Photo

Swear filter ?

question

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 29 June 2013 - 15:11

Well this is an english forum, not a panjabi forum ;)

So not really.

And the internet, and by extension this very website, is international.

#17 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 29 June 2013 - 15:33

It's not pointless because if swear words were not filtered it would get Neowin put on a list of sites that are inappropriate at most bussiness and education places and would get blocked. That's the reason we have a separate NSFW section.

Oh. So the reason we can't bypass your filters is because otherwise you won't bypass their filters. Makes sense!!! :huh:  This entire paranoia around swear words is so silly and hypocritical. I'm not complaining about Neowin in particular, this is a stupid societal thing in the anglo-saxon world, especially in the US.

#18 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 29 June 2013 - 15:38

It's not pointless because if swear words were not filtered it would get Neowin put on a list of sites that are inappropriate at most bussiness and education places and would get blocked. That's the reason we have a separate NSFW section.

Really?  You think blocks and site reputations are virtually ever based on language or nsfw segregation?  That quite a disconnect, as its still inappropriate for either. (Quite right +Asik)

I am not circumventing the swear filter nor am I calling anybody a ****ing ****, so I think it's ok to show my passion for something by using the full spectrum of my language.

I mean, I could be eloquent without swearing, but I would not be speaking my mind, so **** that. :)

I quite ****ing agree.  Better than the bland Barneys that add next to nothing except faux-courtesy.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 June 2013 - 16:15

And the internet, and by extension this very website, is international.

The world is international, doesn't mean people in other countries will speak panjabi.

the site is international, but it's an english language site, Internet sites in general only allow English or whatever language they cater to. not for everyone to come and post in whatever language they want. impossible to moderate and completely kills any ability to communicate. 

#20 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 29 June 2013 - 16:32

Personally, I never see them, apart from in the Random Pictures Thread, which is exempt.

Maybe I don't get around as much as you, Hum? :laugh:

Is it exempt though?  Because in post 1 it says to still abide by the forum rules, which includes no swear/curse words.

#21 jimmy_jazz

jimmy_jazz

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 June 2013 - 16:48

People who are offended by bad language are aunts.......also the person who invented autocorrect

#22 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 17:34

The world is international, doesn't mean people in other countries will speak panjabi.

the site is international, but it's an english language site, Internet sites in general only allow English or whatever language they cater to. not for everyone to come and post in whatever language they want. impossible to moderate and completely kills any ability to communicate.

In response to the first part of your reply. People can and will speak in whichever language they choose. I do not now, nor have I ever had a problem with this. I only opened my statement about how one word used in everyday panjabi could be mistaken for a racial slur. Which was simply supposed to be an observation on language, nothing more.
This is the second thread in which your response to me is less diplomatic that you could have chosen to be. Am I really unworthy of a refined response in your opinion?

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 June 2013 - 21:53

How is my reply to you in any way "less diplomatic" or "rude" as is what you mean ? heck my original reply to you on the issue was more of a joke as I figured you where merely being jokingly sarcastic as well. hence the smiley. 

and no, Neowin doesn't allow you to writ in any language you choose. so if a swear word isn't in another language is irrelevant. and doesn't cause issues.

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 29 June 2013 - 21:56

Swearing is a bit of a thorny issue. I for one have no particular problem with it but it's a hard thing to easily keep tabs on, and it could end up leading to more bile and insults being thrown during flame wars.

#25 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:04

How is my reply to you in any way "less diplomatic" or "rude" as is what you mean ? heck my original reply to you on the issue was more of a joke as I figured you where merely being jokingly sarcastic as well. hence the smiley. 

and no, Neowin doesn't allow you to writ in any language you choose. so if a swear word isn't in another language is irrelevant. and doesn't cause issues.

ok, mostly a misunderstanding on my part, but I didn't think you went as far as rude,

I suppose I should have said in my opening post an innocent word in english could be considered offensive in one form or another, in another language, and left it as that.

#26 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:06

Is it exempt though?  Because in post 1 it says to still abide by the forum rules, which includes no swear/curse words.

This is the first mention of it I could find... http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595655344

#27 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:17

This is the first mention of it I could find... http://www.neowin.ne...#entry595655344

So which do we go by?  Post 1 that says no swearing, or post 8508 that says we can if it is in a picture?  Mods, Admins - can we have a definitive answer?  Please.

Personally, I don't care, but I think it needs to be addressed for all to know.

#28 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4S 64GB • iOS 7.1

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:46

Well this is Neowin after all. There are a lot of inconsistencies with rule applications, and moderation. It depends on the moderator, their mood, and how much they want the rules to be applied.

It is just like the police officer who gets to decide whether to let you go with a warning or a ticket. One never really knows.

And since my warning 6 months ago for something that I still believe did not merit me a warning, I came to the realisation that do your best, and hope for the best. Had I known, perhaps I would have stuck the F word on the photo, and I would not have gotten a warning.

It is true that moderating a forum as big as this one is not an easy task, but I suppose that there must be ways for better consistency when applying forum rules.

#29 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:47

So which do we go by?  Post 1 that says no swearing, or post 8508 that says we can if it is in a picture?  Mods, Admins - can we have a definitive answer?  Please.

Personally, I don't care, but I think it needs to be addressed for all to know.

If you browse that thread, and those that came before it, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

The thread is marked as NSFW, so most things go, within reason, i.e. no tits or flange (Y)

#30 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:49

If you browse that thread, and those that came before it, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

The thread is marked as NSFW, so most things go, within reason, i.e. no tits or flange (Y)

Flange? Like the 'FOLD' you see on exhaust parts and car doors?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!