31 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:52

yZqENdy.jpg

Xbox One owners won't be able to connect the console's new Kinect sensor to their PCs, but Microsoft will be offering a separately sold model for home computers.

The website Ars Technica has received an official statement from Microsoft confirming that the Kinect 2.0 sensor for Xbox One will not work with PCs. The unit uses a specially designed, proprietary connector instead of USB. The company will not be making, as some had hoped, an adapter that allows the unit to plug into a PC's USB port.

The company will be releasing separate Kinect hardware for Xbox that will use a USB connector. A Microsoft spokesperson told Ars Technica, "The new generation Kinect for Windows sensor will be a fully tested, licensed, and supported Kinect experience on Windows. Kinect for Xbox One is being built for and tested with the Xbox One."

[Source: Ars Technica]

Source

Not surprising considering it has a unique/proprietary connector. Although, I would ask why it couldn't have just been USB 3.0? Surely that would provide enough speed? (Not trolling or hating, a serious question)

#2 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:09

USB 3.0 can do 5Gbp/s and according to the marketing blurb, the X1 Kinect does 2Gbp/s so that's not a problem. Maybe there's another technical reason behind it? I don't have a clue. Couldn't the first Kinect go to USB?

#3 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18

They don't want you to hack it, because I'm pretty sure some authentications are to be made by the camera

#4 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18

USB 3.0 can do 5Gbp/s and according to the marketing blurb, the X1 Kinect does 2Gbp/s so that's not a problem. Maybe there's another technical reason behind it? I don't have a clue. Couldn't the first Kinect go to USB?

Kinect 1.0 was USB 2.0 with a proprietary plug I believe (however I think it was more just just a different plug though, since it could power Kinect while normal USB 2.0 could not). I think it would be pretty fair to assume Kinect 2.0 is based on USB 3.0 connectivity technology, but uses a proprietary plug and have other hardware tweaks. That is the general gist of it anyway (that I understand, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). 

#5 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:20

i doubt it was technical problem that prevent the USB 3.0 usages, its more likely marketing strategy going on.

#6 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:25

i doubt it was technical problem that prevent the USB 3.0 usages, its more likely marketing strategy going on.

It's not marketing nor is it technical, the "issue" is very simple. It's money! Kinect for X1 is subsidised [along with the console itself] (i.e. they are taking a loss on the sale of each one) and if people went out and bought X1s just for the Kinect MS will stand to lose alot of money (since the money is made of software sales + XBL) and I believe making it mandatory for the operation of the console prevents people who don't want Kinect to sell/give it to someone else. Translated: if you want to use Kinect on a PC you have to pay the full price for the privilege. 

#7 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:45

Maybe the X1 Kinect draws more power than USB3 allows.

That would be logical but using logic is hard and it's much easier to jump to conclusions that it's a money grab.

MS IS teh devi1!!1!  afterall.

:rolleyes:

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:02

It's possible it is to draw more power and keep it from being used on machines without that capability, it's also possible it's not USB at all (the port looks similar to Thunderbolt.)

It's hard to say without someone doing a proper teardown of the machines innards.

The original Kinect just needed an adapter cable to hook to PCs, might be the same here...but who knows.

#9 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:44

That would be logical but using logic is hard and it's much easier to jump to conclusions that it's a money grab.

That is also a reasonable possibility.

#10 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:48

but that can be easily solved  with external power adapter, i mean my 5 years old scanner & printers just do that, USB cable & power cable, why can't xbox one kinect?

#11 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:51

Aha, simple yet very plausible.

Doesn't this Kinect have more on-board chips to help with the processing whereas the 360 one didn't. If so then we probably have a reason. 

#12 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:51

but that can be easily solved  with external power adapter, i mean my 5 years old scanner & printers just do that, USB cable & power cable, why can't xbox one kinect?

You mean have one adapter for the Xbox and one for the Kinect? I doubt people would want to plug in two devices. Makes more sense to have the peripherals draw power from the Xbox itself.

#13 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:52

It could use an external power adapter, but that would make it more expensive to manufacture and be a mess of cables (X360s original Kinect setup did that and it was annoying, the Slim and past that had a custom port.)

#14 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:54

Aha, simple yet very plausible.

Doesn't this Kinect have more on-board chips to help with the processing whereas the 360 one didn't. If so then we probably have a reason. 

the new Kinect uses a 1080p wide-angle time-of-flight camera (in comparison to the VGA resolution of the previous version), and processes 2 gigabits of data per second to read its environment

So maybe the power theory is entirely the reason.

#15 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:57

Should be interesting. Remember that the originally XBox controller was not compatible with a PC.... well unless you cut the connector off and connected the wire to a USB cable. No reason to spend $50+ for a PC xbox controller when you can make your own for less than $15 and learn something while you are at it. Maybe someone will do something similar with their Kinect.