Photo

Apple can't add Galaxy S4 to latest Samsung patent lawsuit

apple samsung

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,864 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 20:55

I know I'm most likely wrong, and this is nothing more than an opinion and I have no facts to back this up, but JESUS!

What the hell's going on, you can't compete so you sue for income?

Granted if Samsung are infringing on Apple's IP fair enough, but this is starting get silly and is hinting towards desperation on Apple's part from what I can tell.

But then I came here from this thread http://www.neowin.ne...4-is-most-loved again I don't hate Apple, I'm indifferent, I'll simply buy what I liked at the time, (This is coming from someone who still thinks a Nokia N8 is a great phone, so an arguement could be made' what do I know.)

#17 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 00:49

This discussion is about phones...

App stores

Hand and eye motion sensors

The plethora of work in voice recognition

Augmented Reality

Very high PPI screens

Probably more

#18 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,796 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:05

App stores

Augmented Reality

Very high PPI screens

Probably more

I think Apple was the first with an app store, when you compare to Android. 

Some of the things you said were already existing technologies - each company just furthered progress in the respective areas. 

High PPI screens is just an evolution of display technology. Apple started the PPI wars, but they're far behind compared to Android smartphones. It was bound to happen even if Apple wasn't in the smartphone market.

#19 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,275 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:24

App stores

Augmented Reality

Very high PPI screens

Probably more

All of which has existed in other technologies long before it came to phones...

#20 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:14

All of which has existed in other technologies long before it came to phones...

I think you guys are expecting way, way too much. Phones in the last 10 years have gone from silly little feature phones to powerful computers in incredibly small form-factors. Games with visuals that even in 2005 would have been deemed visually appealing. Apps which have enabled businesses to become incredibly more dynamic and mobile.

So, yes, maybe those technologies existed before it came to phones, but isn't the fact that all these fantastic computer technologies are now available on mobile? Innovation doesn't necessarily mean something radically new, not always.

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,275 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 13:16

I think you guys are expecting way, way too much. Phones in the last 10 years have gone from silly little feature phones to powerful computers in incredibly small form-factors. Games with visuals that even in 2005 would have been deemed visually appealing. Apps which have enabled businesses to become incredibly more dynamic and mobile.

So, yes, maybe those technologies existed before it came to phones, but isn't the fact that all these fantastic computer technologies are now available on mobile? Innovation doesn't necessarily mean something radically new, not always.

You're right, but that's not innovation.  That's evolution of technology.

If I take a toaster and build some radical form of it into a car, it's not innovation.  It's taking something that already exists and expanding it's capabilities.

Many true innovations die in the concept/prototype stage due to not being practical.