Installed 8.1 Update can't see any difference need some help to check

Anyone know how to verify?  The update was only 15mb and I dont get a Windows Start Button and I can't tell any difference it did a little updating then rebooted optimized updates and started up fine.  Downloading ISO now but I'd rather not reinstall as this install is doing spectacular with all the latest tweaks I've put into it.  Tried windows key + pause break to verify 8.1 but it still just says Windows 8 Pro.  Kernel file says modified 4/13/2013 isn't 8.1 supposed to have reduced memory usage?(must have been from installing nvidia 320.49 yesterday)  I think I detect some snappiness but maybe its placebo install effect.  You would think to reduce memory usage would mean a new ntoskrnl.dll.  Need you os pros to shed some light.  Thank you in advance.

If you don't have a start button or the "Windows 8.1 Pro Preview" text in the bottom right corner of your desktop then don't have 8.1. The update was enabling the Windows Store to install Windows 8,1

You probably just downloaded the .msu update kb file that changes your Store. Your Store should, when opened now, properly have a huge tile at the start that says "Windows 8.1 Preview." Click that, click Download, wait for the 3.5GB OS to download, then install.

Windows Store the metro app?  I don't see anything there.  Windows store the site keeps taking me back to that 15mb kb I already installed...............  What is up with all this stuff also you guys shouldn't just say windows store like they know what you are talking about(this has to be the most ridiculous install ever with a who knows what list of dependencies even microsoft doesn't know other than "Is this the wendows enstalled ayat the fectery?").   Just heads up because I'm sure it will be misconception for many that read this thread.  Personally I haven't really used any of the metro apps yet..   I just look at them from time to time(very few).  Also I finally found one link on the windows store site where if I click it it says "service is unavailable" in black text in the upper left of the browser(could be because I'm downloading the iso(clicked link on softpedia) from ms cause it says that in chrome in ie it just keeps trying to do something. I'll update this as needed.) Looked through whole metro app not one mention or tile about 8.1.

That's where the upgrade is located if you don't want to use the ISO files. After you installed the .msu file you should have been prompted to reboot. Afterward it should show up as an enormous tile in the app store ("Store" on the start screen.) If it didn't you may either be in an unsupported region for the preview or have something else wrong with your Windows installation.

• Like 1

So when you do this via the store is it installing a whole new os like upgrades from the past and then trying to transfer your files and settings in?  Or do registry tweaks remain between the installs?  because if its gonna erase all my registry tweaks I might as well just install from the ISO myself where everything is nice and clean and not broken so I don't have to do it again later.....  What about performance?  Is it faster? Does it feel lighter and snappier? and if you do it this update method how long did it take you? Please include processor and hard drive/ hard drive specs in your answer.  3.5 gigs seems like a new os install because thats the size of the iso meaning it probably just images the new layout and then automated scripts try to set it up the same way.  What about program installs did anyone have any break?

You install the update which triggers the Windows store to show you the download, then restart your PC, when you go into the Windows Store you should see the Windows 8.1 Preview as the first entry.

It really is not too difficult and this whole process has been outlined dozens of times on comments here and articles everywhere. If, however, for whatever reason, you do not see the giant tile in the Store, then you probably aren't using the en-US locale or have something wrong with your copy of Windows. Try the ISOs instead.

No its not the locale problem and it says the update is installed when I try to install it again, but there is no popup when i reboot to update windows store and my windows store doesn't have it.  This is the problem with trying to update some new stupid way everytime you add a new feature because its not tested enough it breaks...............

Well if you are not getting the Store App popup then open the Store App manually and send us an screen shot of what you see there.

You do realise this is a preview and not designed for general consumption and certainly not for people to install on their main PC if they aren't prepared to see the odd bug or two (Its beta software, not finished)?

You said earlier that people should "just say windows store" as though this is a hard concept, on the start screen there is a tile called STORE!

There will not be a pop up, once the initial update has been installed (it was done this way so that everyone didn't get the preview prompt, just the people looking to install it) and you have rebooted, just go to the start screen and open the store - if its worked you will have a big tile in the store asking you to install the blue update.

Its that simple.

• Like 1

No its not the locale problem and it says the update is installed when I try to install it again, but there is no popup when i reboot to update windows store and my windows store doesn't have it.  This is the problem with trying to update some new stupid way everytime you add a new feature because its not tested enough it breaks...............

Okay, now you're just being ridiculous. At this point it seems that trying out a preview build for testing purposes (let alone installing it) is way too far over your head, especially if you can't just do a simple Bing search or look on the official Windows website.

Your right no one uses windows store that I know about so its not a concrete concept plus there is a windows store site and then your always flipping through pages to that update and then it promises isos it doesnt take you to either.  I say fail all around just give me an iso page like windows 8 release preview or include it in windows update something thats more firm and well tested instead of trying to attract people to windows store and fail.

Also I am the god of windows tweaking OO.  I'll just install it from iso but I was hoping this was really just an update and not a whole os reinstall and the registry has been similar enough through since xp that my tweaks would still be there so I wont have to spend 4 hours installing and tweaking tonight, but windows store failed now im gonna have to play with installing via efi with a cd which is always fun and lets be honest windows 7 8 8.1 its really just all the same windows most of the big bugs have been worked out and if any performance is offered beta or not I have to have it because thats what makes me ___ __ _____(not just windows either).  I don't have to bother with things like overclocking.  I get enough speed with tweaks alone.  Look all of my viewpoints have been correct and they shouldnt have offended you but if you want to play I'm a noob. I'm gonna let you know where you stand.

