Show us your Windows 8.1 Start Screen

Not sure what you did, but even in Win7 a user has to elevate user rights when the application is trying to write to OS protected folders, e.g. program Files. You cannot be a full admin as a user, unless you're hacking into the OS.

Normally, when a installer/program is written properly, all this is transparant to the user.

I still don't know why people complain about this, Linux has it, OSX has this.Wiindows has it, a bit too late but still has it.

I agree it's a bit more obtrusive in Windows, but apparently people still install every effing thing they see without thinking.

Getting those popups hopefully do help some people to THINk about their actions. All others, I don't care if you have virusses or a slow pc ;-)

Yeah, I always wondered why people kept saying "try running as adminstrator!" to fix issues in Windows 7.  I never had to do that, and I never did any "hacking" to make it so.  There were a few other people I noticed that also didn't have to worry about it in Windows 7.  

I do not want an OS that says "are you SURE you want to install that program?  Really?  but it might be dangerous.  So we should give it admin rights?  Are you SURE you're sure?".  I want an OS that does what I tell it to do, and if I install a virus with admin rights, that is MY fault, not the OS.  I'm sick of OSes treating every user like braindead noobs.

Bit late but here's mine. Love some people's background wallpapers, makes the start screen look much more alive.

plfz.jpg

(I don't cook but can't resist having the cooking app on Large with a yummy food picture  :laugh: )

(Also a random thought but if MS would just replace "Start" by the time and date that would be perfect)

Well since I enabled the option for tiles to fill the entire screen, I don't really need small tiles, I made most of them medium (Except my Gaming Tools) to fill in what was mostly empty space.

post-350302-0-21342100-1372961165.jpg

Well since I enabled the option for tiles to fill the entire screen, I don't really need small tiles, I made most of them medium (Except my Gaming Tools) to fill in what was mostly empty space.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

What do you mean by fill the entire screen? Don't they already do that? 

What do you mean by fill the entire screen? Don't they already do that? 

By default they dont use the top on bottom of the screen, I found this option in the Start Screen settings, makes Tiles use the previously empty space.

post-350302-0-28833400-1372961625.png

This setting is limited to certain screen sizes & resolutions. In my case it's not there (15,6", 1366x768).

This setting is limited to certain screen sizes & resolutions. In my case it's not there (15,6", 1366x768).

Ah. Well, I don't have it either. 19'' 1440 x 900.

It's more for bigger screens with higher resolutions I believe.  It might show up at 1920x1080 and higher. 

I'm using MetroScaler to increase the number of tiles even without a large, high-res monitor. It's not perfect, though, but having 4 rows, than the humongous 3 rows on an 11.6" screen is better for me. All desktop tiles are set to small anyway.

Note: Use at your own risk.

It's more for bigger screens with higher resolutions I believe.  It might show up at 1920x1080 and higher. 

I tested how many apps it can fit, and it can fit 9 apps vertically on it at default size (not tiny)

By default they dont use the top on bottom of the screen, I found this option in the Start Screen settings, makes Tiles use the previously empty space.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I can't find the start screen settings ANYWHERE, how do you get to it?  I enter "start screen" in the settings search, but all i get are "sync settings" and "change the color of your start screen".   :(

Edit: nevermind, I found it, but I only have the option "show administrative tools" and "clear personal options" button.  And I have a 1920x1080 monitor :(

I can't find the start screen settings ANYWHERE, how do you get to it?  I enter "start screen" in the settings search, but all i get are "sync settings" and "change the color of your start screen".   :(

You click the Settings charm and then click 'Tiles'. If your resolution is high enough, an option to show more tiles should appear, just under "Show administrative tools".

You click the Settings charm and then click 'Tiles'. If your resolution is high enough, an option to show more tiles should appear, just under "Show administrative tools".

How is a 1080 resolution not high enough?  

How is a 1080 resolution not high enough?  

1080 should be the bare minimum for a screen these days, maybe that's why 

I have a Yoga 13" with a 1600x900 resolution, and I have the option showing up for me.

So I guess it's a combination of screen size and resolution

Its not much because it is only on my test machine.

and I just noticed that the neowin live tile stopped working.

post-120066-0-05916300-1372980643.png

Does anyone recommend a good RSS app to cycle tech news from various sites like Neowin, Engadget, Android Central etc?

I have a Yoga 13" with a 1600x900 resolution, and I have the option showing up for me.

So I guess it's a combination of screen size and resolution

Well then wtf?  I have a 22" BenQ Eco 2200 w/ 1920x1080@60hz res, and I don't have the option.  And someone else here has a 25x14 res, and they do have the option.  So clearly it has nothing to do with screen size/res.  So why don't I have the option then?

Also, how exactly are you guys customizing your tiles?  I can right click as much as I want, but all get is a little button that says "customize", and all that does is let me move around existing tiles.  How do I add new ones?  There's no "add new tile" button anywhere, and there's no context menu when I right click, two places I would expect to find it in a Windows OS.

Well then wtf?  I have a 22" BenQ Eco 2200 w/ 1920x1080@60hz res, and I don't have the option.  And someone else here has a 25x14 res, and they do have the option.  So clearly it has nothing to do with screen size/res.  So why don't I have the option then?

Also, how exactly are you guys customizing your tiles?  I can right click as much as I want, but all get is a little button that says "customize", and all that does is let me move around existing tiles.  How do I add new ones?  There's no "add new tile" button anywhere, and there's no context menu when I right click, two places I would expect to find it in a Windows OS.

Easiest way to add a tile is to:

- Go to the start screen

- Click on the little arrow in the bottom left corner (have to move your mouse for it to appear)

- Find the application you want in the list

- Right-click the application and select 'pin to start'

You can also right-click an application in the desktop environment and select 'pin to start' but that has been buggy for me in this beta.

Easiest way to add a tile is to:

- Go to the start screen

- Click on the little arrow in the bottom left corner (have to move your mouse for it to appear)

- Find the application you want in the list

- Right-click the application and select 'pin to start'

Okay, but what about those live tiles, like the weather and sports and such?  Where are you getting those from?  Even though I can't use them because I have UAC turned off, I might change my mind one day...

Okay, but what about those live tiles, like the weather and sports and such?  Where are you getting those from?  Even though I can't use them because I have UAC turned off, I might change my mind one day...

They're pre-installed and show up for me in the all applications list.  You can also try searching for 'weather' or 'sport' from the start screen and pin them that way.  Not sure if your UAC settings are preventing you from pinning them though.