apple samsung

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,650 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:45

A San Jose court has denied Apple's attempt to add the Galaxy S4 to its patent case against Samsung. In a statement yesterday, Judge Paul S. Grewal said that adding a new product to the case would fly in the face of Judge Lucy Koh's previous instruction to minimize the scope of the lawsuit. "Each time these parties appear in the courtroom, they consume considerable amounts of the court's time and energy," he wrote, "which takes time away from other parties who also require and are entitled to the court's attention."

Apple's second US lawsuit against Samsung — following a dramatic win in the first trial last year — currently covers the Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S III, and Galaxy Nexus among several other phones and tablets. In mid-May, Apple proposed to add the recently released Galaxy S4 and drop its claim against another Samsung product, leaving the total number changed. It argued that the S4 presented a clearer threat to Apple's intellectual property, and that substituting it for another device wouldn't be unduly onerous.

But Grewal disagreed. Judges have grown increasingly impatient with Apple and Samsung's legal maneuvering over the past years, and the Obama administration has vowed to crack down on patent trolls and other companies that file unnecessary suits. In short, it's a bad time to convince a court that changing or expanding the scope of a patent case is a good idea. "Judge Koh has been explicit with both parties that this case must be streamlined, which requires reducing the number of products and patents at issue — not increasing them," wrote Grewal. "The number of products may be the same, but as the court described, the potential disputes revolving around Galaxy S4 are greater than whatever product it will replace because of its late addition." He noted that because of the S4's recent release, it would also be harder to gather information about consumer preferences, sales, or marketing efforts.

In previous filings, Apple said that not being able to include the Galaxy S4 would force it to bring yet another lawsuit. Grewal, however, said that neither he nor Koh had been persuaded by this argument when Apple made it before. "Apple already needs to dismiss without prejudice several products from this case and so a new trial would be likely regardless," he wrote.

http://www.theverge....ung-patent-suit

#2 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

• 2,226 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:50

wish they would just give up and be friends

#3 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,531 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:33

wish they would just concentrate on releasing great innovating products instead.

#4 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:23

wish they would just concentrate on releasing great innovating products instead.

But Apple doesn't innovate.

#5 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• 5,328 posts
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:33

And apple likes being a patent troll. They also don't seem to want to be friends with samsung. Apple... enough of this patent lawsuit business crap. All your doing is waisting the courts time.

#6 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 10,110 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 July 2013 - 18:22

"Can't innovate, my ass." --Phil Schiller, WWDC 2013

Obviously his definition of "innovate" is "take existing technology, but make it look pretty so you can convince people it's brand new."

#7 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,311 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 18:25

Neither has anybody for the past 5+ years...

#8 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:21

Plenty of people have innovated in the past 5+ years, including the likes of Google and Microsoft.

#9 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:57

You can't possibly be serious?

#10 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 821 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:11

is this still happening? who cares....

#11 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,311 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 13:07

You can't possibly be serious?

Oh do tell...

#12 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:32

Oh do tell...

Kinect 1/2, Leap Motion, Occulus Rift and Google Glass are all innovations that instantly spring to mind in the last 5 years. I could probably think of more, if you would like.

#13 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,530 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:34

I thought this already ended its being going on for years. I just hope apple loses and learns their lesson.

#14 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,311 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 20:42

Kinect 1/2, Leap Motion, Occulus Rift and Google Glass are all innovations that instantly spring to mind in the last 5 years. I could probably think of more, if you would like.

This discussion is about phones...

#15 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• 1,291 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 20:55

And this means more money to the courts as a result of the filing fees and such that must be paid to open a new suit.