Installed Android 4.3 on my GS4

Headed over to XDA to install the new 4.2.2 Google ROM for the GS4 and noticed there was a leaked 4.3 ROM that had been ported to the i9505, fired it up. Apparently most of the changes are under the hood, after watching Googles presentation they talked a lot about optimizations for the GPU in drawing the objects on the screen. Something about 2.5x more efficient. Most noticably the new Camera UI is here. Android Central mentioned stuff about new Bluetooth Stacks buried in there.

(Shrank down the screenshots hugely because they'd be huge otherwise)

post-350302-0-00053900-1372439939.pngpost-350302-0-83863400-1372439941.png

Anyone who knows more about it want me to do some digging?

how's battery life compared to Samsung ROM (TouchWiz)?

I've only had it installed since about 3pm so I can't really judge. Before then I'd been running CM10.1, but then I still can't compare because my S4 has an extended 5200MaH battery on it which lasts for days.

Just downloading this now, will definitely be giving this a try.

No Root yet which is a shame :(

People were worried about Samsung being slow with the updates and they are already testing 4.3 :D sounds good to me!!

Just downloading this now, will definitely be giving this a try.

No Root yet which is a shame :(

People were worried about Samsung being slow with the updates and they are already testing 4.3 :D sounds good to me!!

The 4.3 dump was ported from an N4 leak, not a Samsung leak.

Reports said it was leaked by Sammobile. Which said that the Manufacturers already have the 4.3 ROM so they can play with it for updates.

This particular leak is from the S4 Google Edition.

Reports said it was leaked by Sammobile. Which said that the Manufacturers already have the 4.3 ROM so they can play with it for updates.

This particular leak is from the S4 Google Edition.

Oh, interesting.I just read Sammobile's page. I had heard initially that it was just a port of the N4 leak and hadn't read much about it since. Good to see some more 4.3 leaks coming then! Nice that it was a Google Edition leak so it's AOSP rather than being TouchWiz and half broken still.

Edit: Ahh, I think I see my confusion. The news articles all say "ported to S4" and I assumed from the other 4.3 leak we had at that point, but they meant from a newer Google Edition S4. Still, I wonder what the difference in the Google Edition updates will be compared to Samsung or HTC's updates for their regular phones. 4.3 could come soon in AOSP and slow as dirt on the stock ROMs still. Hopefully that's not the case. 

The Google Edition phones will have different kernels, as you can see from the screenshot in the OP. They're developed by the vendor to make the most out of the hardware, but it should still mean fast upgrade times.

other than the camera i have read there is nothing major about this build and  really noreason to call it 4.3  but should be called 4.2.3

Here are the changes that Android Central has noticed so far. Also Roboto gets a facelift.

other than the camera i have read there is nothing major about this build and  really noreason to call it 4.3  but should be called 4.2.3

Uhm no ... You have no idea of the changes under the hood. And they updated the camera app. They don't do that for a 4.2.x update

Anyway version numbers are very subjective sometimes.

If there was something major it would be called 5.0. 4.3 is a bump in a few things and fixes some small stuff.

Do people really expect a major overhaul/facelift every new update?

I reverted back to 4.2.2

The battery drain for me with 4.3 was horrendous. Also my phone was pretty much constantly warm. I have an extended 5200MaH battery (stock is 2400) and I lost 10% in 2 hours simply being on standby in my pocket. On my extended battery running CM 10.1 if I left it alone, after 2 hours I'd still be on 100-99%.