Show us your Windows 8.1 Start Screen

Yeah, I always wondered why people kept saying "try running as adminstrator!" to fix issues in Windows 7.  I never had to do that, and I never did any "hacking" to make it so.  There were a few other people I noticed that also didn't have to worry about it in Windows 7.  

I do not want an OS that says "are you SURE you want to install that program?  Really?  but it might be dangerous.  So we should give it admin rights?  Are you SURE you're sure?".  I want an OS that does what I tell it to do, and if I install a virus with admin rights, that is MY fault, not the OS.  I'm sick of OSes treating every user like braindead noobs.

I've worked in IT for 5 years as a system and application admin, and sorry to say, but most people behind a computer screen ARE braindead noobs. Even after some serious training.

Seriously, sometimes I saw things, or got questions really questioning my faith in the human intelligence. Not that I'm sup[er smart or something before you reply on that.... ;-)

Just common sense seems to go out the window when people get behind a monitor.

Yes, the safe guards in the OS's are sometimes annoying, but it's a GOOD thing they are there. I shiver thinking about the NT3.x time, wher almost ALL apps required admin rights to run, and virus/trojan development started to run wild.

With all the new safe guards in place, Windows is a hell of a lot safer than some years ago, and I applaud the time and effort that got into it.

If you want an OS that doesn't complain to you all the time about security, install anything before Vista, and you're fine.. Well.... sort of ;-)

Well if it's not about screen size and res then maybe it's just about drivers? 

Does anyone recommend a good RSS app to cycle tech news from various sites like Neowin, Engadget, Android Central etc?

Try JustFeed

That background, I wantz it!

Where can it be found? :)

I found it on DeviantArt.com

Start.pngWhen did the annoying Windows preview watermark start popping up? It's annoying and only noticed it today

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the "Start" text and the user tile section?

I have a multi screen setup so they were on the other display

The most "beautiful" topic of this forum... yet!

You wouldn't say that if you were a subscriber :shifty:

• 7 months later...

This took me ages to put together, I'm fairly happy with it now, a few more icons to adjust and then I'll call it complete. Using Decor8 and OblyTile BTW. 

tUcUo1G.jpg?1