CLAYTON COUNTY, GA -- A Clayton County woman's birth certificate has listed her as a man for the last 37 years, but she didn't notice the mistake until now.  Nakia Grimes says she was horrified when state workers told her she'd need a doctor's note proving her gender to get it corrected.

Grimes told FOX 5 she never noticed the "x" in the field on her birth certificate that marks her as a male.  

"You only look at the name, the date, and the year," Grimes told FOX 5.  "I've never seen that."

Grimes said she never really had a need for the document until she prepared to renew her Georgia driver's license, but new rules mean she needed a copy.  That's where the problems started. With her 37th birthday approaching, Grimes went to the state's Vital Records Services.

"When I went to retrieve my birth certificate, I let her know the sex status is wrong," Grimes explained.  "I'm a woman, was born a woman.

Gender is a question Grimes-- a mother-- says she never imagined she'd have to answer, much less prove.  But she says state workers asked if she had a primary care doctor, and told her she'd have to have proof she is a woman. :wacko:

"She said I needed to go have a PAP exam, have a doctor write a note verifying you're a woman, and bring it back-? notarized," Grimes told FOX 5.  She left the office horrified and angry.   

FOX 5's Kaitlyn Pratt took Grimes' concerns to Vital Records Services.  Their director said what happened is not protocol, and she's looking into the incident.  She also promised to make things right.

After looking up the birth certificate of Grimes' son, Zion, state records officials made the change and checked the correct box on her birth certificate.

source

...Seriously? :/ If she's had kids it's a fairly obvious sign that she's a woman. Dimwits.

Well unless she's a part of the Amish community it's highly likely there were medical professionals present.

How is it her mother never realized the mistake? You need your birth certificate to get a passport correct?

How is it her mother never realized the mistake? You need your birth certificate to get a passport correct?

You are assuming she has traveled internationally. I don't know percentages but I do know many many people who have never even been out of the state they were born in, much less been to another country. I know adults in their 30s and 40s who have never been on an airplane or a boat before.

You cant assume anything, mind you if she says look up her son's record and see who the mom is listed as, I would say that should have been proof enough.

Well unless she's a part of the Amish community it's highly likely there were medical professionals present.

<facepalm>

FYI - Amish births are registered, they have Social Security numbers and are issued birth certificates. They need these to own property, pay taxes, own firearms (they often hunt & need to buy licenses), take out loans and conduct their businesses, though the Amish are exempted from participating in the Social Security system or paying the withholding taxes for same because they don't use it.

Amish also DO use doctors and hospitals, especially for a first birth, but subsequent deliveries are usually at home or local birthing centers - ofen by midwife with a local physician on call.

They will also travel considerable distances for health care, though they are very frugal - tending to use home & herbal remedies for minor afflictions. It's also not uncommon for clinics & hospitals near Amish communities to have parking for buggies and hitching rails for their horses.

• Like 1

Thanks for the history lesson, and the complete over reaction to a silly joke ;)

• Like 2

...Seriously? :/ If she's had kids it's a fairly obvious sign that she's a woman. Dimwits.

Looks like from the article, thats exactly what they used as criteria to validate the change.

After looking up the birth certificate of Grimes' son, Zion, state records officials made the change and checked the correct box on her birth certificate.

As crazy as it sounds, when I first got my drivers licence they screwed up and put me down as a female. I didn't notice until later that day, went back to the DMV which then referred me to another office. When I got to the office, they asked if I had proof, aka my birth certificate. Of course I didn't b/c I expected this to be a simple fix, I think I jokingly said, I can drop my pants and show you haha. Luckily I had it all taken care of though, and this was in Georgia too

Given the cross/change gender society we have these days its not hard to understand the need for at least some proof.

Justin Bieber should have to go thru the same thing. :wacko:

No there is only one option for justin biber *Calls Scorpion from Mortal Kombat*

Justin Bieber should have to go thru the same thing. :wacko:

Im sorry but some things are totally beyond redemption

Thanks for the history lesson, and the complete over reaction to a silly lame joke ;)

Fixed

And is there such a thing as an incomplete overreaction?  ;)

Thanks but I'll restrict my listening to the opinions of people I actually respect ;)

Oh by all means, suit yourself.  Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but this restriction you speak of seems to be very limiting!  ;)