Oh I get the disk fired up and it says I need a product key that wasn't out nice in the open like it was in windows 8 release preview either.  I had to google to find it buried in the FAQ(oh out of printer paper too another plus THANKS MICROSOFT LOL)(of course the printing the FAQ had all bullet points expanded when I only had the cdkey point expanded in my browser and I ran out of paper on the 2nd page one page before cd key and the end of my supply of paper now I have to chase down my paper reams...).  I love it when Microsoft forces me to attempt installs multiple times(ontop of finding which of my eight drives is the os drive by removing the dongles one by one(you don't want the boot record put on the wrong drive as windows notoriously has on installs in the past do you?) and playing musical keyboards that will press any key through the efi cd boot load string(I realize this is bios but still its fun)).  They always think everything out and they are always thinking ahead that in the future that Microsoft should regress until achieving the ultimate goal of never paying attention to any details at all because that's customer excellence. (your above link isn't working for me right now)

It seems to me Microsoft was feature heavy but attentive all the way up to xp.  Then they got overly featurely in vista then in 7 they got smart and started to cut things and focus more on performance, but I'm starting to notice the details aren't watched like they used to be.  Little frustrations here and there.  You'd think by now after all these years they would just have a universal button you could push and the os transfer would happen seamlessly.  HA it will never happen because the transfer scripts require too many unforeseen details................

ColdFlo, on 27 Jun 2013 - 17:51, said:ColdFlo, on 27 Jun 2013 - 17:51, said:

I say fail all around just give me an iso page like windows 8 release preview or include it in windows update something thats more firm and well tested instead of trying to attract people to windows store and fail.

Also I am the god of windows tweaking OO.   

ColdFlo, on 27 Jun 2013 - 19:12, said:

Oh I get the disk fired up and it says I need a product key that wasn't out nice in the open like it was in windows 8 release preview either.  I had to google to find it buried in the FAQ(oh out of printer paper too another plus THANKS MICROSOFT LOL)(

It seems to me Microsoft was feature heavy but attentive all the way up to xp.

HA it will never happen because the transfer scripts require too many unforeseen details................

You are simply too much.

There is now way you can be this arrogant/ignorant without being a troll. Have fun breaking your system, I guess.

Got it installed and tweaked much snappier getting more frames in Crysis 3(of which I am god hows that for arrogance or maybe i earned it through hardwork unlike all the cheetboys playing games these days(or maybe I just last of old gen left and all the knew kiddies are weak gen noobs),  I never cheeted).  Never installed an OS and gotten more frames like this before sure I've had lower latency and some performance but not like this.  Nothing dramatic visual wise but performance wise this is great.  You know I gave Mark Russonivich my tweak.reg and ever since then windows 7 8 and now 8.1 have been very performance geared.  I also made mention of graphics menus sliding about is how I think I put it and clean glitch free performance like a pane a glass(maybe they listen to me who knows(I think I still have the email sure is interesting how glitch free windows has been since 7),  graphics like compiz-fusion is what I said and what did we get a high perormance you tailored graphic windows maybe its just coincidence or maybe there was correllation I'm sure everyone thought vista was slow but you never know........).  At first i didnt like the no aero but then i realized within 4 hours of using 8 that my eyes had less tension in the muscles surrounding them and then I realized that metro guy knew his erognomic **** so all I had to do was google advanced mode for driver signing enforcement and disable power saving features and later the net tweaks.  I'll give you my cmd prompt tweaks that I bet can all be entered via powershell now which I'm finally gonna have to learn.  I need to learn how to do all the tweaks via powershell and hit up their boards to make sure they support all the tweaks.  I wonder if reg tweaking is possible via powershell I'm sure it is even tho allbeit slower(than clicking a .reg file) we need a way to powershell through the registry then it would be very nix like.

powercfg.exe -h off  } Get rid of Hiberfil.sys its better to have a clean windows load with fresh ram load.
bcdedit /set useplatformclock true    }  These two make 8 more 7 like at least supposedly they fixed a glitch I got when I first installed 8 that would ram jitter lock my pc.
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes  }  Don't know if its still needed but I still have to input it whether i can check it or not until I hear otherwise.  Below is net tweaks via cmdline more are in registry.
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled

The isos need to be listed higher on that page so you know your on the iso page looks like another page of instructions  How to Install should be listed below the isos bad layout.  Besides I shouldnt have been distracted about going to windows store and flipping through a bunch of pages just to find isos.  You click on download isos then the isos are hiding below off page then it says at top Windows isos at windows store then it takes you to the page you were just on thinking its a loop with no isos.  Horrible layout case closed.  Im not an ahole,  I'm not a noob.  I win.  Windows store dependency loop dead end fail.

Your right no one uses windows store that I know about so its not a concrete concept plus there is a windows store site and then your always flipping through pages to that update and then it promises isos it doesnt take you to either.  I say fail all around just give me an iso page like windows 8 release preview or include it in windows update something thats more firm and well tested instead of trying to attract people to windows store and fail.

Also I am the god of windows tweaking OO.  I'll just install it from iso but I was hoping this was really just an update and not a whole os reinstall and the registry has been similar enough through since xp that my tweaks would still be there so I wont have to spend 4 hours installing and tweaking tonight, but windows store failed now im gonna have to play with installing via efi with a cd which is always fun and lets be honest windows 7 8 8.1 its really just all the same windows most of the big bugs have been worked out and if any performance is offered beta or not I have to have it because thats what makes me ___ __ _____(not just windows either).  I don't have to bother with things like overclocking.  I get enough speed with tweaks alone.  Look all of my viewpoints have been correct and they shouldnt have offended you but if you want to play I'm a noob. I'm gonna let you know where you stand.

Maybe you tweaked a little too much in the registry and messed with things Windows is supposed to be able to do.   Plus, your sentences are really run-on; it's hard to follow your line of thought. Oh, and it's "you're right" not "your right".