Photo

Xbox One Kinect Not Compatible With PCs

kinect microsoft

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:59

You mean have one adapter for the Xbox and one for the Kinect? I doubt people would want to plug in two devices. Makes more sense to have the peripherals draw power from the Xbox itself.

Its completely possible though, just like composite Video & Audio RCA Jack, you know that yellow, white, red colored jack?

just bind the usb cable with one of such cable/jack, hell some of such USB-combo cable already employed by some android tablets.

as i said, its doubtful it was technical problem that prevent xbox one kinect form using USB3.

#17 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 13:04

Its completely possible though, just like composite Video & Audio RCA Jack, you know that yellow, white, red colored jack?

just bind the usb cable with one of such cable/jack, hell some of such USB-combo cable already employed by some android tablets.

as i said, its doubtful it was technical problem that prevent xbox one kinect form using USB3.

Considering there would be a separate line in the cable to pull power, it would simply be a matter of giving that one line an external power source.

#18 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 28 June 2013 - 13:09

Considering there would be a separate line in the cable to pull power, it would simply be a matter of giving that one line an external power source.

and this 'External Power Source' can be easily place just beside the USB3 port on Xbox One, just need to labeled for kinect.

but i guess whoever design xbox one, deliberately skip that possibility.

#19 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 28 June 2013 - 13:14

Doing some reading, the old (current?) Kinect used 12 watts. The new Kinect I would imagine is considerably more power hungry so the USB 3, which I read is 4.5 watts, wouldn't suffice.

But all of that is irrelevant if it has its own adapter anyway. Or am I missing something?

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 June 2013 - 13:18

Doing some reading, the old (current?) Kinect used 12 watts. The new Kinect I would imagine is considerably more power hungry so the USB 3, which I read is 4.5 watts, wouldn't suffice.

But all of that is irrelevant if it has its own adapter anyway. Or am I missing something?

Kinect v1 needed extra adapter on 360 or a special connector on 360S. I think it's power + subsidy on the console model. The "Windows" version also has on going SDK support.

In a nutshell,

1. Power

2. Licensing

The v1 Kinect itself used unencrypted connection, I don't see why they would suddenly change that. (i.e. you can buy it with console and use it on a PC).

#21 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 13:19

It is a good excuse for having a proprietary adapter but like I was saying, you would only have to cut the cable and give that one line its own 12 watt power source and it should work just fine on a PC. The question is, where are our electrical engineers that will do it first and give us a tutorial :p.

#22 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 June 2013 - 15:34

I'm sure someone will come along with an adapter to allow us to use the X1 Kinect with a pc. Its just a matter of time.

#23 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 28 June 2013 - 15:37

I agree with some that this is a combination of power needs and licensing.  That $300 fee for the Kinect for windows early dev program is a bargain if you break it down.  You initially get the beta/dev unit but then you ALSO get the final unit later on.   They're giving you two of them plus the SDK plus direct support from the people who make the damn thing.  That makes the price tag pretty cheap. 

Also as far as power goes, I'm betting it uses more than v1.  The cameras are in HD now, but you also have other abilities the v1 didn't, like seeing in the dark, etc.  There's more logic stuffed in there I'm sure, in order to make up for any limits on the Xbox One itself.  Remember the Kinect 2 on the X1 has to do all that without getting in the way of the console itself that's playing a game and doing other tasks to, which again means it probably has extra bits in it to help process all that data.   The windows version coming next year will probably not, since the developers can use more of their PCs CPU/RAM/GPU etc, they're not going to have to balance the Kinect + running some new AAA game at the same time.    This probably means the Kinect 2 for windows units they ship in final form will be smaller even, use less power so that USB3 supports it, and so on.

The final part being costs and licensing or however you want to think of it.  No way the new Kinect comes in at just $100 with $300 being for the X1 alone.  Not when the v1 Kinect is sold for $150, so you know MS is taking a hit even at $500 for both.  This means they want to make it up with the software/games not have a chunk of them being bought only for the Kinect and seeing the X1 tossed aside.  

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 June 2013 - 17:39

I agree with some that this is a combination of power needs and licensing.  That $300 fee for the Kinect for windows early dev program is a bargain if you break it down.  You initially get the beta/dev unit but then you ALSO get the final unit later on.   They're giving you two of them plus the SDK plus direct support from the people who make the damn thing.  That makes the price tag pretty cheap. 

Also as far as power goes, I'm betting it uses more than v1.  The cameras are in HD now, but you also have other abilities the v1 didn't, like seeing in the dark, etc.  There's more logic stuffed in there I'm sure, in order to make up for any limits on the Xbox One itself.  Remember the Kinect 2 on the X1 has to do all that without getting in the way of the console itself that's playing a game and doing other tasks to, which again means it probably has extra bits in it to help process all that data.   The windows version coming next year will probably not, since the developers can use more of their PCs CPU/RAM/GPU etc, they're not going to have to balance the Kinect + running some new AAA game at the same time.    This probably means the Kinect 2 for windows units they ship in final form will be smaller even, use less power so that USB3 supports it, and so on.

The final part being costs and licensing or however you want to think of it.  No way the new Kinect comes in at just $100 with $300 being for the X1 alone.  Not when the v1 Kinect is sold for $150, so you know MS is taking a hit even at $500 for both.  This means they want to make it up with the software/games not have a chunk of them being bought only for the Kinect and seeing the X1 tossed aside.  

Actually it probably uses less power than V1.

the cameras, RGB or IR aside don't use very much power. what required power on v1 was the motors that are no longer there. 

#25 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 June 2013 - 20:12

Actually it probably uses less power than V1.

the cameras, RGB or IR aside don't use very much power. what required power on v1 was the motors that are no longer there. 

That's a good point, I forgot that they removed the motors. I guess they were able to do that thanks to wider viewing angle of the new Kinect hardware.

The lack of motors should mean more reliable hardware that puts out less heat.

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 June 2013 - 20:36

That's a good point, I forgot that they removed the motors. I guess they were able to do that thanks to wider viewing angle of the new Kinect hardware.

The lack of motors should mean more reliable hardware that puts out less heat.

How was the Kinect ever unreliable, and heat ? did it even get above ambient...

#27 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 00:07

How was the Kinect ever unreliable, and heat ? did it even get above ambient...

I'm not saying it overheated or failed. My Kinect has been just fine. I'm just saying that fewer moving parts usually means less failure over time.

Doesn't Kinect have a built in fan for air circulation? If so, that is another moving part not needed in the new Kinect.

#28 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:15

Nope http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/4066/1

#29 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:13

Oh ok cool, thanks for sharing that. Well it didn't have a fan, but getting rid of the motor function surely is a positive change overall.

#30 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:03

I could be wrong but I think the Kinect 2 does have a fan in the back?  At least, it looks like it in the pictures I remember seeing.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!