Disk Cleanup can get rid of the win.old folder.  I know the manual way and still use it too, but that's the easy way.

#188 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 July 2013 - 20:07

On a more annoying note, Media Centre still seems to take an age to start (sometimes I have to press the button 2 or 3 times to make it launch, and no my remote is not malfunctioning) and sometimes seems unresponsive to button presses which is incredibly irritating.

#189 xankazo

xankazo

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 06 July 2013 - 20:57

Where would it default to though?  Or is the problem the small delay it has in doing so?   I think it's expected behavior that it goes to the first tile.  Of course when you're on KB hitting winkey and just typing what you want to open still works best.

It should default to the first tile, but there's a split second lag. For example, if I want to open the third tile to the left on the Start Screen: I press WinKey, then the left key twice and then press enter. All done very fast, (the way I've been perfectly it on Windows 8) but on W8.1, before pressing enter the cursor moves back to the first Tile.

I don't know if you get me, English isn't my first language. 

#190 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 July 2013 - 21:08

It should default to the first tile, but there's a split second lag. For example, if I want to open the third tile to the left on the Start Screen: I press WinKey, then the left key twice and then press enter. All done very fast, (the way I've been perfectly it on Windows 8) but on W8.1, before pressing enter the cursor moves back to the first Tile.

I don't know if you get me, English isn't my first language. 

No, I understand, the problem is with the delay.  I never noticed it but I'm running 8.1 in a VM using virtual box and the performance on it's own isn't that great in the end.  

#191 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 06 July 2013 - 21:21

Disk Cleanup can get rid of the win.old folder.  I know the manual way and still use it too, but that's the easy way.

Chhers, Randomevent, worked a treat, one function of Windows that I'd totally forgotten about there.

#192 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:01

Ever since I've upgraded I've been getting DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs. Has anyone else received this? I'm guessing it either has to do with the Radeon preview drivers or Bitdefender 2014.

#193 IanHead

IanHead

Neowinian

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:17

Seems that they "fixed" the part where you can have a taskbar of any color while keeping the window borders white. Setting the EnableWindowColorization to 0 does not change anything.

I've just noticed this too and it's annoying the hell out of me. Restarting DWM after changing the value to 0 resets it back to 1 now. Is a black taskbar and white window borders too much to ask, Msft? Y u hatin?

Brilliant set of new features and tweaks though, otherwise. It's been more or less solid as rock for me too, except for a single BSOD when I was futzing about with my graphics drivers.

#194 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:18

I've asked this a few times but has anyone noticed if Intel has updated it's Atom drivers/firmware yet?   No way to test the preview on my Ativ smart pc 500T till that gets worked out.  But at this rate I might as well just wait for the RTM.

#195 coth

coth

Neowinian

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:27

Installed Preview on VirtualBox... Feels like localization was done by robot. Lots of meaningless words, significant lexical errors, bloated strings... In old times MS always been very good on localizations. But this time it's just disaster...