Steam Update, Kills Gamepad Controller in "Big Picture"

You can force steam to update while a game is playing. Start the update, launch a game, the download will pause, minimize the game and hit resume, the download will continue even after you bring the game back on. I play single player games to pass the time when steam issues a gigantic update or I'm downloading a new game.

Ah, that's useful to know :)

As in "Steam absolutely does not download updates" is not true.

It absolutely doesn't, unless you tell it to. I'd be looking at your background tasks, such as torrents, or other systems on your network.

So far all the problems you've described are either non existent or personal preference. Maybe you should try Origin, it has like 0 features, you'll love it!

Maybe you should try Origin, it has like 0 features, you'll love it!

Steam still doesn't have Twitch support, ironically.

Origin obviously hasn't caught up in all ways, but in many they have.

Lots of Steam complaints eh?

If anyone has read the recent patch notes they would know the controller issue was on Nvidia's side. The geforce experience had a DLL for remote xinput for the Nvidia shield which had a bug.

Additionally Steam beta fixed the issue while the new Geforce Experience has also fixed the issue. Its in both the patch notes.

I thinks it's cute how some people insist on hating on Steam. The program itself is pretty good for what it does, and Steam's prices are hard to beat

I thinks it's cute how some people insist on hating on Steam. The program itself is pretty good for what it does, and Steam's prices are hard to beat

It would be cute if it wasn't for the fact that most of the complaints in this thread are either user incompetance or outright fabrications.

Absolute BS. Just had ping jump to 300 while I was playing CSS.

Did you check to see if it was Steam downloading something?  Why did you attribute the lag spike to Steam?

At least so long as I launch the steam game from within steam, anything that is downloading/uploading is paused as King Mustard said.

Did you check to see if it was Steam downloading something?  Why did you attribute the lag spike to Steam?

At least so long as I launch the steam game from within steam, anything that is downloading/uploading is paused as King Mustard said.

W8 task manager shows which process is being the ***hole :3

It was Steam downloading another worthless update.

The only thing Steam downloads while playing a game are Steam client updates. If you are in the Steam beta update participation then your client will have more updates than usual.

The only thing Steam downloads while playing a game are Steam client updates. If you are in the Steam beta update participation then your client will have more updates than usual.

Exactly what I was saying.

Exactly what I was saying.

No it's not. You've been reaching at straws the whole time. 

What I'm blown away at now is that on your super fast 100MB connection (that origin takes FULL advantage of but not steam) you were able to:

1) Notice the ping drop (this would take a second to realize)

2) alt tab out to windows

3) load taskman

4) scroll to the process of steam.exe

all of this while downloading a 1mb update from steam? If you're on a 100MB connection you never would have seen a blip. Everything you say doesn't add up. As far as I'm concerned you're on a pentium 4 with 256mb of ram running windows xp with your Geforce 8800GT. Either that or your a troll. Either way I get a laugh, because every time you reply it reminds me of a village without an idiot.

If you truly would like to talk about something steam does/did bad, why don't we discuss their implementation of Steam Guard. Obviously I love steam but the stuff that they tried to pull the other day was BS. I may love steam but I'm also objective. I'd give you a bone if you had a reason to have one.

BTW This whole thing (original thread disccusion) was because of Nvidia, not Valve, or Steam. 

• Like 1

No it's not. You've been reaching at straws the whole time. 

What I'm blown away at now is that on your super fast 100MB connection (that origin takes FULL advantage of but not steam) you were able to:

1) Notice the ping drop (this would take a second to realize)

2) alt tab out to windows

3) load taskman

4) scroll to the process of steam.exe

all of this while downloading a 1mb update from steam? If you're on a 100MB connection you never would have seen a blip. Everything you say doesn't add up. As far as I'm concerned you're on a pentium 4 with 256mb of ram running windows xp with your Geforce 8800GT. Either that or your a troll. Either way I get a laugh, because every time you reply it reminds me of a village without an idiot.

If you truly would like to talk about something steam does/did bad, why don't we discuss their implementation of Steam Guard. Obviously I love steam but the stuff that they tried to pull the other day was BS. I may love steam but I'm also objective. I'd give you a bone if you had a reason to have one.

BTW This whole thing (original thread disccusion) was because of Nvidia, not Valve, or Steam. 

My home connection pushed 700 kilobytes per second.

Updates for steam are 50MB.

That is two minutes of +250 ms ping (completely unbearable), assuming maximum utilization of home bandwidth minus utilization by game.

How can you defend Steam practice of screwing up your multiplayer? What if you are in them middle of a competitive match or something?

Better yet, why is it so difficult for steam to update when I am away from keyboard?

Steam maximum download speeds are less than origin when tested on a 100 MB connection.

And I quit CS:S then loaded up the task manager (~3 sec), went to the process that was downloading without my permission (~5sec). Lo behold steam.

Just because Steam is efficient at making love to your wallet doesn't not imply steam is a good game delivery platform.

That is two minutes of +250 ms ping (completely unbearable), assuming maximum utilization of home bandwidth minus utilization by game.

How can you defend Steam practice of screwing up your multiplayer? What if you are in them middle of a competitive match or something?

Better yet, why is it so difficult for steam to update when I am away from keyboard?

Steam maximum download speeds are less than origin when tested on a 100 MB connection.

And I quit CS:S then loaded up the task manager (~3 sec), went to the process that was downloading without my permission (~5sec). Lo behold steam.

Just because Steam is efficient at making love to your wallet doesn't not imply steam is a good game delivery platform.

Can I get the link to the taskman with network utilization per process display?

Cheers!

:/ So far i've read everything you've said about Steam, and most of it has been disproven as outright lies or incorrect knowledge. Here's a suggestion, why don't you stop complaining about non existent issues? I'm all for voicing opinions, but so far calling it bloatware is just plain stupid. I think you need to go look at the competition, aka Origin and really see how spoilt we are to use steam. Im and definitely not a long time user of steam, so I know when an app tries to pull funny business, but bloatware>? NOPE. And blaiming steam for multiplayer pings of a game is just plain stupid. There are numerous factors mediating ping 

:/ So far i've read everything you've said about Steam, and most of it has been disproven as outright lies or incorrect knowledge. Here's a suggestion, why don't you stop complaining about non existent issues? I'm all for voicing opinions, but so far calling it bloatware is just plain stupid. I think you need to go look at the competition, aka Origin and really see how spoilt we are to use steam. Im and definitely not a long time user of steam, so I know when an app tries to pull funny business, but bloatware>? NOPE. And blaiming steam for multiplayer pings of a game is just plain stupid. There are numerous factors mediating ping 

It's pretty much this. I have many, many hours clocked in Source multiplayer games (TF2, Dota 2, CS:S/GO, GMod) and I also opt-in to the client beta. I have yet to encounter a single case of these claimed "ping spikes" from a client update. (And I have a crappy 12Mbps connection to boot)

The closest issue I can think of that matches this issue is a misconfigured MTU size, HTTP based downloads can cause a connection to choke when MTU has been messed with.